20 Miler Bonk (Read 688 times)

Yesterday I went out for a 20 miler. Beforehand, I ate a bagel with cream cheese and a medium coffee. At about mile 6 I had a GU with water, and then at mile 9 I had a G2 drink. That was all. I was really struggling near the end.I think I was not running so much at slogging. Do you think I hit the wall? Should I have eaten more?
    JimR

Depends more on what you ate the days previous. Very long runs (say...17 miles or more), you need to carb load for them. You should eat a bit that morning too, but it's the reserves you built over the last few days that carry you through 20 milers.
      xor

What did you eat the day before? As for what to eat the day of, you ate more than I'd eat (and I'd have to skip the cream cheese because my stomach would not like that all). When you drank the G2 at M9, how much did you drink? You didn't down a 20oz bottle, did you? If so, that's a lot of fluid in your stomach at one time.

Dave

Could be a lot of things, Elisa. Was it warm and humid (69F and rainy is rough weather for a long run)? What time did you start? Just looking at your log, while you've been consistent, 20 miles is about half your weekly mileage and you had a pretty long gap between your last really long run and this one. I think the 20 may have been a bit of a stretch. On your nutrition, you may have needed something around mile 15 or 16 to carry you to the end. Did it happen all of a sudden or come on gradually? I bonked on my 18 miler and then went on to have a great 20 two weeks later. Try not to read too much into one lousy run.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

DoppleBock

Dehydration, fatigue and not enough sleep should be suspects that receive equal consideration. A 150 pound person burns Approx 100 calories per mile, if you are going slow enough then maybe 50% glycogen and 50% fat as fuel. I do agree that what you consume the morning of is less important than the day before.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Yeh, I had the whole bottle. I really hate carrying water with me when I run so I tend to drink it all when I stop and buy it. At mile 6 I downed 16 ounces of water. Slosh belly. The day before I had a veggie burger with cheese, vegetables and some bread for dinner. A bowl of cereal late in the evening. Breakfast was a sliimfast bar and lunch was a sandwich from Starbucks. I may just postpone the Marathon this time and do the half marathon. I have not been able to keep up with the training like I should have and I am afraid I am going to completely hate the whole experience. I have always loved running and I have found these long runs taking away some of my enjoyment.
                When I did my 20 miles, I took GU every hour or so. I would that may have helped.
                JimR

I may just postpone the Marathon this time and do the half marathon. I have not been able to keep up with the training like I should have and I am afraid I am going to completely hate the whole experience. I have always loved running and I have found these long runs taking away some of my enjoyment.
                  Whoa, whoa, whoa...hang on there. You've already executed a couple of big runs, and you're not injured (or at least you haven't said so) so you're getting there. 20 in 3 1/2 hours is not a bad pace for a long run. It kind of depends on when the race is, but with the training you've already put under your belt, the full isn't out of the picture for you. Approach the remainder of your training smartly. Fuel up going into these long runs. You'd carbo load for the race, right? Why wouldn't you do it for those big long runs? It's the same body going nearly the same distance. It's up to you if you want to cut back to the half and there's nothing wrong with that. Yes, these very long runs can suck big time, but you're likethisclosetoit and you just gotta suck it up a few more weekends.
                    My planned Marathon is in 3 weeks. In Denver. I was going to go out slow and try to enjoy the experience as best I could. I would hate to throw all those long runs down the toilet. I just felt my training wasn't enough. My long runs earlier in my training were so much easier. I think I need to eat better. And I am not injured. I have noticed as I get in the double digit runs, my hamstrings get really tight. Walking a bit seems to stretch them out.
                    DoppleBock

Yeh, I had the whole bottle. I really hate carrying water with me when I run so I tend to drink it all when I stop and buy it. At mile 6 I downed 16 ounces of water. Slosh belly. The day before I had a veggie burger with cheese, vegetables and some bread for dinner. A bowl of cereal late in the evening. Breakfast was a sliimfast bar and lunch was a sandwich from Starbucks. I may just postpone the Marathon this time and do the half marathon. I have not been able to keep up with the training like I should have and I am afraid I am going to completely hate the whole experience. I have always loved running and I have found these long runs taking away some of my enjoyment.
                      Did I read correctly - You drnak 16 ounces in 20 miles? I ran 20 0n Sunday and drank 80 ounces and it was cool (56) and I ran it in 2:26 so I was not out there that long. Dehydration may not have been the problem, but if you lose as little as 3% of you body weight in dehydration it can reduce your perfromance as much as 10%. So 8:00 miles become 8:48 add a little fatigue and it adds a minute or more.

DoppleBock

Why postpone ? Now you should start your taper anyway - 3 weeks

Actually had about 32 ounces in all; 16oz water with Gu and 16 oz G2 drink. I did lose more than a pound in weight from morning weigh in to post-run weigh in . I will go for it regardless of my spotty training. I would feel so bummed to get to the start line and not be running the full (fool as I may be).

Top 'O the World!

I with you on that Elisa! Past couple of months have shot holes in my training...but I'm still gonna go ahead & do it! As best as I can prep & do on Oct 19th..we're supposed to be in taper now....look at this fueling thing as a learning tool...what do you need to change?! & change it NOW....get your nutrition & hydration on board over the next three weeks - not IN three weeks! K?
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                              Cindy, we'll just have to shout encouragement to each other and we will finish. I have never had so many doubts as this marathon training has given me. Wink
                                I have never had so many doubts as this marathon training has given me. Wink
                                Doubts are normal before any race, especially a marathon. Trust your plan and enjoy the race... and maybe spread those water stops a bit more.

-------------------------------------
                                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07