New study: The 10k is increasing in popularity and on average, women are completing it faster than men (Read 265 times)

Latent Runner

Though I don't claim to be the authority...

I did nearly weekly road races back in the day (1977-1980) during high school and early college years. Most were oddball club runs around San Francisco in the 4-7 mile range. However if there were bigger races, they were almost always 10K's. I don't remember seeing many 5K's even offered. And the "Half" hadn't been invented yet (why would someone run a race based solely on a percentage of an established race distance?).

I ran a couple of 5 mile races and one 20 race, but other that those it was either 10K or Marathon. At least that's how I remember it.

I spent a lot of time in the Bay area back in the late 70s and early 80s and with one notable exception, I agree with your observations.  In May of 1980 I ran the Bay to Breakers, which if I remember correctly was something like 7.66 miles.

Edit:

I just looked it up, the race was 7.51 miles in 1980 (it is now 7.46 miles or 12K).  The year I ran it I was *just* fast enough to be far enough up in the pack to see Craig Virgin crest the top of the friggin' hill before he disappeared from view for the rest of the race. Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

more women are completing the race in under one hour than men."

(link)

That news doesn't surprise me.  Back in the 70's on my high school's cross country team, there wasn't even a women's team then.  I remember we allowed 2 girls to join the team because of that.  Yet now when I'm running on some trails I see lots of female high school running teams practicing out there.  And many a times, I've noticed more women than men running out there.  That was unheard of though back in the 70's.  Give Jane Fonda and the whole women's lib movement  credit for getting those girls off their butts.

#artbydmcbride

.  Give Jane Fonda and the whole women's lib movement  credit for getting those girls off their butts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX

Runners run

DaBurger

especially when a... not-rare consequence of Title IX is colleges drop their men's track and field programs...

Know thyself.

#artbydmcbride

especially when a... not-rare consequence of Title IX is colleges drop their men's track and field programs...

and do you blame the menfolk who make that decision, or do you blame Title IX and women......?

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Blame em all - let Gd sort them out.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

and do you blame the menfolk who make that decision, or do you blame Title IX and women......?

I blame Ilene!

an amazing likeness

TABLE 3: Number of 2012 U.S. Running Events

Distance

# of Events

% of Total

57%

12%

Half-Marathon

7%

8K/5mile

4%

Marathon

3%

Others

17%

TOTAL

SOURCE: Running USA powered by Athlinks

Typical U.S. Female Runner

Running Preferences Favorite race distance is the Half-Marathon (42.5%)

Interested in entering next year: Half-Marathon (80.5%), 5K (57.5%), 10K (57.1%), Marathon (41.1%)

And...this blast from the past.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And...this blast from the past.

But that was before people had running shoes.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

#artbydmcbride

I blame Ilene!

Embarrassed  <dammit, he's on to me!>

Runners run

DaBurger

I believe my ire is directed at the AD's that decide they need to keep football and then drop men's track so they can balance numbers (particularly in 2nd tier D-I football schools).  This happened to one of my friends who ran at a neighboring high school twice within 4 years.

I also believe I'm blaming the design and language of Title IX, since it can be interpreted in such a way requiring a school to cut existing programs.

MTA: The spirit of my original post is since there are fewer college track opportunities for men, I feel like fewer guys are continuing on with the sport, and exploring... other pursuits in college.

Know thyself.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Masochism defined.

It's nearly the pain of a 5k that lasts over twice as long.

+1

My one and only DNF was an attempt to crush my 10k PR which turned into an epic meltdown that crushed my soul.  Evil.

With a 5k, if it's going south, you just suck it up because it'll be over soon.  15k and up -- you can always downshift into I'm-doing-it-as-a-hard-training-run mode.  No such option for 10k -- it just grinds you into a twitching bloody pulp the whole way.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I'm from N. California as well (Seattle now) & this is exactly what I remember it back in the 70's & 80"s.  10k"s were the big event race distances back then & usually the only option.   no 5k's or even "kiddie races" to go along with the 10k.  smaller races there would be people writing down bib #'s & others writing down the times manually.   Come along way since then.

Though I don't claim to be the authority...

I did nearly weekly road races back in the day (1977-1980) during high school and early college years. Most were oddball club runs around San Francisco in the 4-7 mile range. However if there were bigger races, they were almost always 10K's. I don't remember seeing many 5K's even offered. And the "Half" hadn't been invented yet (why would someone run a race based solely on a percentage of an established race distance?).

I ran a couple of 5 mile races and one 20 race, but other that those it was either 10K or Marathon. At least that's how I remember it.

Doesn't matter, if you around during the 70's, society had conditioned women to stay away from basic exercise then such as aerobics. The whole movement for women became popular right when Jane Fonda came out with her workout tape in the early 80's.  Even my mom got started around then.