Tougher soles? (Read 909 times)

I have apair of Asics GT 2140 with 128 miles on them. My left heal outside (I pronate and heal strike) is about all ground down to the white sole.

All my shoes have this problem but this shoe is the worst. Anyone have any ideas about a shoe that can take this better?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Ojo

I have apair of Asics GT 2140 with 128 miles on them. My left heal outside (I pronate and heal strike) is about all ground down to the white sole.

All my shoes have this problem but this shoe is the worst. Anyone have any ideas about a shoe that can take this better?

Interesting . . . I wear the Nimbus Gels and recently noticed that I am having this problem much earlier too!  I asked my local running store and they said more people have been complaining about the wear.  I asked if I should switch shoes but they still thought this was the best pair for me.

Sara

MM #2929

No, the issue is not with the shoe.  YOU need to learn to land more softly.  Outcome may be the same but finding "better" shoe is only tampering--not the solution to the core of the issue.

No, the issue is not with the shoe.  YOU need to learn to land more softly.  Outcome may be the same but finding "better" shoe is only tampering--not the solution to the core of the issue.

I blame Air Force Basic. Our TI made us march 2 miles on our toes because he couldn't hear our heals hit the ground.

And I have been told by two different Running Stores that changing my strike is all but impossible at this point

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Ojo

Yeah, I know my stride is the issue too but the shoe is breaking down quicker for me.  I think my problem is that I drag my right foot when running up hills.

Sara

MM #2929

Last night after the One America Mini I was thinking of something along the the lines of a heal cup with a pin in it, When you strike the ground with too many Gs the pin sticks you. Land mid foot and the Gs are low enough to keep you pain free.

Any engineers out there that think it may work?

xor

Last night after the Indy Mini, I drank a beer.  Heh.

The thought of having pin(s) pokey poking me wigs me out.  There are lots of unforeseen circumstances beyond your control where you might hit the ground hard w/ your heel.  Ouch. 

Well I just had too much time to think about it I guess.

Last night after the One America Mini I was thinking of something along the the lines of a heal cup with a pin in it, When you strike the ground with too many Gs the pin sticks you. Land mid foot and the Gs are low enough to keep you pain free.

Any engineers out there that think it may work?

Just run barefoot, over glass. That will teach you to land more softly.

It would teach me to stay in the house on the couch and get fat AGAIN!!!

Just looking for a way not to grind off the left heal  This old dog is unlikely to learn a new trick. Or maybe some one here has an idea to get around that?

do some treadmill work with about a 3% incline, that will cause you to strike more midfoot. be careful not to do too much cuz youll feel all of it. once you get comfortable running that way, gradually bring down the incline.
                          Thanks I'll get that a try once I get over this damned head cold. I am paying the price for running the 500 Mini last Sat. 46 degrees and a west wind (READ HEAD WIND) of 26 mph for most of the first 9 miles. By Monday mid day I was getting sick and today it is Nyquil and vicks every 4 hours

Brooks Beast

Vim

Right now Shoe Goo. I'll the miles out of them