2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 445 times)

    Too bad the old boards (Runnersworld forums) aren't up

     

    Yes, that is too bad.

    Runners run.

    slingrunner


      I'll agree that you are right at the concept of a dead range, but it really is different for every runner.  If you accept that the 7-7:40 range is dead for all people whose marathon pace is within your certain 90 second per mile range or whatever, than for any given runner, that implies there is an over 2 minute range that they should never run in.  I will say that as a 3hr marathoner, that 7-7:40 range is fairly accurate for me (I'm almost never in it).

      5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

      JMac11


        Andres - my buildups generally consist only of easy mileage because I like building a good base before adding intensity. You may be right though, there has to be a happy middle ground here. I'll seriously consider changing up my schedule. I think something more like TLT where you're just doing 2 miles at T at the start and end of your workout will add a lot less stress on me than something like 4x2.

         

        Nimmals - not exactly sure what you're saying here. I think the point other posters are making is you quoted a 40 minute range of marathon times and then made a statement about paces which can't line up for the entire range, e.g. running 7:30 pace for a 2:40 marathoner is very standard easy running (and even a bit on the slower side), whereas it's marathon pace for a 3:20 marathoner and should only be done in the context of MP work. Maybe a better way to say it is that you shouldn't be running between MP and MP+10% very frequently. I also think people do come here to learn and exchange, if you look back through this thread and the 2018 thread, a good chunk of it is discussing these very ideas (easy pace running, purpose of MP workouts, structuring weeks, doubling, etc.) Maybe it was different on RW with a different subset of people, but that hasn't been the case here.

        5K: 17:51 (5/18)  |  10K: 35:59 (3/19)  |  HM: 1:16:21 (3/19)  |  FM: 2:44:43 (4/19) 

         

        Next Race: Breathe for Britt 5K (6/29/19) 


        Elite Jogger

          I'm back because I got my eyes on London 2020. Tee and I plan to shack up with Mikey and his Old lady for tea and crumpets.

          Where is Mikey anyway?

           

          Free Room and Board Mate

           

          I’m just back from a 5.4 mile run at 8:52 pace which I hope is ok with you. 😜

           

          Actually there was a poster on this thread last year BigGuySkinny, and he moaned every week about being too tired to do any speedwork or tempos, but ran everything in that ‘dead zone’ range and guess what? He became an expert at racing at his training pace. 🤦‍♂️

          5k - 17:53 (2019)   10k - 37:53 (2018)   Half - 1:23:18 (2019)   Full - 2:50:43 (2019)

          Nimmals


             

             

            Nimmals - Pretty ridiculous to admit you stopped posting 4 years ago on a different website than this and then come out of nowhere to talk shit about the people (many of whom are not the same) on these boards on a completely different website.

             

            This is why it always go south, I won't post anymore you  not looking to learn you're spoiling for an argument. I said i wont get into it or discuss further I've been around long enough to know how this all goes down.  Who did I talk shit about?  

             

            Someone quotes my 21 mile run and i state my "facts" on the pace I ran. Thereby I know what running that pace does for me NOTHING. If you don't understand ask in a PM rather than try to come opening your piehole saying I'm  talking shit about people. Especially if it came up in the context of My weekly mileage.

            Nimmals


               

              I’m just back from a 5.4 mile run at 8:52 pace which I hope is ok with you. 😜

               

              Actually there was a poster on this thread last year BigGuySkinny, and he moaned every week about being too tired to do any speedwork or tempos, but ran everything in that ‘dead zone’ range and guess what? He became an expert at racing at his training pace. 🤦‍♂️

               

              Wahhh 8:52 that was way too fast slow it down some more.  check mey strava my warm up was  2mi WU 99;43, 9;29  I slugged along at 9:52  for the cool down. No dead zone for me evers........

               

              Do you remember Thomas whose weekly average was about 7:15 to 7:20 did amazing workouts even my core strengthening workouts. Never ran to his potential. His predicament was solvable but people don't want to learn they want to experiment.

               

              I'll PM you we need to connect. Just so you know I came back for you and a few other old farts. Don't know how you're still on here. I had figured this board was a refuge for our old RWOL sub 3 group... Boy was I wrong I got attacked for posting "my own week???'  WTF how welcoming was that??? Man only in Trump country.

               

              Anyway, I found a way to get into London for 2020 so I'd like to connect. When I get there lets go out shoot breeze and have a good old GTG.

               

               

              To everyone else Sorry for wasting board space Sboon.....

               

              Swimmm no disrespect to you, I like you  always have.

                I've run 15 marathons with the last 9 being sub 3 (2008-2018).  I will say as a sub 3 hour marathoner that 90% of my running is between 7:00 - 7:40.  I also do hill sprints, track intervals, and tempo for the other 10% which are also very important.  In my experience, this theory of a dead range is complete nonsense.

                 

                I'll agree that you are right at the concept of a dead range, but it really is different for every runner.  If you accept that the 7-7:40 range is dead for all people whose marathon pace is within your certain 90 second per mile range or whatever, than for any given runner, that implies there is an over 2 minute range that they should never run in.  I will say that as a 3hr marathoner, that 7-7:40 range is fairly accurate for me (I'm almost never in it).


                Elite Jogger

                  Slammin, you are cracking me up! 😂.

                   

                  Ok, I’ll pencil you in for 2020.  Piwi Kiwi is coming over this year which should be fun!

                  5k - 17:53 (2019)   10k - 37:53 (2018)   Half - 1:23:18 (2019)   Full - 2:50:43 (2019)

                  JMac11


                    I've run 15 marathons with the last 9 being sub 3 (2008-2018).  I will say as a sub 3 hour marathoner that 90% of my running is between 7:00 - 7:40.  I also do hill sprints, track intervals, and tempo for the other 10% which are also very important.  In my experience, this theory of a dead range is complete nonsense.

                     

                     

                    Yeah, I have no idea what Nimmals is talking about. Nimmals - nobody attacked you for calling your own pace a BS dead zone or "posting your week", which is a convenient little straw man. In fact, all they said was your idea that 7:00 to 7:40 for 2:40 marathoners doesn't make sense, and then you took it very personally and said nobody on here wants to learn, they just want to brag about their times .

                     

                    Mikkey - Piwi has quit running, so I'm not so sure you're going to see him this year.

                    5K: 17:51 (5/18)  |  10K: 35:59 (3/19)  |  HM: 1:16:21 (3/19)  |  FM: 2:44:43 (4/19) 

                     

                    Next Race: Breathe for Britt 5K (6/29/19) 


                    Elite Jogger

                       

                       

                      Mikkey - Piwi has quit running, so I'm not so sure you're going to see him this year.

                       

                      Damn, I noticed that his last run was a few days ago so it would be a bit of a knee jerk reaction to suddenly quit running. He said his trip was paid for so hopefully he’s still coming over. He could always drop down to the 10k which starts half an hour before the marathon.

                      5k - 17:53 (2019)   10k - 37:53 (2018)   Half - 1:23:18 (2019)   Full - 2:50:43 (2019)

                      JMac11


                        I reached out to him on Strava, he seems pretty burned out by the whole thing, he was doing well at 50-55 mpw but then it fell off a cliff 2 weeks ago. I honestly thought he would make it and then quit. Maybe he just needs a down week. He did pay for it as you stated, so I would be surprised if he just gives up, it's not like it's a local marathon where he could do that.

                        5K: 17:51 (5/18)  |  10K: 35:59 (3/19)  |  HM: 1:16:21 (3/19)  |  FM: 2:44:43 (4/19) 

                         

                        Next Race: Breathe for Britt 5K (6/29/19) 

                        Nimmals


                          I've run 15 marathons with the last 9 being sub 3 (2008-2018).  I will say as a sub 3 hour marathoner that 90% of my running is between 7:00 - 7:40.  I also do hill sprints, track intervals, and tempo for the other 10% which are also very important.  In my experience, this theory of a dead range is complete nonsense.

                           

                           

                          I am happy for you! I would give you a medal but I'm sure you have 15.

                          Nimmals


                            Slammin, you are cracking me up! 😂.

                             

                            Ok, I’ll pencil you in for 2020.  Piwi Kiwi is coming over this year which should be fun!

                             

                            I'd love if I could maybe i can ship myself in IamDisappoint luggage. I'm sure he has a trick up his sleeve again.

                             

                            whats a straw man btw?


                            Elite Jogger

                               

                              I'd love if I could maybe i can ship myself in IamDisappoint luggage. I'm sure he has a trick up his sleeve again.

                               

                              whats a straw man btw?

                               

                              He’s not getting my London bib this year!

                              5k - 17:53 (2019)   10k - 37:53 (2018)   Half - 1:23:18 (2019)   Full - 2:50:43 (2019)

                              Nimmals


                                Maybe I can get Piwi's