Team in Training ? ? ? (Read 569 times)

Ben Running

Has anyone ever done Team in Training for a Marathon or Half Marathon? If so do you have any feedback you can share. How demanding is the training, how many days a week? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    xor

The training for a half or a full is the same regardless of whether you work with one of these raise-money orgs or not. All chapters for TNT will have coaches and mentors to help you with your training... but I'll tell you, the training from chapter to chapter varies quite a bit. Here's the thing you need to know. You have to raise money... quite a bit of money. This is a fine thing (the amount that TNT uses for for admin and overhead is pretty high, but that's a topic for another day)... but for most folks, raising money can be quite challenging. Again, as with the race training, TNT will help you with this. Sharing ideas, etc. It can be time consuming. And so it will come down to spending time to train for your race AND spending time to raise money. It is a big commitment. One that many find fulfilling. Alas, a lot of people start running out of time and some (not "many", but some) get caught in a conundrum. Some folks will spend the time raising money and not spend the time training. And when race day shows up, they run the race anyway because they don't want to let down their donors. Might be ok in a half. Not so ok in a full... especially if your destination is a tropical race like Maui or Honolulu. Yet people do it anyway. I used to see them in the med tent at Kona. Lots of them. Sometimes people will tell me "yes, but you see non-TNTers in the med tent too!" This is absolutely true. But at Kona it was a whole lot of purple. Before signing up, make sure you can put in the time to do BOTH aspects. Which, perhaps is why you are asking your question I suppose. Alas, there's not one answer. Be prepared to run 3-6 days a week. More mileage and more days of running will help you be better prepared for your race, just like if you weren't raising money. If you do sign up: GOOD LUCK. It's a lot of work, but most people I've known who have gone through the experience have gotten a ton out of it. And I and people in my situation have benefited from the money being raised. So THANKS. (all that said, I have personal frustrations with TNT and other orgs regarding their admin costs. It frustrates me greatly. But I can't deny the ultimate goodness of the money that DOES go to the cause)

C-R

SR hit the nail on the head. I'm doing TnT this Spring for Indianapolis (3rd time with LLS). Its a great experience and I've made some lifelong friends. You will need to be disciplined about training and fundraising. For us, we have group trianing on Sat and Thursday. All other miles you need to manage on your own. For me its been a great experience and I have very close personal reasons for doing this, but in the end, you will have to decide if it fits for you. Best of luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ben Running

I appreciate the feedback and i have to be honest i dont think the raising money thing is for me. Im all about donating but im not good at trying to raise money. I think i will handle the training on my own. Thanks again
            I appreciate the feedback and i have to be honest i dont think the raising money thing is for me. Im all about donating but im not good at trying to raise money. I think i will handle the training on my own. Thanks again
            +1
              I attempted a TNT event a few years ago. I had tons of fundraising problems. You had to meet a fundraising minimum of $2,400.00. If you didn't, you either had to donate the difference out-of-pocket if you wanted to race or not race at all. I didn't meet the minimum and I wasn't going to donate the difference, so I didn't race. However, I had already made an initial "donation" set-up fee which they required for me to even join the team. I want to say it was a few hundred bucks. Like everyone else said, I think it would be a good opportunity if you are great at fundraising.
              Roses Revenge

Ben, I don't know where you are located, but if the fund raising part will be difficult for you, you might check to see if there is an affiliate of USA Fit in your area. Our local group training plans seem to be pretty close to the TNT training plans, and there's no fund raising. I followed their schedule for my first marathon, without joining, and have been a member for the last two years. We start up again next weekend - although I won't make the kickoff since I'll be out of town doing a marathon. They do a great job of getting people from nothing to marathon in six months. They also have various groups within the main group based on time/experience. You can find them at www.usafit.com with a link at the bottom of the page to find a location.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!