Two black toenails after a race in Kinvaras (Read 1677 times)

If it's not causing any problem, I'm not sure if you want to look into it???  But I can't imagine your feet sliding all over the place every time you take a step while running can be comfortable.  I mean, do you see any reason why your foot needs to be sliding around in the shoe?  I don't.  So why have it?  Naturally, particularly if your foot slides around when you push off, you ARE losing energy to move forward.  Even the slowest person in the world would push off at the end of the foot.  If your foot is sliding around in the shoe, it's like running on the sandy beach, isn't it?  If you think you can PR running on the sand, by all means.  But if that doesn't make sense, you may want to do something about it.

I know I have an issue, not causing problems with feet itself but definitely losing some push off energy,  but not sure of the solution.  The sliding is noticeable mostly in races or when I am running a bit faster than usual.

Maybe lacing tighter would be an option but I think the issue is with the narrow feet as I also have heel slippage in some shoes which I kind of fix by "loop-lacing" through the last set of holes, Its just that it's kind of hard to find shoes narrower than the standard D width, can get wider shoes easily though.

I could also try a half size smaller, or women's shoes.  Work in progress....

But if you had to choose the fastest color -- all other things being equal -- it would be red, right? Or is it green. Maybe blue? Orange seems popular. Black seems cool too.

I would say the fastest color would be white.  Any color must have some color dye!!  That's extra weight.

xhristopher

If all those shoe sale people at the "running specialty" stores are doing a good job, there shouldn't be as many runners suffering from all these shoe problems, should there?

I've run almost 800 miles this year in two different pair of Asics Cumulus (neutral) and have had crews (not just one sales person) at two different "running speciality" stores tell me "I don't know why you aren't injured in them." The shoes have been great and it wouldn't be surprising if I buy another pair next year. They aren't helping their case by trying to put me in another pair of Kayanos (stability). Eff dat!

One of the biggest issues with having a shoe a half or even one size bigger "to have thumb width space" at the end of the shoe, and I don't think ANYBODY had ever addressed this issue; is the disalignment of foot-shoe shape (I don't know if it's the correct term but...).  So the shoe is built around the shape of the foot (supposedly).  And all of a sudden you get a shoe one full size bigger; where do you think the widest pat of the foot falls into?  It's not gonna be at the widest part of the shoe any more--it's slid a bit forward.  So now the widest part of the foot falls into about 1cm behind the widest part of the shoe.  This would give your foot the room to slide back and force and, most likely, get a blister right around the front part of the arch.  Also, and worse yet, with this sliding of your foot, during this so-called "energy-flow" cycle, your Achilles will be sliding backward and being jammed back into the Achilles tab which is supposed to protect your Achilles tendon.  I've seen more people getting Achilles problem wearing over-sized shoes than well-fitted shoes. 

A few years ago, one of the ladies I coach locally had this over-sized shoe (she was actually women's 9.5 but the store person insisted she should get on size bigger so she bought 10.5).  That was absolutely rediculously over-sized!!  She had worn them several times but I told her to bring them back and exchange them.  We shouldn't have people like that who only have "knowledge" from reading some magazine articles and have no common sense selling shoes at a so-called specialty stores...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My black toenails seemed completely random when I was wearing shoes.  Never knew when I was going to get them.  The last four just came off about a month ago.  Not planning on doing that again. Smile

I have toenail trouble in all of my shoes, and I have shoes, if you know what I mean.  I've tried sizing up.  I've tried lacing different lacing styles, tying them tighter and more loosely.  I thought it was because of racing in the rain.  All of those theories are going out the window.  The black toenails are typically on the same foot and and same toes.  I think it has to do with my feet, my leg length discrepancy and the way I run, more than my shoes.  Maybe it is a form issue I correct but maybe not.  I don't have any trouble unless it is a longer faster run but when I have trouble OUCH!  Fortunately, I don't notice it during races but it is very obvious shortly after.  My right leg is a little shorter and I think that in an attempt to even things out I push off of my toes.  Hence damaged toenails. 

Any other ideas?

Kristen:

Is it your right "twisted" foot? ;o)

I would say the fastest color would be white.  Any color must have some color dye!!  That's extra weight.

White commercial polymer filaments usually have titanium dioxide as the colorant.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

White commercial polymer filaments usually have titanium dioxide as the colorant.

Well, there you go.  How about non-colored; raw material color?  Maybe some puke color???

Do you have anything better to spend your time on? ;o)

flovesparko

One of the biggest issues with having a shoe a half or even one size bigger "to have thumb width space" at the end of the shoe, and I don't think ANYBODY had ever addressed this issue; is the disalignment of foot-shoe shape (I don't know if it's the correct term but...).  So the shoe is built around the shape of the foot (supposedly).  And all of a sudden you get a shoe one full size bigger; where do you think the widest pat of the foot falls into?  It's not gonna be at the widest part of the shoe any more--it's slid a bit forward.  So now the widest part of the foot falls into about 1cm behind the widest part of the shoe.  This would give your foot the room to slide back and force and, most likely, get a blister right around the front part of the arch.  Also, and worse yet, with this sliding of your foot, during this so-called "energy-flow" cycle, your Achilles will be sliding backward and being jammed back into the Achilles tab which is supposed to protect your Achilles tendon.  I've seen ore people getting Achilles problem wearing over-sized shoes than well-fitted shoes. 

Great insight.  I've been going up a size the last two pairs of shoes and have been thinking about these issues.

One of the biggest issues with having a shoe a half or even one size bigger "to have thumb width space" at the end of the shoe, and I don't think ANYBODY had ever addressed this issue; is the disalignment of foot-shoe shape (I don't know if it's the correct term but...).

Where have I read that before ... ?

Quote from CliveFenster on 11/5/2010 at 9:57 AM:

Generally speaking, the shoe gets wider as it gets longer, so it essentially maintains the proportion of the foot expected to fill it.  I'd think you also want to be sure that the shoe structures (e.g. arch, primary flex point across the forefoot) hit your foot where they're supposed to.

Cool

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Where have I read that before ... ?

Quote from CliveFenster on 11/5/2010 at 9:57 AM:

Cool

Okay, I'm tempted to say this straight but, without explanation, people may get it in a wrong way.  You may know that Japanese have a hard time with "L" and "R".  Years ago when Lorraine Moller went to Japan and ran Osaka marathons and Hokkaido marathons and winning them all, one time, she received a card from one of the major sponsors.  It read something like "Great Job!!" and you open up and there are a picture of two hands, and it said; "CRAP, CRAP, CRAP...!"  Of coruse, it's supposed to go "CLAP..."!

Right on, man!!  Of course, I didn't read that so good for you!  BY the way, got your PM so I'll respond it through PM later.  Gotta run.

xhristopher

Maybe some puke color???

Be careful what you wish for. Asics did just that with the DS Trainers.

I have the motorcycle helmet equivalent:

I brought it home, all fat and happy, and asked my wife what she thought of it.

She said it looked like someone ate a box of crayons and threw up on it.

-- Dick LeBeau

xhristopher

I brought it home, all fat and happy, and asked my wife what she thought of it.

She said it looked like someone ate a box of crayons and threw up on it.

Earlier I said I'm probably going to get another pair of DS Trainers for next year. Should I go for crayon vomit or conservative?

The shirtless wonder

Earlier I said I'm probably going to get another pair of DS Trainers for next year. Should I go for crayon vomit or conservative?

Crayon vomit.  The "louder" the running shoe the better.