Weekly volume at 50 years - cut volume and see gains? (Read 315 times)

vanhalen26

Hi there.  I've been reconsidering my running volume, wondering if maybe its too much?

I'm following a Daniels 2Q program this training cycle, and peaking at 90 miles a week.  I like the 2Q aspect of two quality sessions a week, as being 50 I need my recovery time from my hard sessions.  I feel good and have been injury free, and have been hitting my targets in my key workouts.

What I'm wondering though is maybe I'm in a position as a master of maybe less being more?  I'm considering dropping my volume to maybe a peak of 70 or 75 MPW for my next training cycle and seeing if the lower volume actually translates to faster paces for the key workouts as perhaps I'd be more fresh?

I'm not feeling fatigued as it is and running well (in shape for a 3:05/3:10 marathon), but again, just wondering what optimal volume might be at my age.

Anyone have experience with cutting volume as a master and getting faster as a result?

DoppleBock

Only way to find out is try.  I am 49 and trying to run consistently again - Comeback #20 since 2012.  To keep with running I think I will have to to try and average < 80 miles per week ... a few weeks will be above, but the average needs to be lower.  I do not have the desire to dedicate more time than that.  My other goal is to really pay attention to the purpose of the training run and not run any faster than required to hit that purpose.

It will be fun to hear how the lower volume produces results.

I'm not feeling fatigued as it is and running well (in shape for a 3:05/3:10 marathon), but again, just wondering what optimal volume might be at my age.

Anyone have experience with cutting volume as a master and getting faster as a result?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

runmichigan

I'm 55 and have not been able to get above 60 miles per week.  So it is my humble opinion that it depends on the individual.  You indicate that you are having no problem maintaining 90 miles a week, so there is nothing pushing you to cut back.  Of course MPW is only one factor.  Your training needs to have appropriate quality workouts and needs a balance of different type workouts.  But again given your times, it sound like you have both dialed in.

So it boils down to whether you want to conduct an experiment of one . . .

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I think a lot depends not on your absolute age, but on how long you've been running.  If you've maxed out your gains from volume, dropping volume might help as long as you compensate with added intensity, or some other way of adding a new stimulus.

Certainly for me I always saw increased speed with increased volume, but I never got to your kind of volume. But I agree with runmichigan that if you're not getting fatigued and can execute your workouts, there's no real reason to change. (And my max volume and best race times were at age 50.)

joescott

Like DB said, the only way to find out is to try.  During the highest mileage seasons I have ever run I was peaking in the mid to high 90s (within the last 3 or 4 years), but man, I just don't have the will to run that kind of mileage anymore.  Or at least I haven't this winter.  I think I could probably do it, but I'm currently topping out at about 80, running 1.5 quality runs per week, and I think it's about as good as it's gonna get.  Like ilanarama my best races have definitely come off of the highest volume.  I don't know.  If I felt as good as you describe, I think I would keep shooting for those 90s.  If you find the magic bullet to getting your mojo back after 50, let me know.  I'm actually intermittently depressed about the fact that I seem to have fallen off a sharp cliff the last couple of years, just after turning 50.  I've just gotten *worse* at all distances, and it seems like it's been almost overnight.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

paul2432

I'm 49 and in a similar situation.  Maybe it's true that trying it is the only way to find out, but boy, that is not a very satisfying answer.  As noted, at this age we are getting to the point where performance can really start to drop off.   Maybe you have one or two more shots at a sub-3:00 (or whatever your stretch goal may be) before age catches up with you.

Are you willing to risk a sub-par performance on the chance that it might work?  I know my answer.  I'm going to stick with what I know works for me, unless presented with convincing evidence that there is a better way.

have you considered going to a 10 day "week" training cycle/ schedule?

300m- 37 sec.

joescott

Are you willing to risk a sub-par performance on the chance that it might work?  I know my answer.  I'm going to stick with what I know works for me, unless presented with convincing evidence that there is a better way.

I surely understand your point, and I won't argue with you at all.  I think the short answer to the question posed by the OP is probably NO.  I've always been a firm believer that "miles do not lie."

In my personal case I just know that I don't seem to have the spirit to train as hard as I have in the past.  Furthermore, even for as hard as I am training it is certainly not moving the needle like it used to.  So based on that, I have this sense that I could pile on another 10-15 mpw and make my workouts better, and the return on investment might be quite small.  And the downside would be I'd be a tired dog all the time, I and I'd be a lot harder for my wife and kids to live with.  ;-)

I don't know.  I've always said that when I can't run as fast as I want to anymore I might just become one of those "50 state" guys.  :-)

- Joe

HermosaBoy

I can only give you a study of one -- myself at age 54.

Over the last few years, I have cut back my mileage from when I used to hit the 100s to occasionally sneaking into the 90s. This change is more a conscious decision to focus more on quality versus quantity.

How did I do this?

• Shortened my morning runs from up to 5 miles down to 2 miles (and dramatically slowed the pace).
                    • Decided against extended warm-up/cool-downs on workout days.

Other than that, I think I am still hitting the main quality workouts (in fact, maybe a bit more quality) and focusing on running easier on the other days. Also, I take close to a week off after a goal marathon.

With that said, I am actually running better at this age than I have in the past. Last year, I PR'd in the mile, 15k and the marathon and was within a few seconds of several other PR's.

Your mileage may vary. Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

joescott

That is pretty cool that you PR'd all those races at 53.  You inspire me.  :-)

- Joe

HermosaBoy

That is pretty cool that you PR'd all those races at 53.  You inspire me.  :-)

Hoping to break a few of them again this year...

Rob

Hoping to break a few of them again this year...

Curious what your mile was..?

Care to share? or feel free to PM.

I'm hoping to PR this year or next, at 37/38. I think I may be able to break my mile, definitely my 5k with training, I use to have some short distance speed, hope I can get some of it back.

thanks.

300m- 37 sec.

HermosaBoy

Curious what your mile was..?

Care to share? or feel free to PM.

4:57.9

Rob

mikeymike

Great stuff HermosaBoy. I forget--when did you start (or at least get serious) about running?

Runners run

HermosaBoy

Great stuff HermosaBoy. I forget--when did you start (or at least get serious) about running?

I was an athlete growing up and then took a hiatus when I had kids.  Started running at 39 -- jumped right to the marathon on very little training. Then somehow stuck with it. I would say I got serious maybe a year or two later when I started trying to qualify for Boston.

It's been a heck of a ride...

Rob