A word to the people who tell us "running is bad for you" (Read 279 times)

SamStevo

Okay so whenever it comes up that myself or soemone else is a runner there's always the guy who needs to tell us that running is bad for you. Here's the thing though: a very good majority of us see the health benefits of running as a secondary reason why we run. The primary reason is loving the ability to work and focus on something and see yourself get rewarded. It's to embrace the love of going on runs, training, and going out and showing the world what you've got on race day. If my joints are bad when I'm 70, so be it. Because I will have had over 50 years of pure enjoyment and love within running.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

If someone tells me running is bad for you, my question to them is what is their vice? If they are dumb enough to make that statement to me, they aren't going to change their mind no matter what I say.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I usually say that studies show that active people have LESS trouble with their joints.  And that it's the only way I've found to keep off weight.  Then I change the subject.

Marky_Mark_17

The joints thing is a myth and has been proven to only be an issue where people had a pre-existing issue/weakness anyway.

But yeah, I totally agree.  Life is for living!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

kkittenkat

English Villian

The joints thing is a myth and has been proven to only be an issue where people had a pre-existing issue/weakness anyway.

But yeah, I totally agree.  Life is for living!

They used to believe that very high impact sports were bad for you in childhood. I was a competing gymnast from age 6 to 22, before they had sprung floors. So yeah, um, a lot of landing impact through the body.

They then subsequently found out that the bone density in women like me, is so much better for the impact stuff.

But, running is a killer for sure Wink

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

The really funny part is that most of the people who've told me I'm wrecking my knees by running are in terrible shape.  I just chuckle to myself and wonder what's worse - running year-round or subjecting your joints to 10-50+ extra pounds year-round?

an amazing likeness

Hmm...How many of those people do you think are reading a website called RunningAhead which is focused on running.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I notice a lot of cyclists who tell me running is hard on my joints have had bad crashes.......

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

paul2432

The really funny part is that most of the people who've told me I'm wrecking my knees by running are in terrible shape.  I just chuckle to myself and wonder what's worse - running year-round or subjecting your joints to 10-50+ extra pounds year-round?

Forces from running are typically 2-3X body weight.  A 150 lb runner experiences more impact force than a 200 lb walker.

Still kicking

I'm at an age were I've attended too many funerals, and many of my peers have had knee/hip surgery/replacement. So far none of them have been runners.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Hmm...How many of those people do you think are reading a website called RunningAhead which is focused on running.

I laughed.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

kkittenkat

English Villian

I laughed.

I've started counting.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My wife is always concerned about my health when I ramp up the mileage during a marathon cycle.

She goes to Zumba classes twice a week and thinks that is a much healthier lifestyle. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I still see articles saying running more than like 2 hours a week is very bad for you and will decrease your lifespan. Investigation will find those studies to be based on poor data. I sometimes hear from people close to me that I am too old to be running 26.2 miles. I have to go by how I feel and when I am inactive I do feel old and sluggish. My joints hurt more when I am not doing training.  Running keeps me in good shape. Regardless, as you say running is my fun activity and I accept whatever level of danger that goes with it. Lots of sports involve greater risks and many other recreational pastimes are definitely unhealthy. Nothing beats going outside for a long run and seeing the wonders of nature - the ever changing sky, trees, animals, ponds, streams and all. My life has much stress and running helps me relax.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                              Get up, get out, get out of the door!

kkittenkat

English Villian

My wife is always concerned about my health when I ramp up the mileage during a marathon cycle.

She goes to Zumba classes twice a week and thinks that is a much healthier lifestyle. 

So after Ironman and double Ironman, I mused to my Mum that there was a job going with the Forestry Commission.

Her answer: "Won't that be a bit physical for you?"