A word to the people who tell us "running is bad for you" (Read 279 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So after Ironman and double Ironman, I mused to my Mum that there was a job going with the Forestry Commission.

Her answer: "Won't that be a bit physical for you?"

You ran a fucking double Ironman and lived to tell the tale???

Don’t be so fucking stupid next time...I think you should go for two 1 hour Zumba sessions per week.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SamStevo

Hmm...How many of those people do you think are reading a website called RunningAhead which is focused on running.

touché

kkittenkat

English Villian

You ran a fucking double Ironman and lived to tell the tale???

Don’t be so fucking stupid next time...I think you should go for two 1 hour Zumba sessions per week.

I didn't have the energy to fuck whilst I was doing it! It's a long way, I'll have you know!

SamStevo

I still see articles saying running more than like 2 hours a week is very bad for you and will decrease your lifespan. Investigation will find those studies to be based on poor data. I sometimes hear from people close to me that I am too old to be running 26.2 miles. I have to go by how I feel and when I am inactive I do feel old and sluggish. My joints hurt more when I am not doing training.  Running keeps me in good shape. Regardless, as you say running is my fun activity and I accept whatever level of danger that goes with it. Lots of sports involve greater risks and many other recreational pastimes are definitely unhealthy. Nothing beats going outside for a long run and seeing the wonders of nature - the ever changing sky, trees, animals, ponds, streams and all. My life has much stress and running helps me relax.

when is RunningAhead going to get a like button.. in need of one here

kkittenkat

English Villian

And yeah, Zumba is bad Juju!

kkittenkat

English Villian

touché

Frogs can't run. You are living proof that non runners read this forum.

I rest my case m'Lord.

SamStevo

So after Ironman and double Ironman, I mused to my Mum that there was a job going with the Forestry Commission.

Her answer: "Won't that be a bit physical for you?"

How did you not quit running after this.. or quit biking.. or swimming... or literally quit all exercise? maybe that's what your mum thought.. that you didn't want to exercise again xd emoticon

I didn't have the energy to fuck whilst I was doing it! It's a long way, I'll have you know!

This sentence can be taken 2 ways 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

kkittenkat

English Villian

How did you not quit running after this.. or quit biking.. or swimming... or literally quit all exercise? maybe that's what your mum thought.. that you didn't want to exercise again xd emoticon

I quit ultra long distance after it, and I'll tell you exactly why.

It was a while ago that I did the double IM (Summer 2009), I then competed in an ultra (only just an ultra at 30 miles), which was close to my heart because I knew the race director and race crew; and it was set up as a memorial race to a runner that used to run along a particular canal here in England from Stratford-Upon-Avon (birthplace of Shakespeare) to Birmingham.
                    I wanted to win that race (well first female), because I knew I could.
                    The ultra was in the Autumn, so only about 3 months after the double IM. I led the female race for 20 miles and then my body literally said "NO".

I stopped, I cried (I rarely cry. If you witness me cry it's like spotting a Yeti). The race director met me at the checkpoint I gave up; gave me his coat and then my mates took me to the conveniently situated pub by the canal bank and got me pissed. Great end to a bad start!
                    But I'm going off topic...
                    I think for me I did the whole triathlon and running 'ultra' thing in two years and then I stopped. I actually have zero interest now in just chugging along for miles in whichever sport. Do it and then get out is my motto.
                    Which might lead to the fairly inevitable question. Which is harder, a 5k or an ultra? My answer on this will always remain the same. They are both equally as painful if you give your all, and neither trumps the other. Short is an intense hit of pain like a snake bite or hornet sting; long is like being slowly killed by a cat who just wants to play with its food first, before the kill.
                    If you want any more of my uplifting motivational talks. I'm here all week! Smile

kkittenkat

English Villian

Just to add, that DNF I've cited has been my only one ever. I have a lot of DNS's, but that's another discussion.

kkittenkat

English Villian

This sentence can be taken 2 ways 

Story of my life.

kcam

My wife is always concerned about my health when I ramp up the mileage during a marathon cycle.

She goes to Zumba classes twice a week and thinks that is a much healthier lifestyle. 

It almost assuredly IS healthier than the obsessive/compulsive hard training many marathon runners do (including myself).

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Fuck off!....being able to fuck whilst doing it is a great achievement!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

kkittenkat

English Villian

Jeez, I'm nearly 47 (but with zero cellulite, I'll have you know!)
                              My background is teaching and lecturing in sport, from secondary to degree level. I left that about 10 years ago and changed direction totally (still within Education).
                              I'm being tempted back to the dark side, which I won't ultimately give in to. BUT, I did an 'indoor group cycling instructor course' on Monday. Obvs not allowed to call it spin as that is a brand name, and costs a whole heap of shit to get branded for an activity that isn't rocket science: But we're all sitting on bikes that go nowhere, basically. AND some of the idiots on the course, which a sports centre manager insisted they be on: Have never sat on an indoor bike.

My point is that to be an instructor in any aspect of the fitness industry; you should have experience in your chosen field.

kkittenkat

English Villian

Careful! You'll get a reputation in the online 'running' community that 'might not be accurate' at all.
                                Someone sent me a post from a private group here; that was basically  a woman ranting about who I am/what I've done/how she saves us all by pointing out my evil intent etc... And how Eric (the owner of this site) has tried to ban me and the whole of England.
                                It's SO funny. I wouldn't mind if she was part of the historic RWOL community as was; and that was the situation.

But it's not, and she's just trying to make herself..... Involved.