Garmin 305 - crazy elevation readings around tall buildings??? (Read 1639 times)

noahhendy

I run in Boston along the Charles River and finish at my office across the street from the John Hancock tower. When I load my Garmin data, the elevation goes from around sea level and suddenly SKYROCKETS to like 250 feet in a fraction of a mile. You'd think I was Superman.

Has anybody else encountered this? It happens every time. It's very bizarre.

Garmin elevation is only slightly better than you would get by pulling numbers from a random number generator.  I haven't looked at the watches elevation data since about a week after I got it.  It is just completely useless.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

Garmin elevation is only slightly better than you would get by pulling numbers from a random number generator.  I haven't looked at the watches elevation data since about a week after I got it.  It is just completely useless.

I've ran out and back courses and it's quite amusing to see the randomness of the elevation mappin. Yes, Garmin elevation is useless. 

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ymmv

Its not just the 305. My 405 will often get a bad initial location at some absurd altitude. I've started wondering if its actually a problem with the GPS satellites.

For example, this morning I located satellites and started running. My 1-mile auto-lap feature started beeping every few seconds. I stopped and lap-reset a few times till it settled down, but I also saved uploaded the resulting 'workout' and course here:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/8d3e7f3d441c43bda9540bb149d88cc5/workouts/4fc4c0f805f645d38e734116bfd20a3a/map

You can switch to the 'summary' tab to see the garmin reported intervals

By the way, I had to manually fudge the total time (Info - Duration), as RA would not let me save this as a run or anything else. It kept giving me the message "Do you really run this fast?" Cute. I don't run that fast, except maybe the part where I apparently went from 10000 feet to 2000 feet in one second.

The gps elevation is not accurate. But you can use other apps to correct this. Try sporttracs with the elevation correction plugin.
              AnneCA

In addition to the other Garmin elevation issues, I do think there's something to the tall buildings theory.  Garmin elevation does seem to get remarkably less accurate around tall buildings.  Check out the last two miles of this course.  The elevation is noisy but in the ballpark if you squint from a distance -- until you get to the last two miles of the course.  And that's where the tall buildings are.  I am quite sure I did not go over a 600 foot hill in 1/4 mile at mile 20.  I would have remembered that.  The rest of the course isn't exactly open grasslands, but the mid-height buildings and trees don't seem to create nearly as much elevation noise as the skyscrapers of downtown.
                RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Readings are impacted by the fact that the GPS signal(s) bounce of the buildings and so you may receive the same transmission from two or more sources.  This causes variations in timing hence impacting accuracy.  The result is general crappyness in urban areas.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Imminent Catastrophe

GPS works on triangulation, the more satellites received, the more accuracy. The watch receives fewer satellites around tall buildings. Fewer satellites = less accurate triangulation in both elevation and position, and takes longer to initially acquire a signal. In NYC typically on 5th Avenue my 405 usually won't acquire a sufficient signal until I get to the open (park). Multipath (bouncing off buildings) may add to the problem.

The elevation inaccuracy, even when getting many satellites, has been discussed extensively. It all boils down to satellite geometry.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

There is clearly something new wrong with my 305's elevation data......it actually produced a reasonable elevation chart.  The top is Garmin, the bottom RunningAhead.  I was running on a small road through a pretty tall forest.  I would not have called my view of the sky good, but this is one of the more accurate charts I have seen from my watch.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

There is clearly something new wrong with my 305's elevation data......it actually produced a reasonable elevation chart.  The top is Garmin, the bottom RunningAhead.  I was running on a small road through a pretty tall forest.  I would not have called my view of the sky good, but this is one of the more accurate charts I have seen from my watch.

The top chart looks like it's from MotionBased.  If so, is MBGravity (elevation correction) turned on?  Just curious.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

ymmv

There has always been the issue of inaccurate elevation data, along with inaccurate lat/lon especially in the vicinity of buildings, under bridges, etc.

The new issue I have been seeing is, under a clear, unobstructed sky, having it put my location at 800 feet to as much as 10,000 feet higher than I actually am. I have only seen this level of altitude error in the past month or so.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I run in Boston along the Charles River and finish at my office across the street from the John Hancock tower. When I load my Garmin data, the elevation goes from around sea level and suddenly SKYROCKETS to like 250 feet in a fraction of a mile. You'd think I was Superman.

Has anybody else encountered this? It happens every time. It's very bizarre.

I get this on a section of rail trail that goes under a 4 lane business route where I live.  It's pretty funny.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I use mine in San Francisco and I don't get weird elevation readings, but I can't pick up the initial signal when I am downtown.  If I start running I can pick it up when I move away from the buildings, and I keep the signal when I run back into downtown at the end of my run (even among the tall buildings), but it is just the initial reception I can't get.  Does anyone else have this issue - or any tips on how to fix it?  It doesn't matter how long I stand outside at the start of the run, I can't get reception.
                              AnneCA

See if it will get reception in your office, and, if so, get it turned on and located before you actually head out on your run.  Then all you have to do is hit start.  I haven't noticed any increased difficulties getting a signal when indoors, and I'm happy to avoid that awkward time of standing around on the sidewalk waiting for the satellites to find me.  If you do lose satellite contact at some point after you've found it in your office -- like on the elevator or something -- GPS is a lot faster at refinding a recently dropped satellite than it is at booting up and finding a satellite anew.