What are some Hard Marathons to run? (Read 3850 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, you may have read more into that than I intended. Certainly given his experience the day before, he was rightly upset. But I don't think he was directed off course so much as went off course and then chose not to finish the competition.
    xor

Yeah, you may have read more into that than I intended. Certainly given his experience the day before, he was rightly upset. But I don't think he was directed off course so much as went off course and then chose not to finish the competition.
      Fair enough. And like I wrote (I may have added it after you read that post), he didn't seem to know he was about to run some hella hard trail before the race started. Would certainly have freaked me out to be in road shoes on that course. Now that we've thrown this into a tangent, I'll just say that Haulin Aspen is only normal-hard for a trail race, and not hardest-hard. Or even hardy-har.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I also noticed in that Maniac discussion a similar experience bias, where the hardest marathons could only come from among those some of the posters had run. What is on your ranked list?
        Carps10

the difficulty is gonna be much more dependent upon how fast you run than it will be on the topography...unless your goal is just to finish the race
          xor

I also noticed in that Maniac discussion a similar experience bias, where the hardest marathons could only come from among those some of the posters had run. What is on your ranked list?
            I haven't done enough trail (and probably won't) to feel comfortable ranking those. I will say that it is unlikely to find a harder 26.2(ish) race than Pikes Peak and Leadville. Mid-Mountain was hard for me. Kilauea is also spectacularly challenging, but they changed the course this year (something about the volcano erupting, heh) and this year's course was a bit easier. Road marathons... as of this moment, not too different from what I put on page 1: 1. Crater Lake 2. Estes Park (a slight gap) Grandfather Mountain (a bigger gap) Heart of America (gap) Big Sur (gap) Mt Desert Island (people keep trying to compare this to Big Sur. NO. Just, no. Since I haven't put 10 out there, I suppose that races like Hatfield-McCoy and Pocatello might start showing up... but I am fully confident that there are harder races. Oh yeah, back to the whole "hard" concept. One way to measure "hard" is based on finish time. The delta between my best times on the really hard courses and an average race day is about 30 minutes. But here's the thing... I felt fine enough after Crater Lake to run another race the next day. And I was fine after Estes Park. This is because I can handle going up. Another way to measure "hard" is based on how I feel afterwards and if I need to take time off. This is where the really hot-n-humid races and the monster downhills start becoming issues. My time may have been in my normal range, but if I feel like crap for days afterwards, well, that race was HARD.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't know if hard can be measured by how you feel the next day (or, more precisely, two days later) since rolling courses tend to spread out the beating better than flat courses even though a rolling course may be harder. Chicago or Louisville, for example, are pancake flat and can really tear you up, but they are considered easy.
              xor

I don't know if hard can be measured by how you feel the next day (or, more precisely, two days later) since rolling courses tend to spread out the beating better than flat courses even though a rolling course may be harder. Chicago or Louisville, for example, are pancake flat and can really tear you up, but they are considered easy.
                Subjective, different for different people. I have no physical issues after the flat ones. I just find myself bored out of my skull. But flat's no problem. DOWNHILL is another story. I think that if something makes me feel poorly for awhile, I'm allowed to call it "hard". If something takes me longer than it normally does, that can also be "hard". Different kind of hard.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Lots of different kinds of hard. That is what makes it fun. Tupelo, in 10 days, is hard due to the heat and humidity, although this year may yet be cool...
                    Chicago or Louisville, for example, are pancake flat and can really tear you up, but they are considered easy.
                    Define, "tear you up" on one of these flat courses.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Use the same muscle groups without relent for 2+ hours -> pain, soreness, weakness and potential failure to load.
                        That don't make no sense!! To me it seems flat would equate to using all the leg muscles evenly, and not overloading particular ones required to climb and descend.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

xor

Imminent Catastrophe

I was looking at that graph of St George and my quads cramped up.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

That don't make no sense!! To me it seems flat would equate to using all the leg muscles evenly, and not overloading particular ones required to climb and descend.
                              Now how does that make sense? On varying terrain, you use differing muscles groups; on flat terrain, you use the same muscles the whole time. You think you overload muscles less by using identical muscles the whole time and more when you're constantly using different ones? I get Trent's point, and find that its true for me. I prefer hills. Within reason, of course. With the Monkey being beyond the reasonable limit.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, hills are nice, to a point. I'd say that courses like Chickamauga, Tupelo, CMM, and the like, with some hills but not too much, are easier on the legs than really flat ones like Mardi Gras, Dubai, Jacksonville, etc. There's a point where the hills get to be too much. Heat/humidity can vary year-to-year so you can't really judge a course on that, except locations where it's almost always warm and humid (H&M, Honolulu, Mumbai, in that order).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016