heart rate or pace? (Read 764 times)

rkeddie

I am getting ready to start training for my next marathon this fall. Would I be better served to train at the appropriate hr for each of my runs ( general aerobic / easy / lt - I am using Pfitz ) and hope that the pace speeds up for each of those hr zones, or should I train at the correct pace for each of those runs ( based on my goal time and the McMillan calculator ) and hope that my hr comes down?
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I am getting ready to start training for my next marathon this fall. Would I be better served to train at the appropriate hr for each of my runs ( general aerobic / easy / lt - I am using Pfitz ) and hope that the pace speeds up for each of those hr zones, or should I train at the correct pace for each of those runs ( based on my goal time and the McMillan calculator ) and hope that my hr comes down?
      Training paces in McMillan are based on your current time in a race, not a goal time. If you enter goal time into a running calculator such as McMillan, Daniels, etc., it will give you training paces that you are probably not ready to run, and you run the risk of injury. Use a recent race time in McMillan, and you will get a reasonable idea of what paces to train at. HR varies too much based on weather, fatigue, etc. to use purely for training IMHO (better just a as a guide for when you're going too fast). Use McMillan based on a recent race to get an idea for training paces, then run by feel. What is your fall marathon goal? What's your most recent race. If you make your training log public (Click on Options in the upper right of the screen, then select My Log Preferences --> Allow everyone to see my running log). Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

rkeddie

I am posting from my phone now and can't change my prefs, but will change it when I get home later. I am shooting for a 3:45, so I am not asking for the world, but in my most recent race last month I crashed hard halfway through and only pulled a 2:01 Hm. My main concern would be that if I used paces generated as a result of a poor performance, it won't allow me to improve.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I am posting from my phone now and can't change my prefs, but will change it when I get home later. I am shooting for a 3:45, so I am not asking for the world, but in my most recent race last month I crashed hard halfway through and only pulled a 2:01 Hm. My main concern would be that if I used paces generated as a result of a poor performance, it won't allow me to improve.
          If you have another recent race at a different distance, you can use that in McMillan as well. You could also make a realistic estimate of what you think you should have run in that recent half and plug that into McMillan.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Agree with Jeff. Training paces should be based on current fitness, not goal fitness. They should also be based on current weather conditions, not the "ideal" conditions that you hope to have when you run your goal race. A convenient way to keep training paces current with both fitness and seasonal weather changes is to run a short (5-10k) race periodically....once/month is good. Jeff is right about HR for specific paces varying with conditions, especially weather. However, that's OK. It will still have you training in the appropriate intensity ranges. The variation in HR between cold and hot days is not really different than the variation in race paces between cold and hot days. Perceived effort or "feel" is another method that many runners use for determining training intensities. It takes all variables into account.
            rkeddie

I made the log public. I will probably recalculate McMillan based on a 1:50 HM and see what that comes up with. I have 24 weeks until the marathon, so I am just trying to get everything dialed in as much as possible now. Thanks for the help so far!
              rkeddie

Agree with Jeff. Training paces should be based on current fitness, not goal fitness. .
                Dumb question then, but at what point do you decide what your goal pace is? And how?
                  Another vote for pace based on current fitness, NOT goal
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                  protoplasm72

Dumb question then, but at what point do you decide what your goal pace is? And how?
                    You don't have to choose until race day. Actually I like the saying "You don't choose your pace, it chooses you." Weather, injuries, etc.. all play a big role in what your goal should be. Just do your training at your current fitness level and you'll figure out your race pace by the time the day gets here. And remember your training paces don't have to remain the same during your whole training schedule. As your fitness improves you can start upping the pace.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Hawt and sexy

This one is easy, if you don't know your current fitness or easy pace, use a HRM. If you are really good at running be feel, then do that. My only reservation would be with using Pfitz's HR zones if you chose the HRM route. They are very aggressive and geared more for the elite/sub-elite crowd. I would find an easier set of zones to use. I am a LHR trainer, so I used HADD's zones for a high max HR during my peak phase (My max HR is over 200).

I'm touching your pants.

Not a dumb question at all. A perfectly good one. Protoplasm offered a very good response. Not only do you not have to finalize a goal for the race until race day, but you shouldn't. That isn't to say that you can't have a goal in mind....even from day 1 of the training cycle. But your training and race day conditions have to support the goal. If they don't, then it should be changed. As training progresses and your fitness, hopefully, improves, your goal should be adjusted to match the progress that you make (or don't make, as the case may be). A good way to do that is to run a short race (8-15k is good) periodically, such as once/month. That will provide inputs to adjust training paces and keep your marathon goal updated. A final race about 3-5 weeks before the marathon should be used to finalize a goal....but it still is subject to change for race day conditions in the event they are particularly bad. For comments on setting a goal based on using a short race as a measure of conditioning, see Predicting A Marathon Time. The Runworks calculator can be used to adjust a goal for unfavorable weather and terrain conditions.
                          Yes.
                          Carps10

Just go by feel. If you're not winded, it's easy. If you're slightly winded, it's tempo. If you're really winded, it's speed work. Be careful going by paces based on your prs. According to Daniels, I should do my easy runs at 6:30 pace, but I don't. Why? Because my prs were set in totally different situations. When I ran my prs, I was tapered, the weather was perfect, I was on a flat track, and I was wearing spikes. When I do training runs in the summer, the course is hilly, the weather is hot, I'm wearing trainers, and I'm not tapered...so I run 7-7:30 pace