Who needs long runs and shoes? (another Baystate report) (Read 857 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Several other people have already written great reports from the recent Baystate Marathon, but I thought I'd share a little bit about my training and race for the benefit of others who are trying to become marathoners. This was my fourth marathon, and it was the first one I felt like I was really prepared to go out and race. My previous marathon, Vermont City 2007, was a 3:41, and my previous PR was from Cape Cod in 2001 (3:31). In the past I didn't really have a solid understanding of what the correct effort level was, and I'd crash and burn really hard in the last 4-8 miles. I ran a 3:05 at Baystate, and it was by far the easiest, most comfortable marathon I've run. My last six miles were actually the fastest. The wind that several people mentioned toward the end didn't even faze me. I suspect the strong finish means I could have run faster for the first 20. My training in the weeks before this race was actually pretty haphazard. September was my lowest mileage month all year. I didn't really do the typical progression of long runs. My longest was less than 15 miles. I took three weeks almost entirely off at what would normally be the peak training time (due to travel and then a cold). What made all the difference was 16 months of consistent easy running. After my last marathon in May 2007, I made two significant changes to my training: (1) I made a deliberate effort to slow down and learn to run at a true easy pace for 90% of my runs, and (2) I weaned myself away from typical running shoes and found my natural gait, which made all the old aches and pains go away. These two things together kept me healthy and energetic enough to keep training consistently. The other big benefit of slowing down was that it helped me to finally understand what the different effort levels feel like. When you're mistakenly running your easy runs at tempo pace, it's pretty mysterious how you find marathon pace, or tempo pace. A heart rate monitor is a helpful tool for learning these things. In the race I stayed below 84% max for the first half, and I didn't average higher than 90% over any mile. I ran Baystate in my FiveFingers, which have absolutely no padding or support. My pair is up to almost 1000 miles. My feet are fine. They were pretty tired by the end of the race, but no damage beyond what's normal for a marathon. No black toes, one minor blister that's already healed up well enough to run on. If the weather was warmer I would have been tempted to go entirely barefoot, especially now that I've seen the course and know it's all well within the bounds of surfaces I routinely run barefoot. Unlike my previous races, my quads felt fine the day after -- tired, but not broken. I used to beat them to a pulp with my old gait. My knees are completely pain free, and have been for over a year. This will probably be my fastest marathon recovery. Amazing how nice running is when you're doing it right. There was one other thing I did differently to prepare for this race. I made a conscious effort to rehearse the mental strategies I knew I'd need to stay focused and motivated toward the end of a long race. During training runs I would visualize myself in the marathon, and literally practiced keeping myself positive. Even silly things can really work, like forcing yourself to smile. When race day came, I never really found myself in that dark place that always used to come in the last miles. I don't know what part of that was the physical training, and what part was the mental (if there's even a meaningful distinction). So my advice: 1. Run easy. Really easy. It should be a joy to get out and run every day, if it's not, you're not running easy. Think about running for the long term. Be patient. 2. Question the dogma that you need to compensate for your weaknesses with particular shoes. Maybe you'd be happier (and faster!) if you hunted down your weaknesses and destroyed them instead. 3. Remember that you're training your mind as well as your body. Be thankful for the days when you're out training in a gale force wind, or rain, or snow. They're an opportunity to sharpen your focus. Next goal is 2:55 at Boston. Smile
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Think Whirled Peas

Dude, you KILLED IT. Nice job, and great report!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Why is it sideways?

Ed, that's awesome stuff. I'm envious of your barefooting.

Flat footer

Funny today I set out on my recovery run and I was thinking... I was going to start running my easy runs easy for now on. After your post it is set in stone. Congrats on your PR and thats for the advice!
          nkeliher

Running nut

Great job - didn't know you were a barefoot runner. Now I'm intrigued by those FiveFinger thingies.
            kcam

Ed That's a great story! I agree with so much of what you said. I try not to be that person out on the trails who looks like they're absolutely miserable - slow down if you have to, work on your form on easy days (which should be almost all of them), take a look at what's around you and notice all the cool stuff out there and, yes, smile a little. After all you're having fun, aren't you? Congrats on a PR 7 years after your previous PR. That's an impressive feat in marathon running.
              mikeymike

That's awesome. Good lessons learned in there. Are you going to run Boston barefoot?

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

What made all the difference was 16 months of consistent easy running.
                  After I finished my first marathon last year I decided to wait two years until my next one. I want to go for a BQ and I figured that I needed to run some consistent mileage over a long period of time in order to give it my best shot. So I really appreciate the statement you made there. Congratulations on the PR and good luck in Boston.

Not at it at all. 

Great race and to go sub 3:00 is a great achievement for the general runner.I am just riding a bike and trying to get back to enjoying my workouts, and switched to Saucony Grids which is a very nice shoe. My question for you since you seem to train off of HR, what is the method you use to calculate your easy HR, tempo HR, interval HR, and do you use Karnoven or just straight up percentages. I have just started running at whatever pace for the day that seems easy yet effective because I don't like running hard, its no fun. I hope your right because this is the method I am training on right now even going to biking and swimming. But I would like to know your max HR and your zones as a double check and if you use Daniels book along with HR or McMillian also along with this theory.
                      I can hardly imagine running in the Five Fingers, never mind running barefoot. Then again, not so long ago I couldn't imagine running a little more than 26 miles. With age comes a little bit of wisdom, at least I'm learning that I should never say never. Great job on your buildup, your race and your result. I wish you continued success, your next marathon installment sounds like it will be even better.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Are you going to run Boston barefoot?
                        I would like to, but a spring marathon could be tough. I'd need to get lucky on the race day weather not being freezing rain, and more importantly I'd need to get enough barefoot runs in the months before the race. We'll see. I would definitely like to do a barefoot marathon at some point.

Dave

Amazing run, training plan, and race report. Thanks for sharing that.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

My question for you since you seem to train off of HR, what is the method you use to calculate your easy HR, tempo HR, interval HR, and do you use Karnoven or just straight up percentages. I have just started running at whatever pace for the day that seems easy yet effective because I don't like running hard, its no fun. I hope your right because this is the method I am training on right now even going to biking and swimming. But I would like to know your max HR and your zones as a double check and if you use Daniels book along with HR or McMillian also along with this theory.
                            When I was first starting to slow myself down I was pretty strict about training off heart rate. But over time I gained enough experience to be more flexible. Looking at your log, I'd say you'd get the most benefit from finding an appropriately easy zone and staying in it for several months, at least. You'll know for sure if it's easy enough because you'll feel good. Don't worry about trying to find your tempo HR, etc, for now. It will all become much easier once you've built a base. I really do think that speedwork is of limited value unless you have the easy miles to back it up. I have read Daniel's Running Formula and I think it's a good reference. His tables are a good way to estimate your paces and heart rates based off a recent race performance.
                            C-R

Great run Ed! I agree on the easy running whole heartedly. Helped me get out on the road more consistently. Impressive stuff with the Vibrams. Good luck in Boston!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Great job - didn't know you were a barefoot runner. Now I'm intrigued by those FiveFinger thingies.
                                The vibrams are great. I was toying with barefoot running a few months back and got two pairs rather than one for my birthday in a color mix up. (Thanks Mom!) One I just use out by the pool or walking the dog or whatever (Wife won't let me wear them in public with her...hehehe) and one I use (albeit not as much as I meant to) to run in. I was worried about my foot size because I have longer toes and a tripile E size foot, but they fit fine and they're awesome. Anyway, great job Ed. Nice to see someone clock that fast in vibrams. I've always been curious what people run in them. Smile How much wear did you see after that far? I've been pretty tentative to try and do too much on the asphalt and concrete for fear of wear. I'm pretty comfortable barefoot (and with the vibrams) on asphalt and concrete so no worries there, they just seem so thin. I've toyed with water shoes in the past and they worked really great but they seemed a little thick, I just had to wear nylon footie cutouts from the wife's old nylons to battle blisters after 4 miles. Anyway, do you wear them regularly to train in, and do you train in them on harder surfaces? or just to race? Just curious and thanks in advance.
                                Run like you stole something.