Broke 20 minute 5k, what next? (Read 836 times)

So I've had breaking 20 in the 5K as a goal for years, and I just accomplished it yesterday --- 19:29 (by my watch, 19:31 gun time). I'd like to run a late fall marathon and try to qualify for Boston. At my age, I need 3:20. My Jan '08 marathon was 3:42, but I think I'm in a lot better shape now, and I think I can go 3:20. One big thing for me right now is getting my head around the times that I objectively should be in shape to run --- if you had asked me before the race yesterday, I would not have guessed that I could go sub 20 (my last 5k was 21:02 on a pancake flat course in December, and there were some hills yesterday). I also would not have guessed that I'd win my age group (even though it was a small race), but I did by almost 2 minutes (yes, it was a very small race). In thinking about training to BQ in under 3:20, the idea that I need to get into shape to run 26 7:30-something miles seems impossible to me, but it needs to feel normal. So, what's the best bet for getting there --- train for summer 10K? A half marathon? Some 7:30-pace long runs? Has others gone through having to change their perspective on what were normal times for them? How did you do it?
      More miles. Lots more miles. Get a base of over 50 mpw and then work from there. At least, that's my plan for a fall BQ.
        So, what's the best bet for getting there --- train for summer 10K? A half marathon? Some 7:30-pace long runs? Has others gone through having to change their perspective on what were normal times for them? How did you do it?
        Answer C) - All of the above. Congratulations on your race. A summer 10k (or two) and a half would be good stepping stones on the way to your fall marathon. These, plus marathon paced long runs (or sections of long runs) and an increased mileage will all help build your confidence that you can sustain a 7.30 pace for a marathon. At least I hope this is the way it works...... John
        Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
        thebbk

The Voice of Reason

As you ramp up your mileage, try to maintain or even improve your form. Doing core work helps too. Often times as a person ramps up their mileage, they get tired, lose their form and get used to the bad form, then injuries appear. Keep your form in check.
            There is a BQ in 2009 thread here if you haven't checked it out already. Congratulations on your recent 5K. If you are into setting goals, a sub-19 might be in your near future as well. There is a thread for that too. Hope you have some more good races this year and good luck in achieving your BQ.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

RickyB

Train for BQ, but now you have to try to run sub 19 5k!!! Shocked
              JimR

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

There is a BQ in 2009 thread here if you haven't checked it out already. Congratulations on your recent 5K. If you are into setting goals, a sub-19 might be in your near future as well. There is a thread for that too.
                    Thanks --- I'll check these threads out. Commiting to those goals (BQ and sub-19) publically should help me stick with some of the workouts I'll need to do, especially since I don't like intervals, bu I know I need to do them. JimR - Thanks for the link. I like that approach. Much of what I read about quality runs makes my eyes glaze over. One interval run, one tempo run and as many miles as possible --- this is simple enough for me to understand.
                    JimR

JimR - Thanks for the link. I like that approach. Much of what I read about quality runs makes my eyes glaze over. One interval run, one tempo run and as many miles as possible --- this is simple enough for me to understand.
                      I did my own version of this last year, ran mornings then again at noon whenever I could (and doing it again now). Kept the quality side sweet and simple, but I run mostly alone so no group workouts. Got a 5 mile PR out of it after plateauing for 3 years. Congrats on the sub 20, I ain't there yet, just nicked it last year with a 20:08.