Garmin 310xt Unexpected Spring Release on Band (Read 3914 times)

Right before my 50 mile, the pin on my 310xt watch band jumped into the grass while taking off my jacket. After some research, I've found others are having this problem. Be careful with the stress you put on your watch band! I called Garmin, and they are sending me a replacement band/pins set free o' charge.

More people with the same issue...

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=5093

Had I known about this issue, I probably would have been a bit more careful taking off my jacket.  That probably would have kept it from happening.  I figured I'd pass along the info.

Cheers!

Cassie

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Thanks Cassie.  My whole band has fallen apart.  What number did you call?  I went out and bought a sort of replacement band that is actually working pretty well.  I love the watch but the band sucks. 

2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

BCR - I called Garmin support... 1-800-800-1020.  FYI: My watch is still under warranty.

jdais

I heard about that. A friend of mine lost his watch during a triathlon swim

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Keep us up-to-date on this cassie.  It would be good to know if the band is different or if it is just the same band but new. 

2011 Goals:
              Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
              Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
            kcam

Thanks for posting this, Cassie.

I am(was?) all set to buy a 310XT at the next decent price I saw (I've owned a couple of 305 and 205s and like them but not a fan of how easy sweat/water can cause problems) but I guess I'll wait this problem out.  Wrist strap coming off is NOT something I want to have to worry about.

Update:

So, realizing I would not get the spring pin from Garmin in time for Chi Town, I took ye ol' GPS to the jewelers.  They tried a couple of different pins and said that none of them would stay in place.  The verdict was that the plastic (on the watch) was, in fact, too worn and the main issue.  This watch is 6 months old so I'm guessing that a metal pin inside a soft plastic hole was perhaps a design flaw.  I spoke with Garmin this evening, and they are going to ship me a replacement Garmin Monday morning that I should get in 3 days.  I then ship mine to them.  Of course, all this required my credit card number.  I could have offered to ship mine first and wait for them to ship another to me in which case no credit card would have been required.

Another Update:

So my replacement came in today for the Garmin 310xt that bit the dust due to a spring pin popping out and wearing away the plastic case right before my 50 miler. I bought the Quick Release Version 2 kit for this Garmin to help remedy the design flaw.

GarminQR

Since the new quick release kit lets you add any watchband, I chose a velcro band that was orange and gray and sized to fit a smaller wrist. I am soooo happy how it turned out! Matches perfectly and fits like a dream!

Garmin QRV2

tomatolover

So glad you posted this- with old band, did you have to wear a sweatband around your wrist?  I have to and i hate it and have been wanting something more suitable for my thin wrist.  i gotta checkout the garmin site and pick this up.

tomatolover

so looked on the garmin site, but i'm not quite sure what band you got- did it come separate from the quickrelease kit? 

Didn't go with a Garmin band at all.  That is the nice thing about the quick release system.  You can use any band you choose.  Below is what I ordered and put together...

Garmin Quick Release for 310xt

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CP0MTO/ref=oss_product

A watch with smaller length velcro band that was orange and gray.. and I removed the watch that came with it and installed the Garmin Quick Release..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00093541S

It says it is a kids size watch.. but I found it to be the same size/length as the women's timex expedition.

Hope that helps!

One more thing.. there are two quick release kits available... a version 1 and a version 2.  I linked to that version 2 because that is the one I bought.  The version 1 comes with a cheesy black plastic wrist band already on it.

tomatolover

thanks for the info- think i'll be investing in this idea

dricotta

Hey ultracassie,

I just wanted to check to see how your garmin has held up with the quick release kit and watch band.  The band on my new Garmin 310XT also fell apart during a training run a week after I received it.  So, before I order the band and quick release kit I wanted to make sure yours was holding up and still in tact.

Thanks,

Donna

I have the regular platic band that comes with the 310xt (not the quick release thing). I had the pin pop out a ocuple of times, but I just used some pliers to bend the clasp together a little bit, so that the pin is held more tightly. That seems to have solved the problem.