Last Minute Tweaks (Read 829 times)

Well, CMM 09 is on Saturday. My goal is to have a HUGE PR. I have always undertrained, so it shouldn't be hard, nonetheless, I still want to be able to run and not crash at 21 like I have in the past couple of years. My half time on McMillan predicts a 3:18. I know this is always a rough estimate and whatnot. I also know that my confidence level to hit a 3:18 is not amazing. Hitting 7:33's the entire time seems way too ambitious for me. For my half, I started out at 7:00's and fell off at 10-13 to 7:30's. Thus, my goal for this marathon is for sure not to start out too fast. My ultimate goal is to break 3:27:09 (the fastest marathoner I know personally ran a 3:27:10...thus, that is my overall goal...) This puts it at 7:55's. So, the famous pacing question - should I just settle in from the beginning and hit 7:55's and run that race from the beginning and then push at 13.1 or just hold 7:55's? Just looking for someone to actually answer my question, because while I am definitely tweaking, this is my first ever marathon that I am "racing" and feel confident in my training - thus I'd love to have a 30-35 minute PR.
    JimR

well...if it's this Saturday, you can't tweak things to get better. It's all about not blowing it at this point, so make sure you don't overdo it the next couple of days (3 tomorrow, rest Friday...some like to run a couple of miles the day before, I say don't). For pacing, you've got to be comfortable off the start, not 'comfortably fast' in any way. No faster than 8 over the first mile or two, let yourself warm up to it during those couple of miles, then settle into pace, target between 7:50 and 7:55. Be careful because you'll feel like you can fly between miles 5 and 10 and you've got to resist that urge to do so. You've got plenty of miles under your belt, you should know what you can handle over that distance. But don't blow the taper.
        Frankly, I think you've started to think too much. At this point, I think one of the worst things you can do is to check your watch after the first couple of miles and think, "Oops! I've started out too fast... Better slow down!" You may have sharpened yourself and tapered enough that you may actually be able to reel 7:30 after another. Sometimes unnecessary slowing down would make you even more awkward. Listen to your body and don't think too much. Good luck.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In this case, I think Makers is using the term "tweak" to mean "freaking out". My CMM goal is a big one too...
          mikeymike

7:55's seems way too conservative to me. I agree with JimR that you want to feel really really comfortable (not comfortably fast) for the first half. You should feel like you're actively holding back quite a bit. From 13.1 to around 20 you very gradually transition from holding back to starting to focus on turnover and let the pace flow, but you're still not pushing the pace. After 20 you start to move from holding back toward pushing the effort. The last 3 miles are pure guts. To me the most dangerous part is from 13.1 to about 30k...that's where I have tended to let my guard down and think I didn't need to hold back anymore and have gotten myself into trouble by letting go the reigns too much. You really need to hold back for a lot longer than seems necessary. Having said all that, even actively holding back, I'd be surprised if you run much slower than 7:40's - 7:45's unless it's really hot.

Runners run

Confidence boost guys. Thanks. Minus Trent. Who basically just confirmed what is really happening, but I don't want to face reality.
              xor

Wear your number on the front.

mikeymike

Double knot your shoes. Especially the one with your timing chip.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Hit the pottys early and often.

Not at it at all. 

Hit the pottys early and often.
                      Like Miles 1-8? Sounds good.

Think Whirled Peas

and kick ass and take names. MTA: Doh.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

xor

and kiss ass and take names.
                          Wait a sec.

The last 3 miles are pure guts.
                            This has played through my head all day. The time has come.

Prince of Fatness

Break a leg, makers. Go get 'em.

Not at it at all. 

Have fun! I'm waiting for the race report. Big grin

Vim