Winter/Nighttime Visibility -- Gear and Tips (Read 856 times)

With the season changing here, it's getting lighter later in the morning and dark earlier in the evening.  For those who run before/after work, it means we're out when it's dark.  I'm hoping to collect some tips and recommendations for conspicuity and other anti-MilkTruck measures.

I remember reading that in the dark, active illumination is better than reflective gear is better than bright colors.  FWIW, I found a little round LED thing at Dick's for $9.  Three LEDs that can be set to flash slowly, flash quickly, or stay constant-on.  Comes in red, yellow, and maybe another color or two.  It has a clip with a grippy element, and it's stayed clipped even if upside-down on a cap or shirt hem.  Based on experience, it seems like any driver not totally absorbed in his texting sees it with more than enough time to give me some extra room.

(NFI with Dick's Sporting Goods or the LED light company)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

I have a light LED headlamp from LL Bean, about $25.  Waterproof.

I have a strob red LED on a strap that goes around my right arm facing backward (toward oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the road.

The wind vest I wear in the winter is bright orange with reflective strips.

Those red LED strobes are visible from an incredible distance in the dark.  If someone does not see you, they were drunk or texting.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

In addition to what Spaniel said, Nite Beams sells some good products for visibility

http://www.nitebeams.com/

Just don't get the hat with the lights. It's not bright enough to be useful.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If someone does not see you, they were drunk or texting.

In which case it doesn't matter that it was dark...I see those assholes during broad daylight...just saw one yesterday.  After she was passing me I realized she had her window cracked.  I should have hollered at her to startle her--she didn't see me.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Man, if you can see assholes while running, I wonder where you run.

But I do commend your eyesight.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Man, if you can see assholes while running, I wonder where you run.

But I do commend your eyesight.

Well, I think she was a contortionist with the circus.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I use a xinglet reflective belt, and a headlamp.  I can finally use my headlamp, now that the bugs have died out.  Bugs go right for the light, if they ares still around.

It's nice to just let your eyes adjust, but sometimes, you need to see the ground, or you can get really hurt.  

I love my xinglet belt, it's the best!

- Anya

Slice

I went out for a run around 9:30 a couple nights before Halloween - I wasn't wearing any night gear, just dark cold weather compression gear and a hat. A guy passed me super slow and kept circling back. At first I thought he was going to kidnap me - then I realized he probably thought I was up to Halloween shenanigans! Thanks for the tips on night stuff. I really should invest in an LED.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

keeponrunning

I went out for a run around 9:30 a couple nights before Halloween - I wasn't wearing any night gear, just dark cold weather compression gear and a hat. A guy passed me super slow and kept circling back. At first I thought he was going to kidnap me - then I realized he probably thought I was up to Halloween shenanigans! Thanks for the tips on night stuff. I really should invest in an LED.

haha a friend of mine went running in his costume- I went later and heard people talking about it.  He had one of those masks that looks like a skeleton with its mouth open...

Back on topic, I really should get some LEDs.  I currently just have reflective/bright clothing.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Thanks for the tips on night stuff. I really should invest in an LED.

If you head for Target or Walmart, they might have the halloween flashers marked down.  I ran tonight with a flashing jack-o-lantern on the back of my hat.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I have a strob red LED on a strap that goes around my right arm facing backward (toward oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the road.

Those red LED strobes are visible from an incredible distance in the dark.  If someone does not see you, they were drunk or texting.

+1.  That's the same setup I run with when it's dark. I bought them the day that two things happened on my morning run:

- a driver I thought had seen me accelerated toward me as I crossed a street.

- a very kind and concerned lady u-turned after passing me and drove back to tell me that she had not seen me until she was past me and suggested that I be careful.

At first I had my doubts about the headlamp, but now I'm a huge fan -- no more sprained ankles from trying to run over ice and uneven sidewalks in the dark.

L Train

Same exact thing here as well.

Prince of Fatness

+1 on the xinglet.  I like it better than a vest.  I also have one of those blinker light things from Road ID.  There are plenty of street lights where I run so I have no need for a lamp.

Not at it at all. 

Couple questions:

1. What's the difference between a "wind vest" and a "xinglet"?  (And no, that's not a setup for a punchline.)  I have an old black mesh vest with a couple broad reflective green stripes down the chest/back.  It's not hot, but it's noticeable when worn, and the way it creases when I run with it applies pressure to the ... nippular regions.  Not cool.

2. Headlamps -- how do you keep them in place if you're wearing a ballcap or visor?  Mine rides up, defeating the elastic straps and forcing me to catch it as it falls off my head.  Oh, and people tell me I look like Beldar, whatever that means.  (I wear the cap because it's reflective and it helps keep me warm: more hat equals less clothing.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I've got a fluorescent yellow reflective windbreaker from Nike that is pretty visible, and usually wear a headlamp.  My wife has been running more than I have lately so I've been letting her use my LL Bean headlamp, and I've been using the Petzl headlamp I'd gotten her a while ago (what a waste of money!)  I know that the Bean's are just rebranded Petzl's but the model I'd gotten wasn't really worth the bother.  I have a red flashing bike tail light that I'll wear if I'm running on the roads in dark, it has a clip I  can attach to my shorts or pants.

I just ordered a black diamond headlamp that was recently reviewed on iRunFar that has a red strobe light integrated in the battery pack at the back of the head so I'm looking forward to that showing up, especially as I'm feeling better and should start picking up the mileage soon.

For days I'm not wearing the jacket, I have various and assorted reflective vests or shirts w/reflective coatings that I also wear.

Run to Win
                                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)