Do you run faster on a TM or the road? (Read 1007 times)

I'm interested in this thread because I always read/hear that the TM is easier to maintain paces, run fast, etc. because of the controlled environment. I too would have to side with the road crew as well... this has been confirmed to me after reading this thread... I used to think that my Garmin was off! I don't know if there's any merit to this, but my theory of outdoor running was that one could go faster/longer because its not the same repetetive motions as a treadmill. One's muscles get breaks and variety as speeds and inclines change. Merit to that statement... any of you science, uber-athlete, or just plain opinionated people? Smile
    jeffdonahue

I would say you can run faster on a treadmill but maybe longer outside. You run faster on a treadmill because first off, there is a lack of wind resistance. Also, on the road you actually are pushing yourself along, on the treadmill to a certain extent all you really need to do is pick up your feet because the ground itself is moving underneath you. The downside to the treadmill is that you more than likely get hotter because you dont have the natural breeze caused by running. Also, as you said with changing ground and turning corners, uphills, downhills, you do use different muscles which I think may allow you to go longer outside. Besides which, mentally outside is easier to go longer because the scenery changes instead of jus watching a tv or your wall. And going long is a very mental process as well as physical. Just my thoughts.
        I am at least a minute per mile faster on the road. It is VERY discouraging and causes the Dreadmill runs to last even longer!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I run for Fried Chicken!

I'm much faster outside, I think it's because I get overheated really easily on the TM at the gym. Though I do like using the treadmill because it's a good way for me to keep a pace.
            I can't explain why but I tend to run faster on the road.
            I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I joke about this, but it's really true -- it's bad news when you break wind on a treadmill. Dead Way worse than outside, because instead of running away from the bio-hazard zone, you are stuck in the middle of it, enveloped by the stench. So there's a big advantage of outdoors. Even the slowest runner can outrun their own farts.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

It depends on two things: --The outdoor weather. It's almost always about 70 degrees and low-to-moderate humidity indoors where treadmills are usually located. However, the temp, wind and humidity can vary widely outdoors. All other things being equal, running outdoors on a hot, humid, windless summer day will be more difficult than indoors on a treadmill in air conditioning and easier than a treadmill on cool, crisp fall day. --The calibration of the treadmill. Treadmills can be and often are miscalibrated. I owned a treadmill that was about 30 sec/mile more difficult at zero percent incline than running outdoors under similar temp, wind and humidity conditions. I have run of treadmills at my fitness center that, at zero percent incline, were comparable to running outdoors under simialr temp, wind and humidity conditions. And I currently have a treadmill in my home that is comparable at 1% incline to running outdoors under similar temp, wind and humidity conditions. For more detailed comments concerning the relative "difficulty" of treadmill and outdoor running, see http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id110.html.

Feeling the growl again

Road by about 20-25 sec/mile over my home treadmill on zero incline....about even with work treadmill on 2% incline. While the effort level is far harder on my home treadmill for easy runs, when I crank it to 5min/mile for intervals I have to put it up to 2% or it's unrealistically easy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'm definitely faster on the road. My TM feels very tough compared to running outside. Most of it is probably mental... I just can't stand the boredom of running inside even with a TV/DVD or music playing.

50 halfs by age 50

I am at least a minute per mile faster on the road. It is VERY discouraging and causes the Dreadmill runs to last even longer!
                      I am the same. I detest the TM so the mental aspect is MUCH harder.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

KvnJns

I joke about this, but it's really true -- it's bad news when you break wind on a treadmill. Dead Way worse than outside, because instead of running away from the bio-hazard zone, you are stuck in the middle of it, enveloped by the stench. So there's a big advantage of outdoors. Even the slowest runner can outrun their own farts.
                        Shocked You obviously have not seen me run.

Kevin

Bugs

The road Think I am more scared of flying off the TM than a car hitting me. I have to force myself to out of my comfort zone on the TM.

Bugs

I run faster on the treadmill. I'll hold a 8:05 minute mile on the treadmill, but when I am on the roads I usually hold a 8:35. I think I run faster on the treadmill because I hate it, so I run faster to get the miles over with. Gwin
                            2007 Races: 5K: 25 minutes, 10 seconds 10K: 50 minutes, 31 seconds 2008 Races: Half Marathon: 1:55:45 (ZOOMA, Annapolis, MD) 10-Mile Race: 1:25:24 (Piney Point, MD) 2009 Races: Marathon: 4:44:22 (Piney Point, MD)
                              I definitely like the road better and have faster overall times with less perceived effort on the road.
                              "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                                I feel like I'm running the same pace on the TM, as outside. BUT, the TM says it I run a 13 minute mile, as my outside time is 10 mins/mile. In order to do a 10 minute mile on the TM, I have to run FLATOUT. Which is crazy. I run my normal pace, but just have to do an extra 10 or 15 minutes on the TM. Like I always say, I just don't believe my treadmill. It lies!!!!!!!!!

- Anya