Long run distraction strategy (Read 955 times)

Dave

For my last couple of long runs, I've started front loading a couple of podcasts (long ones) that seem to do great at keeping my mind occupied until I get through the first hour or 90 minutes of the run. After that, I reach up, put it on shuffle, and listen to music until the end. Seems to be working great. I was wondering what other strategies others used to make really long (2 hour +) runs easier to deal with. FWIW, my podcasts lately have been "This American Life", "The Moth" (good but short, need a few), and "Car Talk".

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

I'm a big fan of Car Talk. I usually listen to Science Friday and a few other podcasts. Since I have a shuffle, I just put almost enough podcasts for the run and it ends with some motivating music at the end, when I really need it. It also helps that my long runs are usually Saturday at 5:00 AM and I don't really wake up until I'm 5-7 miles in.
        I just find a place with good scenery, esp. for the multi-hour runs. I'm usually busy watching where I'm going and watching for big furry things along the trail, that I'm usually pretty well engaged. Or I might be thinking about how I can improve my gear or ... PS: I might add my regular runs are typically 1-2 hr. My long runs are rarely less than 3 hr and typically over 4 hr. Maybe my mind is easily occupied. Admittedly, I'll turn off the car radio sometimes and seldom have a stereo on at home.
        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          I've actually transitioned to a point where I don't use my iPod for runs of any distance anymore (exception: on the treadmill.) I had a problem where my ear pieces crapped out on me, and I was too lazy to pick up another pair right away. When I found my sanity intact after my first iPodless runn, I did a second, then... What's my point? I am so glad that this happened to me. On runs of all distances now (especially long runs), I look around, think about any number of things going on in my life, but especially I monitor my stride, footfall, etc much more effectively than when I had the music in my head. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I feel like I'm running better without the iPod. I'm now iPod free, and I find that I have more distractions than ever.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

I don't bother trying to distract myself. I've been hit by a car before, and have no desire to get hit again. That, and I enjoy the running. Did a run over 2 hours this morning, in fact.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Luckily the majority of my friends are marathoners as well so my long run distraction theory is to invite a friend to run with me and we can talk to each other when it gets rough or we can laugh, sing (my specialty toward the end of my long runs and the ultimate distraction), tell jokes, kick each other to the next mile, etc. For the past two years it's worked great for me.
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Best Present Ever

I must be some sort of freak, because I don' t need to distract myself, really. I like doing long runs with friends, but I'm also fine doing them alone. I never run with music because I want to hear the cars coming.

I must be some sort of freak, because I don' t need to distract myself, really. I like doing long runs with friends, but I'm also fine doing them alone. I never run with music because I want to hear the cars coming.
                  If by some sort of freak you are just like the majority of the respondents here... I'm still waiting for somebody that isn't happy running tuneless that has some nifty method that I've never heard of before.

Run to Win

A Saucy Wench

I think. Or not. No music. Sometimes I run with a friend, sometimes I run alone. Running is my only me time, so I guess I dont need to be distracted.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

No music - I enjoy just looking around and listening to what's going on around me. It's never boring.

Dave

I never had problem up to about 90 minutes but beyond that I sort of needed something to pass the time. Particularly since I run pretty much all of my weekend long runs alone. Guess it comes down to whatever works for you.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

...And I do.

No music. Actually, I've been finding lately that I make some mental notes of things I want to ponder and when I run then I go through my mental list and begin pondering them one by one. I really love what running has done for me mentally.
                            If by some sort of freak you are just like the majority of the respondents here... I'm still waiting for somebody that isn't happy running tuneless that has some nifty method that I've never heard of before.
                            Well I repeat prayers in French to distract myself... It's actually more of a habit than anything now, though. I went to a Catholic high school and we had to learn different prayers for grades in the language classes (I took French), and I found cross country practice to be a good time to commit them to memory.

Well I repeat prayers in French to distract myself...
                              Okay, I admit it. That's a new one for me. I'd almost given up hope.

Run to Win

Here is what I try... I try to see how long I can go without having my mind wonder... how long can I focus on what I am doing. How long can I go without having the little voice in my head yip-yapping... really how long can you go without the mental dialog resuming? But honestly I do like to hook up with friends for long runs...