Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

runethechamp

It definitely looks like we have a lot of decent mileage in this group now! Plus consistency, which we all know is king!

Shoes - I’ve expanded my quiver right now to be less vulnerable when manufacturers decide to screw up their models. Currently have a rotation of 4 different models I rotate between.

Marco - Nice week for you.

James - Really hope you can get your injury figured out.

Mark - I like your thoughts on the consistency. And smoking TT!

Watson - Strong week. I’ve never tried to do a hard workout early in the morning. Only slow recovery or easy runs so far. Today it took me 3 miles to feel normal on my morning run.

Mick, Flavio - Looks like you’re both on your way back!

Corey - Strong week, especially on only 4 runs!

Once I can get to my laptop I will post my workouts. Early in the week it looked grim in terms of reaching my 50 mile goal but I somehow managed to get there this time too. Intervals on Wednesday were tough, 17 mile long run yesterday the same. Legs felt trashed this morning but because of some travel I think I will wait until Thursday for this week’s mid-week workout. My test HM is only 2 weeks away and I really wonder how I will feel.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Rune awesome job on that longrun. 17 miles is no easy task. Ive been watching the rugby sevens on TV which is at your big baseball ground in SF.

Steve/James hope those injuries get better soon.

Flavio you beat my mileage this week 

Mark exciting times with your new home. We built here in Papamoa 19 years ago ! We did a big add on at one stage so we have 5 bedrooms, 3 toilets, and an office. Problem now is loads of things need upgrading like carpet, paint etc and need another mortgage to pay for it all.

Great job on the 5k TT. You still have some PR improvements on your current fitness for sure.

Jmac congrats on another blistering 5k.

Cfarr nice job on 4 runs !

Watson great mileage. I saw that tempo and figured you werent feeling it.

Marco nice week and good job on the intervals.

Mick/Jmac I played one game of touch rugby last year as my sons team were short. I thought I would be the man with amazing fitness but I was a total embarrassment as my sprint speed is pathetic. All the sprinting forwards and backwards totally trashed  my legs for days after. Running makes you fit in a very limited way !

Mick i took your advice and stopped buying Heineken for some local craft beer.

Ok my week was crap. i only ran about 26kms. Those runs felt lethargic and horrible so I didnt stress the rest of the week. I also had 3 surfs and one kayakfishing trip so plenty of upper body exercise to supplement the running.

Monday today and i ran up Mount Maunganui as slowly as I could which is still bloody hard as its so steep !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Cfarr, Rune and Steve - good weeks.

Piwi - good to see you back.  I saw your week and thought you might be quitting again!

Mark - good luck with the house.

My new house is about three months away now.  Weather tight, with the internal work starting next week.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

runethechamp

Mark - Yes, good luck with the new house and the moving!

Piwi - Maybe your week was bad but you did a sub-40 10k tempo the week before! Hoping for a better week this week.

This was my week.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Jul 16, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 22, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
          Mon 3.9 10:26 0:40 Evening Run 112 (58%) 75 strava
          Tue 6.3 8:39 0:54 Lunch Run 130 (68%) 97 strava
          Wed 9.3 8:53 1:22 (Long) Beach Intervals 144 (75%) 193 strava
          Fri 9.1 8:49 1:20 Evening Run + strides 130 (68%) 245 strava
          Sat 17.0 8:34 2:25 Afternoon Run 142 (74%) 516 strava
          Sun 5.1 10:08 0:51 Slow Recovery Morning Run 124 (65%) 667 strava
            50.7 8:58 7:35     1793  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Steve, Rune  Nice week!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Mark - My wife and I just bought a new home!  Congrats!  Lots of renovations for us coming because we want to flip it for profit.  Our area is seller's market for sure.  And what a ridiculous time trial you ran last week. Smile

So I raced yesterday morning.

Race Report:
                Portland Relay for Life Half Marathon.

I had a bit of a unplanned taper due to the fact that I smashed my hand working on our new house and it required stitches, we are in the process of moving, and we've had a lot of other unplanned things pop up that have sort of wrecked my training.  I had this race on the calendar for months because I was determined to race a half in prep for the Chicago Marathon.  

We get to the race about 40 minutes before the gun goes off.  It's a very small local race with a 5K as well.  I warm up for about a half mile with some strides and I feel pretty decent and not nervous at all.  It's lightly misting and a bit humid but good running weather.  I get near the front, make some small talk....and off we go.

Miles 1-4 (6:44, 7:09, 6:58, 7:04)
              Felt amazing in the first mile and I'm in the lead.  I've lead a few races before, losing a few and winning others. A girl followed me for the first 2 miles and then she disappeared. 

Miles 5-7 (7:15, 6:57, 7:18)
              Still in the lead.  This course is not "flat" like they advertised, but it is entirely on a paved bike path.  There are lots of gradual inclines and declines at mile 5 and at mile 7.  At mile 6, we hit an out and back section of the race and I see that I've got at least a 2 minute lead on the second and third place guys.  The 7th mile contained several more hills which destroyed my pace.   

Mile 8-9  (7:14, 7:01)

Feeling still pretty good but I've thrown out the idea of running sub 1:30.  The hills are wrecking my legs and I'm feeling a little tired...and a little nervous that someone might start closing on me.   Front running is sort of stressful and exciting at the same time.  

Mile 10-12 (7:22, 7:26, 7:42)
              The wheels start coming off and my legs get heavy.  Mile 12 was almost entirely a gradual incline and was I wishing it would be over.  Every half marathon I've run I've always died at mile 10.  I'm not sure why I can't get it together or why I can't break through that wall.  It's at this point that I start wondering why so many people are good at half marathons despite running less mileage than I do.  I'm so much better at the shorter races.   

Mile 13 (7:43)

I see the school/finishing line finally, no one is visible behind me.  I feel like I'm jogging, but I know I'm going to win.  I round the corner after the 13th mile and start hammering away.  The last .23 was 6:03 pace.

Final time: 1:35:08 (1st place) 
              It's a neat feeling to win a half marathon, but leading one is very nerve wracking.  You never know if you are going to really blow up and have the second place guy gradually roll up on you.  I kept looking behind me, but the trails were empty.  I'm disappointed in my time, and at this point I have no clue what it's going to take to get me under 90 minutes.  I'm thinking maybe something like 13 mile runs with the last 3 miles at tempo? 

Thanks for reading!

Brosendahl: congrats you are a winner Smile great report. I would be delighted with such a time and performance!

Piwi: Craft beer is good for you! Good choice, I hope you enjoy it!

All: lots of house buying activities going on here. I rent. I dont like owning debt Smile Owning is usually one's biggest investment and I am still trying to scramble together the required loose change! I think I will be sub90 before being a homeowner though Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Corey - that was a great week with a sandwich long run. Those are great for endurance. I know ideally you wouldn’t have the weekend weigh so much on the weekly mileage but we do what we can to accommodate changes in life.

Steven - I see you run even duration for uneven distance. At first my OCD was attacking me, but then I realized that I run uneven duration haha. That looks like a well balanced week. Have you commented on your weight routine yet?

Rune - if you have heavy legs now, a well thought out taper will make sure you arrive in top shape at the race. Watch out for taper madness though.

Piwi - lots of surf and kayakfishing to keep you entertained.

Bro - awesome job at the race with winning it all. The time does not matter when you’re fighting for positions. Eliud Kipchoge ran 2h08 on the Rio Olympics marathon, I’m sure he does not mind that one bit.

I have only won one race ever and I still remember that feeling. Unfortunately it was part of a series so there was no podium at the end.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Thanks Mick and Flavio.  Does anyone have any advice in how to improve half marathon performance?  I've averaged about 53 mpw since April, done a fair amount of threshold work and have had long runs recently of 19, 18, and 17 miles around 7:35 pace.  Lots of 10 milers thrown in as well.  I can crank out 1000m reps at a good clip but it's that marathon and tempo pace that wears me down. 

I will start my 5 mile tempos at 6:11 pace and watch them drop to 6:30, 6:40, than 6:50's then I'm exhausted.  Why can I blast 1000m reps at 5:32 to 6:00 flat pace then fail to hold on to 6:30 pace tempo?  It's absolutely infuriating.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Good week, yet again. Nice 5k TT, too. And are there plans for another kiddo?

Watson, Cfarr, Steve - Good weeks all around.

Mick - How's the ankle doing now?

Flavio - Good luck building back after that vacation.

Piwi - I caught just a bit of rugby yesterday - USA vs Scotland. Far more entertaining to watch than American football, even without knowing much in the way of rules.

Rune - Good week as well!

Bro - I liked the RR. I haven't won a HM yet (hoping to in October), that must have been great.
                      So far as improving, slow down. I'd recommend 8:30's at the fast end for easy runs and LRs. This will help with aerobic development. Based on the HM time threshold pace should be ~7:05. It looks like you're training at paces faster than your current fitness, which is short-changing your ability to run longer distances.

Me - Week one is in the books! Felt really good all week. My LR wasn't particularly well-excecuted. I finally drove into town to try getting some miles in with a group, rather than a solo LR around a lake. I started the first few miles with a buddy who is coming back off a couple ankle injuries and has also been hitting the weights a lot, so he's a good bit slower now than he used to be. All my middle miles were solo and most were a bit fast while I tried catching up to someone else to run with (turns out it was impossible since the path the group ran split into many possible directions ~ mile 3 and the group fragmented). The last 5 were with my local fast guy who cranks out 7:50's all the time. It was good to have some company, and even the faster miles felt good.

DD3 is crawling now! Sorry, couldn't help myself - proud dad shout-out.

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Jul 16, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 22, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                      Mon 11.0 7:57 Thus the assault upon my BQ time begins! 122 days left to get fast. 20x 200M R, 1E in the middle 153 (78%) strava
                      Tue 9.1 8:30 DD3's first stroller run! 146 (74%) strava
                      Wed 10.3 8:39 1 coyote, 1 armadillo, 2 hawks, and a drizzle the whole way 141 (72%) strava
                      Thu 11.3 7:42 1T, 2T, 1T. 1min jog recovery per T mile 153 (78%) strava
                      Fri 10.3 8:11 3 hawks, 1 deer (1 stride), and 1 low flying biplane 143 (73%) strava
                      Sat 15.5 8:07 Lots of Landrunners, plenty of herons (still no Camille), and a few with JHat 146 (74%) strava
                        67.5 8:11      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Keen enter DD3 in a 5k immediatelyy 😁Rugby 7s is only 10 mins long so I can just about hold my concentration for that long.

Bro congrats. What would you be able to run a 5k in right now ? If you are doing 1000s at 5.30 then I would expect a sub 1.24 half comfortable especially with your 50mpw base since april.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

Keen - nice week.

Bro - congratulations on the house.  I agree with Keen, you must slow down your tempos, if you are consistently fading then they are obviously too quick, 6:30 is far too quick for a 1:35 guy.

Also, in the race, starting with 6:44 is a bad idea, that is 1:28 pace.  You would be much better off with a 7:15 first mile.  Look to negative split.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

watsonc123

Also with a 38:21 10k PR.  I see why you're frustrated.  Consistently paced 5+ mile tempos should help you a lot.

JamesD

JamesD

Steve - Thanks.  I had the dry needling today in both hamstrings.  The PT suggested it to address my chronic left knee issues, but we hope it will help my balky right hamstring as well.  I'm a little sore now, but we'll have a better idea in a few days whether or not it helps.

Bro - For me, running alone in a race is much more draining than running with others.  That certainly won't be an issue at Chicago.  If your problem is holding pace in tempos, can you find someone to run them with occasionally?

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

James: let me know how that dry needling goes for the hamstring. I had it done once in the past and it worked wonders. Although the feeling of it was absolutely terrible.

Keen: congrats on dd3 crawling & the stroller run. I wasnt running back when we had our kiddos but sounds like good fun. Anklewise I used to skateboard a lot so a rolled ankle bothers me for a day and the next day I dont feel it anymore. Far too much damage done in the past already Wink

Rune: check out the vaporfly 4% thread. I hope you shell out the cash for them and let us know how Amasterdam goes (I am too poor and dont run marathons). honestly what people are reporting about them seems almost too good to be true. Only Enric who's to critical regarding credibility of the data set Wink

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!