Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Steve/Mark - From past history, if you run together Steve will suffer to keep up, but if you drink together Mark will suffer to keep up .

A beer a mile might make it a pretty even contest?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

A beer a mile might make it a pretty even contest?

for the first two miles

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'm pretty confident we'd both be a dribbling mess before long....would be fun though!

Drinking and running is something I've never been good at...I can run with a hangover but the times I've tried to run home on a night out when I can't get a cab, I am completely shattered within 1-2km...

At uni there was a club that ran 10km once a week with 3-4 pub stops.  I wasn't really into running then but some nice girls were so.....

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

runethechamp

Mark - Thanks regarding the photos. I don't run that fast so I'm compensating by trying to take nice photos 

Bro - Congrats with the win! As the others have said, it looks like you are starting your tempo workouts too fast. Based on the shorter distances you might be in better shape than the pace Flavio suggested, but then again, your HM time suggests an even slower pace! I've run my last tempo workouts at 6:56 pace, and worked my way up to a 2+2+2 mile workout, and I'm targeting sub-1:33 in my upcoming HM race next weekend. A 5 mile workout should ideally be slowed down maybe 10 seconds per mile compared to the pace you would keep for a workout similar to mine.

Keen - You're starting to post your typical monster weeks again! Really looking forward to seeing where your training will bring you for your fall races.

Piwi - How are you doing? I see it looks like another slow week for you. Hope you at least get some good surfing or fishing in. And pulling wisdom teeth sucks.

Mick - I looked at the VF thread and I'm really getting turned off by the marketing strategy of Nike on their shoes. Both on the VF and the new Peg Turbo they release so few shoes that it's almost impossible to get your hands on a pair for a decent price. I am however tempted to pick up a pair of Zoom Flys in an ugly color for $75.

JMac - Nice race for you! Looks like you are getting in a decent week this week despite the humidity. And I would not worry about just one failed workout, it's more of a problem if it becomes a trend.

My week has been ok so far. Traveled to Seattle early this week, got a couple of runs in there, now trying to work around some medical issues in the family so yesterday I cut off an easy mile at the beginning and end of my 3x2T workout to make it go around. I started the workout a hair slower than usual to be a bit closer to planned HM pace next weekend, and at the 3rd 2-mile interval I sped up by 3-4 seconds per mile while my HR stayed the same as on the second interval (average paces were 6:58-6:59-6:55). Based on my HR it looks promising with respect to my goal for the race next weekend. I also realized I've now completed 6 out of 18 weeks of workouts for my program and so far I've met my mileage goal every week and not missed or cut a single workout short (with the exception of trimming easy miles a couple of times, and last week's tempo workout that I completed the next day instead). I'm really hoping the consistency will show in the race results this summer and fall.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - Great job on that workout, especially the speed-up at the end.

Here's something I posted in the sub 3:20 thread, but would like some input from everyone here as well:

What are everyone's thoughts on moving a few easy miles to the beginning and/or end of workouts, or getting in an extra 2-3 (very) easy miles via doubles and cutting down miles on easy run days? Workouts themselves would remain unchanged. So about ~16 miles on workout days and ~8 miles on easy/recovery days.

Right now there's not a lot of (mileage) difference between workout and non-workout days. Doing this I'd keep the same overall MPW, but make the harder days harder and the easy days easier. Or is keeping the relatively even mileage per day more beneficial for endurance?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - I feel like that largely depends on whether your body can take the harder days. In theory the stronger days would cause bigger overcompensations. But then again undertrained >>>>>> overtrained.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

runethechamp

Keen - I move some miles a bit here and there, just depending on how it all works out. Don't think it has much effect, but I try to avoid moving too many miles away from the hard days as people seem to think that the longer segments of easy miles before the hard workouts is an integral part of JD's programs.

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - Backwards! I'm looking to move easy miles away from my easy days and on to my workout days, either through longer warm-ups/cool-downs, or the "usual" workout run + a short double. Looking at a greater separation between "easy" and "hard" days.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Keen - I think it's ok, within reason. I see real value in being at the mileage level you're at where your easy runs gets around the 10-mile level and you are out there close to 90 minutes. I think that over time gives you tremendous aerobic benefits. Do I remember correctly that you are doing one of the purchased programs from JD? Looks like the mid-week workouts are shorter than mine, and I think that's often the case with the the purchased plans compared to the 2Q plans from the book. So according to the 2Q plan, adding easy miles on the workout days should be perfectly ok.

Getting back into it

Jaime: what is it that prevents you from running? Still recovering the consequences of the Boston race?

Keen: what would be the "Botswana" qualifying time for you? With your morderous workouts - and hitting your goal at the next race - would that already be enough?

Rune: I didnt realize that Nike is only selling small amounts of shoes. Strange might be the tesla effect Smile Never heard of the other pair (the newly released one) but will look into it. Great workouts and photos btw.

Mark: moving house this weekend? Good luck!

Piwi: slowly getting back at it? Hows it going?

Flavio: why are you only running relatively short distances? Still in the build up phase or weather or injury related?

Jmac: great workouts despite dew points and heat!!!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MJ - I'm still on the way back, slowly building up, past 8 weeks were 49, 30, 16, 0, 0, 30, 32, 36. Before this last injury free period of 7 months I'd generally be hit with a new injury every 3 months on average, so I'm ultra conservative. In 2016 I lost 26 weeks to injury. Last year I improved quite a bit and only lost 9 weeks to injury. This year I'm at 3, so hoping for an even better year Smile

yall - Today is my 38th birthday so I ran ... 16km. And it felt great, to top the week at 48km 30 miles in 4h11, though might still go for a short jog tomorrow morning.

Yesterday I was again hunting marathons. But I"m certain I will not run another if I cannot run the necessary training to try to break 3 hours and I cannot get my weight down to a more competitive 80kg, though I suppose if I can do the training the weight will take care of itself.

Have a nice weekend!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Happy Birthday Flavio!!!

Weightloss and birthdaycake don't agree with one another.

Enjoy

Mark they do a beer mile at the athletics track here in Tauranga once per year. Its semi serious with alot of costumes worn. I think Kirkwood often wins in around 6 mins ? I read your strava post this morning " nothing better than a sunday dawn sunny track workout " while I was sipping coffee having a lie in 

Rune great job sticking to the plan and seeing the gains. You are 1/3 of the way there !

Keen Pfitz always had 2 days per week of 5 mile recovery which was 5.30/km pace for me as a sub 3 marathoner. I would add extra miles at the start and end of workouts. Always good to warm up well and cool down after workouts.

Flavio 38 so young still just a baby  hope you get spoiled !

So Im still sick. Turned out nothing to do with the wisdom tooth but thankyou for you wisdom tooth nightmare stories, Mark the freak with 5 

Looks like just some sort of cold bug thats been making me fever and chills all week and now a chest cough. Tried a 6 and 7km run but both felt like hard work.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

People add easy miles all sorts of ways.  I am really not sure what is best.  Nor how much should be added.

Piwi - you might have what many have had in NZ.  Which is a lung virus, it will probably also include a bacterial infection.  I know a lot of people sick for 6+ weeks.  You might need antibiotics.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Watson yeah that sounds exactly like my symptoms, fever, general muscle soreness, and now the cough. At least Im not training for anything so I will take one for the team 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "