Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

runethechamp

Piwi - Thanks! Right now I feel really good and I hope I can keep it up for another week 

Mark - Great week and amazing workout on Saturday. I've heard about people setting up their own drink station and stuff for practice, but I haven't gone that far yet. I could probably do it pretty easily as I have a nice flat straight stretch where I do a lot of my benchmark runs. 3 miles on a bike path each way with no traffic lights makes it a lot more tolerable than 23 1-mile laps 

JMac - Great HM/m-pace workout for you, happy it worked out so well. You basically did what I did a couple of weeks ago, just a lot faster! Yes, the taper and everything seems to come together nicely now! I fly over to Europe tomorrow and arrive on Wednesday  so I will probably have to wait until Thursday to eat steel though . And thanks for the reminder to not start too fast. I've already told myself to not go out any faster than a pace for 3:15, and if I feel good enough at the end I will take what I can the last 2 or 3 miles. I'm just bummed there's no 3:15 pace group, but I bet there will be a lot of people aiming for that time anyway so I don't think I'll be running alone.

Corey - Nice week again for you. That consistency should pay off well for you.

Keen - Thanks for the boost! Regarding the gels, I really like them now. I first got the SiS gels in a race day package and ended up using them one day when I needed gels but had run out of my normal stuff. It's a lot wore watery than the syrup like consistency of GU, and you can take them with no water. I actually think they recommend not taking water with them as they are supposed to be isotonic. And some of the flavors have a very healthy dose of caffeine (75mg), which is what I got. Same thing with the Maurten gels, you are supposed to take them with no water. A buddy of mine compared the consistency of the Maurten gels with frog eggs, and I can probably agree with that even though I've never eaten frog eggs . But again, much more easy to get down than GU and not very much flavor to it. I just went ahead and ordered some SiS gels from amazon (6-pack) and went to a running store that's 30 minutes away from my house to get the Maurten stuff (I got an assortment of gels and drink mixes). Of course, I don't really know how this will work under really hard efforts but I had no issues whatsoever on Saturday.

Last week was full on taper mode for me. I had planned on running a little bit more (close to 40) but this will do. Now hoping I'll keep my sanity for the upcoming days!

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Oct 08, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 14, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
    Mon 4.1 9:28 0:39 Evening Run 121 (63%) strava
    Wed 13.1 7:37 1:40 Better believe the 4% hype (ETMETME) 148 (77%) strava
    Fri 4.2 9:56 0:42 Doggie sunset run 123 (64%) strava
    Sat 10.0 7:33 1:15 I believe 150 (78%) strava
    Sun 2.7 10:11 0:27 Turkey trot 136 (71%) strava
      34.1 8:20 4:44      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - nice week and hope you're better now.  2XU is huge down here.  They were actually started by a couple of Australians and a New Zealand triathlete (former world champ I think).  I don't have any of their compression gear (although it does have a great reputation) but they've also got an outstanding range of lightweight summer gear (GHST) - the singlets are a go-to for me in any race in warm conditions.

Corey - nice week.

Rune - I can't remember if we've discussed gels before but I am a big fan of the SIS range too.  I first discovered them because I couldn't be bothered carrying water around on long runs during winter.  However they're now my go-to in races for the same reason - don't need to plan your gel intake around water stations!  They are a little bulky but I've found that pretty manageable.  I haven't tried the ones with added caffeine but normally I go for lemon/lime or orange.  I tried blackcurrant too but they tasted too watery.  Anyway all the best for race week, looking forward to seeing how your marathon goes and whatever you do DON'T LET THE TAPER MADNESS GET YOU! 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks all for the comments on easy miles - I'll worry a bit less that they're too fast!  The seemingly constant niggles make me a bit paranoid.

Had my first interval workout for a while last night and it went pretty well, without the feeling of near death I often get when I do it for the first time in a while.  I only did 4x(1,2) with 1 min recovery, as part of a 70 minute run, but the pace felt comfortable (3:45 - 3:55mins/km approx.).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3090468102

With my first ever 5km race 3 weeks away, should I be aiming at that sort of pace?  It seems like it will be tough to hold, although piwi did say he thought 19 was possible for me a few pages back.  I'm not quite so convinced...

I should also note, I do quite a lot of lurking here and asking for advice without providing too much.  I guess this is because everyone here is at a higher level than I am (JMac did 1:23 while sick!).

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - I have a couple other pairs of tights (non-compression), but the 2XUs could be my favorites after this one run. I picked up those and a pair of compression shorts (relatively) cheap over the summer (luckily no one else seemed to be my size). I'd like to wear the shorts for my marathon, but they only have the one little pocket on the back and I can't fit all the gels I'll need in it.. I'm not usually one to layer shorts over tights, but I might make an exception if I can find a pair of running shorts without a liner just for that job.
          2XU is pretty much only known for their compression garments around here. I've seen you mention the GHST singlets before - I'm quite interested and will probably see if I can get a couple for next spring/summer. Even if I have to order them from Australia. I'm a big fan of super-light running shirts.

Rune - Gels that don't have to be taken with water - that has a major appeal to me. I may flip a coin and see what I can get delivered before the weekend so I can try some on a 20-22 miler.

Steve - Just stick around and contribute where you can, and you'll pick things up. Since you did those intervals more than halfway through the run and you said they felt comfortable, here are my thoughts:

1: You're running them too easy, though I think you have the times for work and rest pretty good right now. For me (and my fellow Daniels aficionado, JMac) Intervals are done at closer to 4k pace - so maybe 10-12 sec/km faster than 5k pace. It is better to do these a bit too slow than too fast, though.

2: Based on when in the run you did them and that they were "comfortable" you could probably hold those paces. I'd start on the slower end (~3:55/km) for the first 2k then reassess from there. As a worst-case scenario in a 5k you're just looking at a couple slow ks after a blowup and a good lesson learned.

By the way, if you can pull off a 19:30 or better your HM target will be pretty soft, so long as the courses and weather are similar.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - I reckon something around 19 mins is probably do-able.  The last km will suck but the last km always sucks in a properly run 5km race.  Here's my logic:

• Your HR was really consistent across the intervals, in the 165-170bpm range pretty much for all the efforts
            • There's a slight pace fade on the last couple, but it's not huge.  The first couple of 2 min reps are around low to mid 3:40's, the last couple are mid 3:40's to ~ 3:50.
            • You were already 40 mins into your run at this point
            • So overall there was probably a slight pace/HR fade but not massive.  I don't know what your max HR is but if it's around the 190 mark then you've still got a bit to play with there.  By the end of the race you should be pretty close to max.
            • Interestingly the last 4 reps (1s and 2s) your cadence was around the 180spm mark whereas the first 4 your cadence was low-mid 170's.  So you were actually turning the legs over faster on those later reps.
            • Race day is always good for a bit of an adrenaline kick and also having other runners to keep it competitive.

I would say low-19's is absolutely possible.  Adding in a few short sprints or strides in race week might help your cadence and leg turnover a bit, but start slow and build into them if you're nervous about injury.

Don't worry too much about absorbing a lot of advice but not necessarily giving much back.  That was me in my first couple of years on this thread back on RWOL, not to mention the sub-3 hr marathon thread as well.  Everyone is here to help and I suspect I speak for everyone when I say one of the best and most enjoyable things about this thread is being to able to help others achieve their goals.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Mark - Yes, that's the downside to the SiS gels, they are a bit bulkier than the other ones. But so far I've only had good experiences with them, and I'm happy to hear you have good experiences with them as well!

Steve - Go for sub 20 for sure! It's also hard to gauge your workout since it felt comfortable (and as far as VO2Max intervals go, 1 minute rest on 1 minute hard effort is pretty generous). I did 5x800 intervals in August at 3:46 pace, and it certainly did not feel comfortable, and I'm pretty sure those shorter intervals are easier for me than for most people. And I think I should be able to go sub-20 now.

Keen - Give the gels a try. I'm so happy I did now.

Getting back into it

Steve I went with 19 ish based on your solid tempo 20.13 from memory in the middle of a 22km run. Thats a very promising workout.

Mark nice 1500 reps this morning. I cant see your laps on Strava. Did you not set them up ? I guess you just ran 1km laps as the 500 recoveries made up the km.

Rune I notice when i crank up my mileage my morning toilet habits increase and the " firmness " is not so good. Do you think that is normal ?

You are the expert 

Keen solid week. About the first time I ran the same miles as you. I thought of you when I came across a sealion on the beach the other day as you are the wildlife guy 

Cfarr thats 3 of us that hit 49 miles. Nice job.

Jmac I think Im too poor to make it to NYC. One income and 4 kids......I havent heard back from London, now Im doubting that I registered for the lottery....geez im getting old.

Did the 400s x 6 again today into a bit of a headwind but still hit about 1.20 even. Dont feel so beat up though like last time so thats good.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I think Mark passed the cold on throughout the boards. There are multiple guys over in sub 3 who have or had one. I have no idea how colds go global, but somehow we did it everyone 

Rune - I’ll say it again anyway: DON’T START OUT TOO FAST. Remember these wise words when in mile 3 you’re thinking “boy I feel great, so what that I’m 10 seconds ahead of pace, that’s nothing!” Last piece of big advice: when you’re getting to mile 24 and feel like crap, just mentally remember how JD was kicking you swiftly in the balls all summer for this one moment. He taught you how to run 2 miles on very tired legs. Go down into that well, dig deep, and give JD a swift kick in the balls right back. Also, make sure to say hi to Jesus, I know that Flavio is going to miss him now that he isn’t running his 3K.

Steve - Similar to what Mark said, it’s no big deal! I remember when I first posted I was inimidated by some of the guys on here and also felt like I was just asking a bunch of stuff. But as long as you stick around and don’t just post questions everyone once in a while, we are happy to help! I actually really like giving running advice to people. Oh, and complaining about the Kiwi Point. I don’t have a lot of advice on your 5K potential at this point, sorry. 5ks are a bit of a crapshoot honestly as the last 1K is pure hell if you haven’t done a ton of specific training. You will be saying all of your prayers and begging for mercy. I’d say go out at 19:30 pace and see how it goes. Great thing about 5Ks is you can run them frequently so if you botch it, no big deal.

Piwi - I think you’re right, Rune is the expert on these matters. I think he’s doing the Jack Daniels plan, but it’s the one where you drink too much Jack Daniels the night before and it causes you to have to use the bathroom on all of your runs.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks guys.

Yep, piwi that was one of my better tempo efforts.  The way it works out I'll do a similar run on the Saturday before the 5km which is the following Wednesday.

JMac - I'm not specifically training for the 5km  and was kind of hoping my longer distance training might help me be strong in the last km...but it sounds like I can expect to hurt a lot (unless I'm a wimp and don't go hard enough).

Mark - Thanks for that analysis.  It was my first interval session for a while so I hope to be stronger in a few weeks, and go a bit longer with more repeats.

Keen - That's a good reason to go for 19:30, to really make me believe about the half.  The half I'm now targeting has potential to be much warmer though, at 9:30am in December while the 5km is early November at 6:30pm...and it's only 5km, surely the heat won't do too much damage?

I was thinking of a couple of warm ups on race night, maybe 2-3km about 1-2 hours before the start, then some 100 metre strides in the 30 mins leading up to the start?  I looked at last years' results, the winning men's team had all 3 times sub 19, that's a rare workplace.  A rare software development company anyway.  I actually almost ended up working there, how demoralising it would be to go sub 20 and not have your time even count towards the team (only 3 count).

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Rune - just mentally remember how JD was kicking you swiftly in the balls all summer for this one moment. Go down into that well, dig deep, and give JD a swift kick in the balls right back. 

My balls are aching 

Steve for a 5k do the warmup just before the race. I like to run the course and do some strides at the end finishing about 10 mins before the start.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - For 5ks, the longer the warm up, the better. I warm up for at least 2 miles (3K) unless it’s brutally hot. If it’s cool outside, I’ll warm up even longer. Also, 1-2 hours before is probably too far in advance. If you can afford to, i.e. race logistics allow it, I would finish my warm up only 15 minutes before. Then, do a few strides, then get into the corral with 5 minutes to go.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Yeah, I know a lot about running and pooping I guess. Piwi, not sure why more running leads to softer 💩. Less blood to your intestines and worse digestion maybe? Or the running shaking your poop out really quickly (that’s my theory). I’m in a good period now and want to stay there for at least 6 more days 😬.

JMac - I’ll keep those workouts in mind at the end and try to not think about getting kicked in the nuts . No really, I think all the long workouts with fast paces at the end will help a lot. I also printed a pace band with splits for each mile plus for each 5k to make sure I stick to my plan. I know this last bit of taper can make those first miles seem way too easy so I’ll do what I can to stick to the plan.

Getting back into it

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Hi guys, I'm here across the pond.

For some reason I was forced to do immigration on the UK on my connecting flight to Dublin.

Then when I arrived in Dublin I went through Irish immigration this time.

The lad was not too fond of me and gave me a business visa of 14 days instead of the regular 90 days tourist visa.

Now I'm madly scrambling, got a flight to Hamburg in Germany on the 25th returning to Dublin on the 31st where I hope they'll let me through this time on a tourist visa (Brazilians are granted 90 days visa on arrival in general).

I didn't bring my running watch because I wanted to buy a new one, and if I have two watches on the way back customs might want to charge me import fee. So I'm running without a watch and it's, well, liberating to say the least. Unless I get lost haha.

Marco - I'm on a hectic work schedule this and the next week but I have hopes to hop over to Belfast in the beginning of November, I'll send you a private message if everything works out.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - 3 guys sub-20 at a software company??? I work for a tech company (more the hardware side) and to my knowledge there's only one other guy in the building (~1,200 people) who might could break 20. He was an 800m runner in college, though, and ran a 1:35 half off of about a month of training this past spring after having not run for almost a year.
                              As for temps, don't worry too much about it for a 5k. It will slow you down some, but not too much. My past 3x 5k PRs were with temps above 70F/21.1C (and Kiwi Points nearly that!).
                              For a 5k warm-up I typically like to do ~1.5-2k really easy, then on my way back I'll pick up the pace little by little from marathon pace to tempo, then do a few strides and get to the line ~5 minutes before the gun. Everyone is different, though, so just experiment a little and find what warm-up works for you.

Rune & Piwi - High mileage leads to low firmness? I guess I don't need to worry after all!

Flavio - Enjoy Ireland and running without a watch. Pretty smart leaving the watch - That would drive me just a bit crazy because I'd want to be able to show off my running heat map in the UK!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Keen NBA starts today, I know you arent excited . I will be cheering OKC on again.

Flavio that sounds stressfull but I know you travel alot so can handle it, Why do you have to work so far away from home ? Seems like we have a few jetsetters on this forum.

Rune I watched some of the 2017 Amsterdam Marathon on youtube last night. Looks like a great event.