Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I ended up going for a mid-morning run yesterday as my wife has a stomach bug so I had to look after our daughter in the morning.  I remember why I prefer running first thing (or failing that, in the evening!) - I think it was only 18 degrees C but I definitely noticed the higher temperature and particularly the impact of the sun being high in the sky.  Anyway might turn out to have been good practice / acclimatisation for Sunday.

The forecast for Sunday is not great, 15C overnight low (unusually warm for this time of year), and 50% chance of rain throughout the race.  The rain would be a good thing as it will negate the heat.  Luckily the wind is a light NW which is pretty much perfect - much of the early part of the race where it would be a headwind is sheltered from that direction, but it'll be a tail wind most of the way down the busway which will make for a fast 5km in the middle.  Makes the usual race strategy for this course even more important - don't go out too quick on the Devonport hills, dial up to target pace from Hauraki Corner, boost it on the busway, don't blow up on the bridge, and then just max out on the last few km through Westhaven.

Steve - for those longer runs in warm conditions, water top-ups are essential, and electrolytes help too.  Having said that if you've lived in Melbourne you're probably all over this!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Thanks for posting that chart again. It helps me feel a bit better about my recent HM time! 

I posted this in sub-3:20, but figure dropping it here would help with visibility and maybe help with getting some out-of-the-country input:

What does everyone use for running jackets? I'm specifically in the market for something wind and water resistant - not proof. I'd like something with a pretty slim/close to the body fit. So far I've been able to try a couple from Mizuno and a couple from Brooks and they all suffered from the same issue - one size fits my body but the sleeves are too short, and the next size up has the right sleeves but is too loose. Any suggestions, aside from buying both sizes and going all Dr. Frankenstein on them?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

What does everyone use for running jackets? I'm specifically in the market for something wind and water resistant - not proof. I'd like something with a pretty slim/close to the body fit. So far I've been able to try a couple from Mizuno and a couple from Brooks and they all suffered from the same issue - one size fits my body but the sleeves are too short, and the next size up has the right sleeves but is too loose. Any suggestions, aside from buying both sizes and going all Dr. Frankenstein on them?

I'm in the same market! After the Boston debacle (as stated over in 3:20, I am fighting this trend of not saying the word), I really want to upgrade my wet weather clothing. Seems like most people say water proof is actually really bad for you because it doesn't breathe, even though it seems waterpoof would be better than water resistant.

Regarding sleeves, I would always go longer. My wrist/forearms get FRIGID in rain (I think I may have Raynaud's because I need gloves at temps when most people wouldn't even think about it) so having exposed skin is a no no for me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Keen - In addition to what I wrote in the 3:20 forum, maybe it's worth checking out some bicycle jackets? They are often a bit more tight fitting.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - My long suffering girlfriend tells me off every time I get back from a run after cooking myself...I wonder if I can talk her into meeting me halfway with a bottle of powerade.  Surely she won't have anything better to do

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Keen I rarely wear a jacket. Maybe in the middle of winter in a downpour. My jacket is cheap and non breathable and gets like a sauna inside.

I think we all have our own time of day where our energy levels are best suited for a run. Im definitely a morning runner. If i dont get it done before work then im in trouble. I like the cooler temps and getting it done before work. Im programmed to wake at 5am now so its pretty easy.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Keen: do you go out when its pouring rain? You have the tm Smile I own a New Balance water resistant running jacket that doesnt fit at all but does the job. Besides I have a wind resitant vest that I wear underneath when its super windy and cold. Thats it. I have never run in conditions where I would have needed a real rain jacket since I am hardly ever out for more than an hour but you should check out the trail and ultra runners - what they wear. I am sure they are perfectly prepared.

Ps: its autumn here now and I have to start to look into that icebreaker merinos that get a lot of love...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I may be the only real night runner on here. I think Corey does some evening runs I have no problem getting out there past 8 PM. The only time I run in the morning is if I have an after work event of some sort.Otherwise, I will take my sleep over lacing up any day of the week 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks for the jacket input so far, guys. Keep it coming if you have anything else!

Rune - I have thought of the tailoring route, but my big worry about that (besides possibly turning an $80 jacket into a $160 jacket) is that technical and/or vented fabrics may be tricky to work with compared to the usual cottons and polys tailors typically see.
                    A bike jacket is a really good idea - there's a bike shop a couple blocks down from my favorite running store I could try stopping at soon. Too bad they don't honor the local running club discount like the running stores do.

Mick - I do (occasionally) go out in pouring rain. Typically that is more reserved for racing if it's also cold(ish) outside. I've certainly hit the TM a few times this cycle rather than go out in the rain, though.

JMac - Does running so early in the morning that it's still dark when I get back count as "night running"?
                    I didn't used to be a morning person - but when I first started running life just kept getting in the way if I tried running at night. Switching to mornings was rough the first couple weeks, but overall it's so much better for me now. Like Piwi, waking up at 6 am is now considered "sleeping in".
                    I do have water/wind proof covered in jackets, and unless you're running easily and/or it's super-cold those will end up cooking you and you'll end up drenched in sweat because they breathe so terribly the water vapor can't escape.
                    Are there any marathoners/HM'ers as tall as or taller than Rupp? I wonder what jacket(s) he uses...

Steve - Surely your GF wouldn't mind serving as your own personal aid station. After all, if that's what it takes to help keep you "uncooked" surely she won't mind!

I'd like to say that I'm done with my big weekday workouts after today's 5E + 2x 2T, but Monday is 3E + 2T + 3T. What a way to start off taper week!

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - Final big week of training for you. His taper does start off strong and I think that's right. My first workout if I did the taper right was 2E + 4x2T + 2E. Certainly not a traditional taper workout, but I don't think you should be cutting your workouts so big when you're still over 2.5 weeks out from the race. Makes complete sense to me. The first week of the taper should look almost exactly like every other week, except you're not doing mega long workouts. I keep all of my easy runs the same 10 mile distance and don't start cutting those until 2 weeks out.

If you find something good on jackets, let me know. I feel like I'm always cold in rain no matter what I wear, so need to find a better solution.

Me - Taper time has been fun so far. My legs don't feel perfect, which is good! But my easy pace has come down a lot, and I find I have to work to not run too fast, as I've been pretty easily going sub 7 minute miles on easy runs. I am going to consciously try to slow down even further as it's silly to run fast in easy runs during the taper since they can only slow down the recovery time. I actually found this to be a problem in my last taper (easy run pace getting too fast because the effort is getting easier). One more decent workout today, and then that's it until race day. This one will be goofy: 3E + 1T + 2M + 1T + 2M + 2E, or alternating between MP and LT for you non-Daniels folks.

Keen good job getting those workouts done. I dont really relate to the JD workouts as I have never used his plans, but I get that T is tempo and E is easy 

Jmac how do you get on running on a full tummy after dinner ? I find 8 hours sleep and thats all I need.

I took a rest day yesterday to let my calf heal and this morning was planning 12kms with 5x1000 which of course is ridiculous  and sure enough I had to abort after 3kms as my calf started hurting again and my gait was changing.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I'll definitely let you know if I find something. Hopefully I'll be able to check out another running store and hopefully a bike shop or two this weekend.
                          My run today was in a persistent mist/light rain at ~48F/8.8C (like I mentioned in Strava). I wasn't expecting the precipitation before heading out of the house, so I went back in and changed to a long sleeve UnderArmour cold gear compression shirt - I'm not sure what model exactly (if there are multiple). Usually I don't wear it unless it's at/below freezing, but it did a good job of keeping me warm while wet, and wicked well enough that I didn't feel soaked and weighed down (my shoes were a different matter altogether). Being dry(er) would have been preferable, of course. The sleeves are a good length, too, but there wasn't much wind to deal with.

Piwi - That's most of what you need to decipher Daniels workouts!
                          Bummer about the calf, but you made the correct decision. Hopefully all it needs to clear up is maybe some more time off and a little time with The Stick.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Piwi: are you going to run another sub90 long run in a few days after giving your calf 1 day of rest? Ps: you sleep for 8 hours that means you go to sleep at 9pm hahaha thats hard to believe.

Ps: I liked the Hanson Plan because it was light. But I think I will use some of JDs to keep in shape. I hope that if I do 1 quality session per week, that I wont get injured!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I don’t eat dinner until after my run, which often means dinner at 9 PM or sometimes even as late as 10:30. It works out well because my wife works late and often isn’t home until 9 PM anyway so we get to eat dinner together.

MJ - what a great roast of Piwi, I totally forgot about that. He loves saying I complain about the weather too much, but he is the king of complaining about his calf and then casually running sub 90s!

Keen - I’m just praying for no heavy rain for my race because I have no idea what I would wear. This Saturday, the Northeast is getting hit with a storm like Boston. NYC’s forecast is 41 degree high, 25 mph winds gusting to over 40, and heavy rain all day. I am so glad that this is happening now and not in 10 days, just keeping my fingers crossed another one doesn’t come through!

Mick yes Im fast asleep at 9pm. I probably live a much different life to you . We have dinner at 6pm. Years of bringing up 4 kids probably shaped sleeping habits but I have always been comfortable going to bed early and waking early.

And yes I hope this is a fake calf injury like my last one