Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Watson - good to hear from you. Do you have a plan to start running again soon?

Keen - Given you would happy with a BQ, I think you should go out at 6:55-7:00 pace and try to hold that all the way until mile 20, at which point you can evaluate whether you can pick it up. I think it's crazy to plan for a positive split by running 6:50 and trying to bank time so that you can slow down to a BQ. My foot feels a bit better, but still very painful if I'm not wearing shoes. It definitely had to be those work shoes with a hole in the sole. I'm wearing some metatarsal pads that Andres recommended and they're definitely helping. My concern at this point is how painful it'll be 20 miles into a marathon in less cushioned shoes. But I still have 6 days for it to heal up and I'm optimistic it will given I'm only running about 23 miles this week before the race.

I PROMISE THAT I'M NOT A HYPOCHONDRIAC EVERYONE 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Watson congratulations on your new home. Thats an amazing feeling. We built ours 19 years ago and now the carpet is thread bare in places 

Jmac when i had that condition it coincided with my highest mileage ever during my attempt at pfitz 18/85. It cleared when i dropped back on the mileage. Mine was caused by running too much.

Keen im glad the photo showed. I think i have another shot before this one which is better. I might try and dig it out 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Just to share my taper madness story from last year quickly, this was what I posted last year:

Well I had just about the worst last few days of a taper you could think of.

Wednesday night, after my final tune up, I was standing around and all of a sudden felt a sudden pain in my foot. I thought it might be a cramp, or just taper phantom pain nonsense. Anyway, it was really bad Wednesday night, but decided to see how it felt the next day. Went on a 5 mile run, and although it was okay, it definitely wasn’t 100% as it hurt while walking. I decided then it was probably a good idea to try to squeeze in a podiatrist visit on Friday to see if anything was up. I thought maybe it was something with the cuboid, as that’s where the pain was, and I know Mark had some quick manipulation that fixed it.

Anyway, podiatrist did x rays and said I had a stress fracture, which needless to say completely crushed my spirits. But, the more I thought about it, the more I didn’t like the diagnosis. Stress fractures generally don’t show up on an x-ray until weeks after you experience pain, so unless it just masked, it was weird. Plus, stress fractures in that area generally lead to pain on the top of your foot, which I had none of. It was just this very sensitive pain in the tendon in my foot.

Anyway, because this was serious enough, I decided to rush in a second opinion just hours later (nothing like two doctors in one day!). This doctor has a bit more experience (first one was just out of residency), although that’s not necessarily a reason to trust one over the other. Anyway, Second doctor said no chance it’s a stress fracture. He gave me a cortisone shot and said it should be good to go Sunday. We talked through why it couldn’t be a stress fracture which made me feel a lot better. I also made sure not to tell him it was a second opinion to make sure I got an unbiased view.

I tried to attach the photo of my X-Ray but having problems, will try later. Anybody - How do you attach photos?

Anyway, this was mainly for Keen so he understands what taper madness is about to approach him!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - good to see you back and congrats on getting the house sorted!

JMac - ha yes I remember last year's saga well and the foot issue that freaked me out slightly before yours (it only took my osteo 1 click to fix it).  Keen - try to be cool!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Hopefully I can dodge all that! So far I've been able to avoid issues during my tapers.

To attach an image you typically have to have it hosted somewhere. Click the icon that looks like a picture that's above the text box, put the URL of the photo in the "source" box, click "OK" and it should embed it for you.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - you’re set to run a 3:05. Your HM is 4:10/km you add 12s per km when doubling the distance that’s 4:22 and you have the mileage to back that up.

That’s between 6:55 and 7 per mile.

It's possible you improved a lot since your half in April, but I'd wait for another half marathon around 1:25 before thinking of sub 3.

Piwi - we are indeed hobby joggers.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Jmac yes I remember that whole injury thing. More reason not to go to a podiatrist 

I use this site for pasting my image into http://postimages.org/ and then I copy the link onto here.

Mark Im noticing alot of the elite marathoners running in half tights like you do.

My calf seems fully recovered today.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - I ditched the half tights over a year ago, switched to shorts before the marathon and have stuck with them.  Just a bit lighter for the most part and the pockets are useful too.  I'll still train in the half tights sometimes when the weather is sort of in-between leggings and shorts weather, but that's about it.  The shorts show off my hairy legs a bit more too haha.

Good news on the calf, guess it was nothing too serious.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks Piwi. Here's the image. I circled the part they said was a stress fracture. You'll notice two things: one, there is a horizontal line through the bone. Two, the vertical line of the bone also looks displaced. So it was both of those combined that made her say a stress fracture. Maybe it actually was a micro fracture and I ran on it anyway? Who knows at this point.

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - thanks for sharing.  It definitely doesn't look great buuuuuutt your PB says it doesn't matter haha.

If we're sharing x-rays, I'll dig out the one of my injury from 2013 (I have pictures too, but they're not for the faint of heart).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

OK. No clues on what's wrong with this picture, it's a little less subtle than JMac's 

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ohhh this game is fun! That one doesn't need a circle around it though, wow that's brutal. It's amazing the human body can even recover from a thing like that to run like you do.

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah, I've thought that same thing many times JMac, the human body is a pretty remarkable thing.  Extremely grateful for decent orthopaedic surgery and rehab too - all I have to show for it now are two distinctly different-looking knees and a minor residual strength imbalance.  And a couple of anchors in the top of my knee where they realigned the patellar tendon, although those are only noticeable to the touch.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I don't know about this game...it makes me a bit nervous.

Flavio, your marathon predictor formula is interesting.  I guess that's similar to the double then add 8 minutes formula?  Ideally I can achieve around 90 mins in my next race in 5.5 weeks then look towards the Christchurch Marathon in June.  If I got 90 mins that suggests I can get around 3:10 which I just don't feel like I can do.  I guess it all depends on the training and whether my body is designed for half or full.  I suspect I'm more designed for the half and will do at most one marathon.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - adding 8 minutes is too aggressive unless you’re running crazy high mileage. I like the formula of half times 2.15. That generally worked out for me, so that would say a 90 minute half is a 3:13 or so. But even that requires consistent 50 mile weeks. I would say this generally works:

Average below 50 miles pe week: half x 2.20

Aveage 50-70 miles per week: half x 2.15

Average 70+: half x 2.10