Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Monday was about 11 Celcius when I ran.  Which felt quite cool.  The big challenge with most of NZ is the wind and rain (east coast not so much for rain).  It can get very heavy rain where I am, which really takes it out of me, I will take a dry -5 over heavy rain at any temp.

Sounds ideal for running Watson!! The humidity has come back up here and there are northeasterlies in the forecast for the next few days so I will just have to suck it up and try not to be precious about it haha.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

running metalhead

Yeah - what sort of workplace has everyone bring salads for a pot luck lunch?

A place with a lot of lazy expats, mostly guys living alone (not me). LOL.

Not what we eat normally, mind you, we have a lot of very nice Surinaams, Tuskish and Chinese places around here. I'm partial to Surinaam stuff, spicy as hell, mix of Indonesian, Indian, Chinese and with their own teak... Lekker!!! 

Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

RoXX

Enric - Good to see I'm not the only Dutch guy in here!

Ran a pretty cold (-6C) easy run yesterday. Had a hard time getting my body warm, but that might've been because I only wore 2 layers of clothing. Right shin felt pretty sore after, didn't really feel it while running though. I guess I'll be having a few days rest now, see how it feels on saturday.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Speaking of lower legs...

Running is still progressing for me. I'm trying to get up to a consistent 5 days a week. Goal was originally to get to 40 this week in miles, which would be huge for me, but I don't think it'll happen. I've really changed how I land on my feet to work on better form (and reduce the pain caused by my foot). I'm focusing on landing more on the forefoot plus more towards the big toe. This is in contrast to my form the last few years, which was more midfoot landing and more pronation. Of course, this is more feel than anything, as I'm not actually landing on my big toe. When I think back to how I used to run in high school (around 160 steps per minute, heel landing, heavy shoes) to where I am now, I'm completely shocked at how bad my form used to be.

Anyway, this new form has been making my lower calves incredibly sore, so I'm not pushing the mileage. I'm just letting my body tell me when it's ready for more miles when I'm no longer sore from running the easy distances I'm running (approx. 6 miles). However, I couldn't be happier with the progress and that I'm running again!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Monday was about 11 Celcius when I ran.  Which felt quite cool.  The big challenge with most of NZ is the wind and rain (east coast not so much for rain).  It can get very heavy rain where I am, which really takes it out of me, I will take a dry -5 over heavy rain at any temp.

Agreed. I did a track session this morning at -12C but sunny and dry which didn't impair my workout at all. But close to 0 and heavy rain would be a top seller for a treadmill for me.

Anyways we have btched enough at the weather. No more excuses!!! Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

JMac- haha I can remember what a rough heel striker I was when I started running.  I actually think switching to lower-drop shoes with a little less cushioning was massively helpful for my running form because it encouraged me to move to a more midfoot strike and got me out of a lot of lazy habits.  Anyway great to see you regularly logging runs again and I'm sure you'll be pleased to be starting to build fitness again!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - When you are running and you are in the propulsion phase, try to see if you’re using more the glutes or the calves for propulsion. I have weak glutes and as such use the calves a lot.

Edit: I took down the joke, I thought it was a bit risqué Tongue

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah when I lived in Melbourne I ran in some crazy temps (40-45C)...but this is actually the first time I've trained for a race in summer and apart from the last week or so when it's cooled down, I've actually found it quite tough going in the Christchurch heat.  I possibly haven't chosen the best time of day to run each time, but the long weekend run can be especially grueling after about the 1 hour mark when it's 30+.  Previous summers I've just been building the base with mostly easy running then when Autumn arrives everything feels much easier.  I'm hoping that happens about now with 5 weeks until the race.

I'd still take -5C over +25C any day!!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

runethechamp

As I am from Norway originally it's always a bit embarrassing how soft I've become over the years with respect to the weather. Add in bad circulation in my hands and you will see me running with some sort of gloves if the temperature drops below 50F.

I ended up having a decent week last week, although the 20-miler on Sunday got pretty tiring towards the end. I was nervous earlier this week since my left glute/upper hammy was really sore after Sunday's run, but it all seemed to loosen up and go away after my short easy run with the dog yesterday.

This week is kind of funky with a long-ish (12 miles) easy run tonight and intervals on Sunday, but I figured there's a reason for it so I'm following the program. I also think I'm leaning towards running the full distance in 4 weeks 

Weekly Summary
                    Monday, Feb 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Feb 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
                    Tue 4.3 10:04 0:42 Evening Run 120 (63%) strava
                    Wed 2.0 10:12 0:20 Evening Run 116 (60%) strava
                    Thu 0.6 10:59 0:07 Lunch Run 113 (59%) strava
                    Thu 5.5 8:55 0:48 Treadmill cruising 161 (84%) strava
                    Sat 0.4 10:34 0:04 Morning Run 110 (57%) strava
                    Sat 3.1 8:39 0:26 Victory 5k with Luke! 141 (73%) strava
                    Sun 20.0 8:18 2:46 20 for late lunch 147 (77%) strava
                      35.9 8:49 5:16      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Hi guys Im just lurking these days.

Welcome to the new folks.

Ive only been fitness jogging in the last few weeks. Been busy at work with some stresses and not sleeping so well but overall Im still fairly fit.

Watson my son is flatting in MT. Cook in Wellington. He joined a running group to meet people so I sent him down an old pair of my running shoes so he didnt have to wear skate shoes lol.

Steve welcome Im up in Tauranga. I havent been to the south island yet.........Im sorry haha. My last marathon was Melbourne 2014.

JMAC i went the other way after lots of lower leg injuries and changed my gait to less forefoot to bring stresses away from my lower legs.

Flavio dam i like rude jokes and you can swear on here so put the fucking joke back up haha.

Rune nice on the marathon. I will be watching your Strava feed !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

runethechamp

Piwi - Looks like the tides turned in the GS-OKC rivalry in the game last weekend  I'm not even paying that much attention to basketball, especially when the Winter Olympics were on, but I somehow managed to catch parts of that game.

Btw, had a proud dad moment yesterday. My youngest son (11) did cross country last fall, but was pretty far away from being among the better kids on the team. A couple of his friends were doing it and he needed a sport to do, so he ended up going to the practices and racing as well as he could. He was excited to hear they were doing off-season conditioning during the winter and he's been pretty consistent about going to the practices twice a week, and the last month I think he's had a couple of turning points.

First, he was among only three kids his age who made it to the top of this really steep street that's not far away from the school during a practice run. There's a race going up that hill (and meandering down again) in the fall , and I think it rises about 650 feet in about 0.75 miles. The last block is the steepest and longest, and by the time he made it to that part one of the older kids had turned around at the top, come down to my son and his friends, and joined them for this last part to the top, all while encouraging them to not give up. He was just beaming when he came home to tell the story to me!

Second, he ran a 5k with me last weekend. If you look on Strava you can see it wasn't super fast or anything, but he finished strong and hung in there even though he didn't think he was going to make it at the end without stopping (he even mention he thought he would barf with about half a mile left).

Third, they ran a relay at practice yesterday, and he felt really good about it as he was able to pass another kid towards the end of his 200m leg. He then decided to do track at school in the spring, and when I mentioned it was very cool that he wanted to do it, and that there would be lots of other events he could try out, he just said: That's ok papa, I just like running!

Getting back into it

Rune thats great running by your son. What I found helped is offer him money for placing well  probably bad parenting but I trained with my boy when he was 12 ( actually what got me started ) and just a couple of months was enough for him to win his school xcountry and the $250 I offered ! OKC were thrashed by GSW and Ive just watched them sneak past Dallas by one point in overtime. I heard that Norway are underachievers at the winter Olympics ? We finally won our 2nd and 3rd winter Olympic medals ever. Not really cold enough here.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Gave my first go at a Daniels' H-pace workout.  The H-pace is supposed to be roughly equivalent to your current 5k pace.  On the TM, I went at 9.5mph (or about 3:55/km, which is slightly faster than 3:56/km, my 5k pace from 2 races last summer).  I was aiming for 7x3min intervals (with 2 min jog recoveries) to meet his lesser of 8% of total weekly mileage and 10km (8% equals 3.2 miles).  In the 5th interval my form was starting to detioriate.  2 minutes in, I decided to call it.  I could've muscled it out but from what I read I should be able to do the workout with proper form, maybe not comfortably but not with form breakdown risking injury.  I completed the 7 intervals, doing the last two at sub90 HM pace (4:15/km) without issue.  For my H workout next week, I think I will slow down the pace, maybe to 4:05ish/k (5x1km next week).

I also signed up for a 10k race on the 24th of March.  A portion of the course is shared with the HM course I will be running in May so it will serve a couple purposes.  I should be able to lay down a PR, regardless of conditions, since I've only run one 10k and it's a soft time (I actually have gone faster twice in longer races).

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
                            2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - I second Piwi's comments on jokes

Piwi - Fitness jogging is better than no jogging. sometimes that's nice not to be a slave to a schedule.

Rune - I would think the drive to run faster than his dad will keep him going!

Blair - I usually convert my H workouts into I workouts,but it's sort of the same thing. Anyway, 7x3 minutes is VERY challenging for that workout, so I wouldn't worry too much if you couldn't complete it. They are very painful, but you should be able to finish them without feeling like you will injure yourself by pushing so hard, so I think you might the right decision to shut it down.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Piwi - Yeah, I guess Norway did ok in the olympics . We didn't mdeal in the men's "marathon" cross country distance though (50km classic style), which always has been a very coveted medal. Also, I might think about bribing my son to see if it ups his motivation to train more, but it might be smart to just leave him alone as long as he's having fun.

Blair - Those workouts are exactly what Daniels calls them, hard. And you would be surprised how much of a difference 5 seconds per mile can make. And if you watch his videos you will see how he stresses the importance of not running too fast on the earlier intervals since you then will probably not be able to complete the workout at the right intensity. It looks like you had the right pace, but if you are not used to this type of workout I would probably start with only 5 x 3 minutes and increase up to 7 later on. It was probably smart of you to dial it down when you did.

JMac - I think once he gets a bit faster and closer to beating me at the shorter distances his motivation to do just that will go through the roof. Hoping track in the spring will do him well.

I managed to get in my 12 easy miles yesterday before the worst rain arrived, although it felt pretty lonely out there. My hammy still felt a bit tight but I'm not particularly sore today so I'm not too worried.

Getting back into it