Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Hey guys, 66km in 5h51 + 2 hours of functional training. I've got to sign up for a race, it's been a while Smile

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

jaimegu

1:28:58. Enough for 39th Overall and 5th age group... All who preceded me in AG were 40 or 41.

Acceptable result, but not what I wanted.  I think  can go 1:26 with my current shape... Wind played a part in this  but mostly it's a mindset to learn to suffer a bit more... 152 avg HR is pretty low.

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - nice week.

Flavio - nice week and yes you should absolutely sign up for a race.

Jaime - nice job on the sub-1:30 and good AG effort too. Not much you can do about the weather though.  Maybe it's a little bit about suffering more but sometimes there's a fine line between pushing it and totally blowing up!  Based on some of your tempo efforts, I would say 1:26 is totally do-able on the right day.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Bit of news for the Kiwis... Jake Robertson came 3rd in the Lake Biwa Marathon in Japan in 2:08:26... beat the NZ record by 34 seconds.  Pretty impressive considering Rod Dixon held that record for 34 years - set when he won NYC in 1983.  He has had a pretty tough time with injuries and this was his debut marathon.

Having said that if you look at the Lake Biwa course map it's practically dead flat, so I think Dixon's race was still technically the better one given the NYC course is pretty challenging!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Flavio - Risque is good Wink Now my mind is whilrling at the possibilities of this joke! Good week too. Happy to hear you are thinking about racing.

JMac and Rune - Thanks for the input. I have adjusted my H workouts accordingly for the coming weeks to reflect the difficulty (less intervals in each one, same pace).

Mark - I've got 4x1k (lowered from 5 after this week) hard scheduled for Wednesday's workout. I stick to Daniels' "3 minute" rests. I am scared if I assigned a distance I might just come to a crawl to elongate that rest period Big grin Anyway, I really enjoy speed interval work on the track (it appears from Strava that's where you do yours). I can't wait for the weather to get better so our track will open again later in the spring... treadmill speed drills are dreadfully dull/exceedingly hard at times. Good week, btw.

Mick - funny you mention that "tall" Dutch study. I watched a Dutch fighter on last night's UFC card (Stefan "The Skyscraper" Struve). Man if that guy only learned how to much use of his length/reach... Also, I second JMac's thoughts on the R-workouts. They aren't incredibly difficult... and I do believe the idea of 200jg after 400R was because it is preceding another 200R coming up.

James, Watson- Good weeks!

Jaime - Just saw the result on Strava before I came here. Great result! Out of curiosity, do you have a wrist HRM? I ask because I wear a chest strap and I can't see myself wearing it during a goal race

My week - An up and down week... running-wise and life-wise. I work in the area of business related tax accounting so I've been putting in overtime... busiest time of year. It is over but I am spent (that plus evening courses plus running...it's been tough - mentally fatiguing more than anything). It finally came to blows with respect to my running today. I was 2 laps into my 18k long run and I was feeling like crap, had to use the washroom (had already stopped after 1 lap) so I just said f#@& it! And stopped. It happens sometimes - but week was otherwise good. Still almost hit 40 miles. Tempo intervals were tough running with 45km/h winds with 67km/h gusts. Putting in what felt like 4:15/km effort and not being able to get below 5:00/km was so defeating. I think I'll stick the treadmill for workouts for at least another month or so.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
            Tue 6.0 9:20 8K E + 6ST 144 (75%) strava
            Wed 7.5 8:44 TM - 7x3min H fail (H too H!) actual 4x3min H, 2min H, 2x3min HM goal pace 0 (0%) strava
            Thu 5.0 9:24 Evening Run 145 (76%) strava
            Fri 1.3 10:58 Rez attempt - Too muddy in spots, too icy in others 130 (68%) strava
            Fri 7.1 8:22 4x1mi T (was going to be 5 but that damn wind! It broke me) 161 (84%) strava
            Sat 5.0 9:28 Afternoon Run 141 (73%) strava
            Sun 7.6 8:49 Afternoon Run 0 (0%) strava
              39.5 9:02      

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
            2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

JMac11

RIP Milkman

A bit of sad news today with the passing of Roger Bannister. RIP.

Flavio - I've already annoyed Piwi enough, so now I'll start bothering you - sign up for that race!

Jaime - Good effort. Mental part of this is so big, it's so hard to judge though whether you really suffered enough in a race or not.

Blair - You'll need all 3 minutes on those I workouts. It seems like too much, but those things can really kick your butt, especially at the 1K distance. I did a few 6x1K after 6E for my marathon training, and they were brutal. I agree on the time though for the same reasons.

Watson - good work, glad to see you getting out there more consistently

Me - following in the trend of most miles this year, I reached mine at 37 this week, which is actually my highest amount since the last week of October. I'm really thrilled with that given my injury. I'm going to keep around this level for the next couple of weeks as I really ramped up and don't want to keep pushing. I'll probably add a long run this week in order to keep progressing, but will drop down some other mileage so that I don't go above 40. I'm also planning on signing up for a 10K in a month, starting to get that itch to at least see where my fitness is at. I know that it won't be anywhere near where it needs to be, but just getting out there and racing will make me happy.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I had an up and down week, started off well but a tough finish:

Monday 60 mins incl. 3x(2,2,4) intervals.  Went really well, around 3:50min/km pace

Wednesday 60 mins incl. 3x10 mins tempo pace with 1 min rest each.  Averaged around 4:10min/km and felt good.

Saturday 90 mins easy.  I intended 3-4km of race pace in this run but it was so hot I really started to fade.  Nothing like running to smack down the confidence just as it's starting to build!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Jaime congrats 1.28 is really fast. Wind sucks !

Mark nice mileage build. Yeah I heard about Jake Robertson. He has a 60 min flat half so what do you think hes capable of ? Those guys dont follow our mortals double and add 10 min rule do they ? Otherwise Kipchoge would have a 56 min half !

Watson nice build up. Cool that you are racing soon.

Steve I dont know if you are a morning or afternoon runner but in summer it needs to be before 7am for me. That said Im running at 4pm today while I wait for my son to finish his boxing class, but my run isnt a workout just whatever.

Jmac was great to see you log some longer/faster runs on strava. Think of your injury as preserving the running beast within you ready to be unleashed lol. That sub 4 by Bannister will be remembered forever. Now they are cranking them out !

Blair 39.5 miles is still really good within a hectic work week. Its end of financial year at the end of this month for me so I take my business accounts in and my accountant has only charged me $500/year for the last 23 years ! Hows that for value. I do most of it myself and he does a summary.

Flavio thats still a decent week.

My last week all very chilled running with no attention to pace but mostly progression runs starting at 5.30/km-4 min/km
                  I could increase as the weather cools/deteriorates.

Weekly Summary
                  Monday, Feb 26, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 04, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description Link
                  Mon 6.2 8:05 Afternoon Run strava
                  Wed 6.2 7:45 Afternoon Run strava
                  Fri 5.0 8:28 Morning Run strava
                  Sun 5.0 8:06 Morning Run strava
                    22.4 8:05    

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

jaimegu

Hi, guys,

Thanks for your kind words.

A quick chime in to provide RR...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lCMlNzpfoZGUo5DPFq5Hultzij7i-6UtrxYlKuxcZf0/edit?usp=sharing

Not a good write up, but rather something useful.

I'll come back with weeklies and comments tomorrow.

Blair:  I currently use the vivosmart HR as optical HRM... I used to run with a chest strap.  It doesn't bother me.  Both have pros and cons, but I'm OK with the precision this optical device provides.

watsonc123

JMac, Blair, Steve, Flavio - good weeks.

Steve - your paces sound close to sub 90 half.

JMac - you are being wise with the slow build up.

Mark and Piwi - Dixon's PR is more impressive due to the harder course and being an amatuer.  The 60's to 80's were the hardest time to be an elite marathoner as they were doing big volume and having fill time jobs.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

runethechamp

CK - Good luck training with your daughter!

Mick - 10 miles or more at MP basically turns into what would be called a long tempo run where the pace is adjusted to get to the right effort. And I think that was the third "tempo" workout of the week in the program.

James - Good to hear your knee is getting better. Make sure to keep what's supposed to be easy just that. No reason to speed them up to moderate effort unless there is a goal for it.

Mark - Nice week! Sound tough with that humidity though.

Watson - Nice increase in mileage. Solid tempo run as well!

Flavio - Nice mileage! Just watch out for those injuries 

Jaime - Nice work on the half!

Blair - I've had several of those runs with my unpredictable stomach. Sucks when it happens (including my run yesterday).

JMac - Nice to see you're improving.

Piwi - Hope the work truck outfitting didn't wear you down too much 

My week was kind of crappy with the workouts being ok but the easy days nonexistent or crappy. Stopped way short yesterday when I had a near disaster out running with the dog, but got to a bathroom just in time (where's that smiling poop emoji when you need it?). Not much of a marathon training week but whatever. 11 miles m-pace on Wednesday will hopefully give me a lot of answers for my race.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
                        Tue 3.0 10:15 0:30 Afternoon Run 120 (63%) strava
                        Wed 12.3 8:40 1:46 12 before the rain 136 (71%) strava
                        Sat 1.8 10:31 0:18 Afternoon Run 114 (59%) strava
                        Sun 12.1 8:33 1:43 8x2 min intervals + plenty cooldown 142 (74%) strava
                          29.2 8:52 4:19      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

James - Good that your knees are getting better.

Mark, Watson, Flavio - Good weeks.

Jaime - Nice effort.

Blair - Sounds like you have a ton going on. Hopefully things settle down soon.
                          For what it's worth, I do have optical HR on my watch but still wear a chest strap for most workouts and races.

JMac - Good job working the mileage up little by little.

Piwi - Chill weeks are good.

Rune - Thanks! Good luck on that Wednesday workout.

The 15k went really well! 1:00:35 chip time, 4th overall. I went out at 1:01:40 pace (based on then-current VDOT) and just wanted to push things as I was able to. I never once looked at HR, which was unusual for me, and I wish I had. My HR was a good bit lower than it should have been and I could have pushed more since I had quite a bit left in the tank - I felt like I could have kept the pace for another couple miles at least. Despite ending up knowing I could have run faster, I'm still pretty thrilled with the result and had a solid reason to update my training paces.

The new course (due to construction on the dam around the lake) was really nice. Instead of being dead flat it had a few sections with slight elevation change and was overall a much prettier route. Definitely hope they keep this for next year.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                          Mon 10.5 7:32 Daniels' I, 4x 3 min, 2 min reco, 4x 2 min, 1 min reco. Not particularly feeling it. 147 (75%) strava
                          Tue 9.8 8:03 1 rabbit, 2 geese, and out running a skunk. 141 (72%) strava
                          Wed 9.8 8:12 One rabbit, one crane, and a little rain. No, I didn't plan on rhyming today. 145 (74%) strava
                          Thu 7.3 8:02 4 deer in the country, 5 quail in my front yard. 145 (74%) strava
                          Fri 6.3 7:52 If the wind would be this calm for the Beacon Run tomorrow we'd all be sitting pretty. 142 (72%) strava
                          Sat 2.1 7:51 Warm-up 135 (69%) strava
                          Sat 9.3 6:32 Panera Beacon 15k. 4th OA. 167 (85%) strava
                          Sat 5.2 8:59 Extended cool-down, and rounding to 60. 140 (71%) strava
                            60.3 7:47

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

watsonc123

Rune - that's a really nice 15km race.  Your pacing looked good, starting a little slow is fine.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - Great race. It's much better to finish that way than sucking wind at the end.

Mark - Add me to the board for races. Aspire 10K on April 7. I have absolutely zero sense of where my fitness is. I think breaking 40 would be a good goal, so let's set it at that.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Blair: Struve is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu beast. This is where I totally agree with our other Brazilian friend here: don't ever get involved into a street fight but use your legs to run as far and fast as you can. That has actually secured the homo sapiens advancement to hunt down prey and still comes in handy today!!! Struve has this empty look - great to look at in a cage but absolutely psycho.

Jaimegu: great report really enjoyed the read. Congrats.

Rune: yes this is where I mostly get confused. Daniels calls the tempos something that happens at your Lactate Threshold pace which for me is hard effort vs the somewhat manageable MP. But yes if you run 10 miles at that pace its still a hard workout. I just don't consider JDs plans really hard (the book version at least). The hm one I am following is manageable and I only got injured because I included a tempo workout every weekend with my ironman buddy on sundays. Big mistake that I am still paying for albeit much less now than 4 months ago (patella tendonosis).

Keen: great pace!

All Europeans: just learnt that we peak in our paces at age 27. I went to school in Germany and I think it sucks that we don't have track and x country as much as in high school nor college students in the US. I could be reminiscing instead of running....Smile

Weather: thanks for shifting from -12C to +10C. I love spring.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!