Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Watson Event Promotions in Rotorua runs the Rotorua marathon. They also do the Tauranga City to surf 12km....11.3km

Flavio good memory i did have a couple pairs stolen. I was driving round skateparks looking for anyone wearing black and white Nike Pegs haha.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Yep dead right Watson it was silly of me to forget Rotorua (considering it's arguably the most famous marathon in the country!).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Tauranga looked way out on Strava.  Given that Rotorua is used for Olympic and Commonwealth games selection, it is probably legit distance.  I think New Plymouth is (or at least was) certified.

I suspect my race this weekend will be short of a half.  It actually advertizes as 21km, so it might legitimately be 21.0km.

Mark - put me down for 1:28:59

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Rotorua used to be certified but I cant find confirmation on their website now. The full follows the same course as always round the lake so should be the same. With events been run as a business now rather than by runners theres less concern on accuracy of courses.

Oh and Flavio did 5x 1000m at 3.50/km so no Gaga dressup this time i doubt 😁

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Oh and Flavio did 5x 1000m at 3.50/km so no Gaga dressup this time i doubt 😁

We can hope for a massive headwind, right? 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Good luck for the 2 races this weekend, smash it!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Rotorua used to be certified but I cant find confirmation on their website now. The full follows the same course as always round the lake so should be the same. With events been run as a business now rather than by runners theres less concern on accuracy of courses.

That was what surprised me about Coatesville. It's been run for 5 years (by Running Events) and they got the course certified last year.  It's cool and all (considering how many HMs seem to be 100-200m short!) but I didn't see any particular reason for them to do it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

We can hope for a massive headwind, right? 

Some of those Gaga costumes are pretty raunchy. I dont think Im ready to see Flavio in a G string 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - I weight 84kg 186lbs wind isn't too bad LOL

me - I ran a workout today and I lived to tell the tale. I think first workout in 20 months or something like that.

5 x 1000 with 400 m rests.

Splits were 3:48, 3:48, 3:57, 3:44 and 3:50. I'll leave the imperial guys in suspense 

I hit a max of 90% of HRR during the workout, suggesting that I might have some extra in the tank. Running solo is hard!

The first 3 reps were alright, last 2 were hard. The rests were a little over 2 minutes each, and over that time my heart beat would come back down to 75% HRR.

10 days to go, it will depend a lot on what kind of weather we get on race day.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - Great workout. 1K repeats are always very difficult and those are some impressive splits. Assuming you went into that workout not fully rested, you've got sub 20 in the bag and even a shot at sub 19.

Mark - Flavio's performance is inspiring me that my sub 40 goal is too soft. Move it down another minute to sub 39 for my 10K in a few weeks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

RoXX

flavio - Nice workout, I love 1000s. It's been a while since I've done them. How often do you guys do interval workouts like these? And what intervals are best for 10/21K races? I love to do 1000/1600 intervals, but sometimes I also do 400 or 800 intervals, are they actually useful to do when training for a half marathon?

watson - Why am I not training more? Good question... I've only been running for just over 2 years with ups and downs. Last summer I started to compete in badminton again, so that takes 2 days/week. That leaves only 2 or 3 days a week running. Up until mid november I managed 100 km/month. From november till now I've had some shin issues, hence the low volume. I'm currently thinking about putting badminton aside and focus completely on running for a few years. I'm 31 at the moment, so I guess there's still quite some years ahead of me to make great progress.

JMac - What I think of the distance? I think it was about 5K too far. I was really struggling to maintain pace over the last 3 miles. I guess it should start to feel better when I start to put in more volume.

So... few hours after my half marathon last sunday I told myself I would not run another one for at least a few months. Few days later I subscribed myself for my second half marathon, which will be in 2,5 weeks (April 2nd). Will probably not run it at max effort this time. Start out a bit slower (1:45 pace) and see where it goes, might negative split it if I feel ok halfway through.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

So... few hours after my half marathon last sunday I told myself I would not run another one for at least a few months. Few days later I subscribed myself for my second half marathon, which will be in 2,5 weeks (April 2nd). Will probably not run it at max effort this time. Start out a bit slower (1:45 pace) and see where it goes, might negative split it if I feel ok halfway through.

I think pretty much everybody on this board has a story similar to that at some distance. Told myself I'd only run one marathon, and within about 1 hour of finishing my first one, I was already talking about the next (even though the last 7 miles made me want to cry). Regarding the distance, I think the last quarter of every race is where things turn awful. You'll feel much better with more training. I remember during my first half, I actually almost collapsed at the end and was so dizzy and wobbly that the medical staff was making sure I was okay. This was with some walking breaks in the last few miles as well. Although the race gets easier from that perspective, the last 3 miles are never fun. I know that I've run a good half when I get to mile 7 or 8 and I start thinking "I don't think I can hold this pace up for more than a few more miles" but find a way to just barely get it done.

Regarding your question on interval distance, I think 1K is perfect for the half. It's actually a pretty good staple interval distance for most races, from 5K up to the Half (and even thrown in here and there in full training to maintain some speed). I'll do anything from 800 to 1200 training for Halfs until a few weeks before the race. I tend to build up though to that distance, e.g. run 200-400 meter repeats at faster paces during early phases of training just to build the top end speed, and then move on to slightly slower 800-122 meter repeats as I get closer to the race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Roxx - Decisions made within 24 hours of a race are not binding! No matter the race distance there are always people who say "Never again!!", then sign up for another one (or more) within days.
                              I'm following a Daniels' plan for my HM and have been doing 200's & 400's at a good clip faster than 5k pace almost weekly. Longer stuff (usually 3 minutes) I've been doing on roads at slightly faster than 5k pace. I'm just getting into the threshold stuff, which is multiple miles (usually 3) at a bit faster than HM pace.

JMac - I agree with your assessment of the latter miles in a race. My last HM (that I actually got to race, not jog) I hit mile 10 or so and the thoughts "Oh, I've made a terrible mistake" & "This isn't going to end well" certainly passed through my mind. Thankfully I found something else to focus on (not that I can remember what it was) and was able to push through.

Cutback week is driving me a little crazy. Mileage being slightly shorter isn't too bad by itself, but my HR has been really low on my last few runs so it feels like I haven't been doing anything on them, regardless of pace.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Hi guys, time to check in again I see.

Roxx - Nice race!

Lady Flavio - Nice workout!

I also think the end of any race, maybe save the real sprint events like a 100 or 200, will hurt at the end. It just slightly different types, intensity, and duration of the pain 

After last week's crappy workout I was left with no more m-pace workouts on my calendar and no idea what pace would be sustainable for my race. Any extrapolation from other workouts and races would tell me 3:25 is a realistic goal, but this workout said no way. I therefore decided to change my 2x2 miles T-pace workout yesterday to 6 miles at m-pace, for a somewhat similar workout effect and to see if I just had a really bad day last week. And boy did I have a different feeling yesterday. The pace felt laughably easy, even with a slightly faster pace than planned, link to Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1453794001

With near identical warmup for the first 2 miles the HR data for the first 6 miles at m-pace were as follows in the two weeks and my race, with last weeks HR first, HR for my workout yesterday next, and HR for my race 2 years ago last. Average pace per Strava was 7:44 last week and 7:40 this week. In my race 2 years ago those first 6 miles were run at a pace to finish in 3:40 (I kept that pace pretty much through mile 16), and I ended up at 3:46:59 at the end.

1: 148/143/142

2: 156/150/154

3: 157/151/155

4: 159/152/159

5: 161/153/159

6: 160/152/161

So whatever was going on last week, my body and legs were not happy, but if I feel as good on race day as I did yesterday, 3:25 seems like a very reasonable goal. If anybody has any thoughts, let me know. I know this does not tell me much about how my body will react late in the race but I'll leave that to race day 

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it