Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Looking at the course for the end of the race in 2 weeks, what on earth are they thinking putting in 4-5 sharp turns in the last 100 metres???

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/431560

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Flavio thats a stunning time on the mileage you have been running, almost stunning enough to motivate me out of retirement. Nice race report and yes we totally over stress our races, our partners think we are crazy.

Rune awesome job 5 min/km for a marathon on your mileage is amazing.

Steve nice mix of cross training and running. Dont stress the 6km effort at HMP as it often feels terrible nearing a race. A low week race week should take care of that. Not sure why they have put in that silly little end bit but at least the rest of that course is nearly dead flat. I usually run along there when Im in Auckland.

Mick I wouldnt mind my wife wearing that Gaga outfit at the top of previous page......

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Piwi - 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

runethechamp

Hi guys, thanks for the tracking! I’ll come back with more but here’s a quick summary:

Highlights: 15 minute PR, felt great for pretty much 23 miles, flat course, great running weather, free beer afterwards.

Lowlights: Bathroom break after 12 miles (#2, 1:15, maybe it should be a highlight with that time ), the last 3 miles, very long course (measured to 26.8 on my watch, up to 26.9 on others).

Next up: Amsterdam in 30 weeks with more miles so I can last for the full distance and maybe a Lady Gaga somewhere in there.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Looking at the course for the end of the race in 2 weeks, what on earth are they thinking putting in 4-5 sharp turns in the last 100 metres???

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/431560

Looks like the classic 'oh crap we need to make up a bit of distance somewhere'!  Although the easier way to accomplish that would've been just to move one of the turnarounds out a bit.  There was something similar at Devonport HM before they (thankfully) changed the course - 2 u-turns in the last 200m.

To be honest it looks like right, right, u-turn, which is not too bad. Basically the same as the end of the Coatesville course.  Will be a real test if you are neck and neck with someone though!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah I think so.  More of a worry for me will be losing a valuable 1-2 seconds if I'm neck and neck with the clock, but I imagine if the front runners are level at that point it could have an impact on the winner.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Steve: I guess the upside is that, up till that point it's basically straight running apart from the 3 u-turns.  Remember, these are the same event operators that came up with this humdinger, so maybe they thought they had to sneak something in there: http://orewahalfmarathon.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/orewa-course-21km.pdf

Rune: I did see one of those km splits and figured it was a bathroom break albeit a highly efficient one!  That is a massive PR so you should be really please and bodes well for Amsterdam with some more training under the belt too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Wow, so many turns...I do like to break up long straight runs but they really are great for not losing any valuable seconds.  The course for the Waterfront does look really good apart from that bit at the end.

2024 Races:

Mick I wouldnt mind my wife wearing that Gaga outfit at the top of previous page......

Piwi that's actually quite easy. I call it the inverse gaga competition. So basically regarding you two its all about aerobic endurance and less about pace. You gotta be above 20 minutes not below. That's the whole trick. Hope this helps Wink

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Whoo! Fast moving thread.

Piwi - Good job upping the mileage and succeeding in the Lady Gaga Challenge. And you have some serious photoshop skills! I have no idea what you do for a living, but whatever it is you've obviously missed your true calling.

Mark - Nice week. It's a little disgusting that your tempo pace is faster than my 5k pace. Maybe I'll get there one of these days!

Flavio - Thanks for the RR, those are always good to read.

Steve - Good week. And that is a crazy way to end a race.

Rune - Congrats on the big PR. RR incoming?

My biggest week of the year so far. Spring is definitely here, with temps at 60F+ (15C+) early in the mornings. At the very least it's starting to build a touch of acclimation, but worries me a bit for my (first) 10k in a couple weeks since it's at 2pm. I really enjoyed my little run with DD1 yesterday - I'm hoping she'll get back out there with me a few days a week. Hopefully we'll run a mile or even a 5k by the end of summer.

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                      Mon 12.3 7:12 Daniels' T, 2x 3 mi + Strydes 154 (79%) strava
                      Tue 10.3 7:52 1 hawk and a dozen head of cattle out of their pasture 144 (73%) strava
                      Wed 10.1 8:02 7 hawks, 2 meadowlarks, and 1 crop duster. 144 (73%) strava
                      Thu 11.1 7:37 Daniels' R, 8x 400m, 6x 200m 148 (76%) strava
                      Fri 10.1 8:07 7 deer (no strides), 1 owl, 3 coyotes, and 1 very excited mockingbird. 142 (72%) strava
                      Sat 14.2 7:50 Nothing except cows (boring) & headwinds (bleh) 153 (78%) strava
                      Sun 1.5 13:11 Hitting the dirt roads with DD1. 96 (49%) strava
                        69.6 7:52

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Keen wow great week. That really makes me look like a slacker ! I might have to do a nature report with mine. I install security systems. Im a one man band and have been doing it since I was 16. Started my own business when I was 25. The photo editing tested me but it came out well. The boys did one of me pushing a supermarket trolley in a race once. I will try and dig it up. Did you go and see Lorde at OKC the other night  shes a Kiwi too.

Steve that course looks really good. I would worry more about wind than those last couple of turns but if theres a headwind then there should be a tailwind.

Mick ah gotcha over 20 mins sounds much better !

Rune how are the legs ?

Mark Im with Keen but if I ever run a 10k at your tempo pace I can die a happy man !

Went over on my right ankle on my run yesterday, this is becoming a habit ! Not badly though and it hasnt seized up. Car was parked over the footpath so I went onto the grass and must have hit a hole.

Ah found it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Thanks! My brother is in the same line of work you are. He got in to it quite a while ago when he went to sell systems in Canada with a guy he met online playing Halo. Not joking. His buddy ended up moving to the States several years ago and he and my brother co-own their own company now.
                          I actually had no idea she was playing in town - I'm WAY out of the loop when it comes to anything related to pop-culture.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Hmm, I think I'd rather acknowledge Lorde's talent from afar than actually have to attend one of her shows.

Had a good hard interval session last night - now I've got one last reasonably hard tempo run before starting to roll it back.  I've been a bit surprised with the intervals - I've felt really tired about halfway through but manage to see it out and maintain the pace.  I'm hoping the pain I feel in interval sessions only occurs for a couple of km in the race.

Agree with the comments on the course, it's a magnificent place to run - light wind will make it a very fast course.  Hopefully the turns at the end aren't as sharp as they look.

Last night's session (200 metre recovery for each interval):

500m    3:50 pace

500m    3:41 pace

500m    3:48 pace

500m    3:52 pace

1km      3:47

1km      3:50

2km      3:55 and 3:52

2024 Races:

running metalhead

Rune: Kudos for the PR mate, if I run Amsterdam we can drink a beer! And don't worry for pit stops, we have channels here, LOL.

Flavio: LOL, I was reading your RR earlier at work and laughing my a** out. Been there seen it! Great time BTW.

My Week: 
                              If you check out the last link in Strava you'll see a run of 44:something... well, that was actually a 10K race. I'll explain: 

We were supposed to run an Ekiden, it was a secondary race for me but my running group needed somebody to make 2 groups and it came handy. My initial idea was to run the Q1 on Saturday and then the 10K at marathon pace (4:58 for 3:30). The whole thing began to become weird when they decided to put me with the fast guys. Fast like Flavio or Mark I mean.

To make matters worse one of the fast guys became injured and they cajoled me to run 2 10Ks. Not a big  deal as I still wanted to do the Q1. But I thought "What the hell, I'm doing one 10K at E pace and let's try my best in the second". So I changed the Q1 to Wednesday... 25K with 2x 10K at marathon  pace. But as things are, I got happy feet and did the intervals at JD marathon pace instead of the slower pace for 3:30 (it's  4:40ish) and 27km instead of 25 (16 / 18 miles, note that I do the JD training in miles). So, I was pretty battered and I decided to rest and do a good couple of 10K.

Well, the last day before the race I got a message on Whatsapp that there was a substitute. I was thus free to try a decent 10K with my aim set at 42-ish (my JD time for 10K) or.... maybe a Lady Gaga!!!! 

The race day was competely crazy: I took a bus and landed in the  wrong stadium as in Zwolle all the sport clubs are called PEC-1910 (don't ask me why). I had to take a bus and I fortunately arrived with plenty of time, met the fellow runners, asked for everybody's times and attached out bib numbers... I was going to be the second after Emily, he was going to do a 5K in 20 minutes. He's faster than that but he was going to run on two groups as the second "slower" one was missing a runner (this is allowed in this Ekiden as it's not an advantage but rather a handicap).  

Thus, ,Emile started and I set my Garmin for a 10 minutes. I did the warmup on the track and started my striders... on one side of the track people were warming up and the runners in the race were running a lap on the ineermost track.... So, I was happily doing my thing concentrated on form and with my mind set at beating Lady Gaga... Yes, I could do it! And then suddenly I heard my team mates screaming "Enric, Enti!" F*ck! Emile was there already and I was 300m from the finish were we had to exchange the bands.  Emile was staring to sprint and I had to keep his pace to not slow him down and reach the exchange point... we managed to do it but I started the run completely out of breath and with my darn Garmin set to intervals... the rest of the race consisted in trying to get my heart rate down, recover my breath, fight with my Garmin which was still happily marking the end of each stride and rest periods and so on and at the same time sweating blood thinking on where I would get a Lady Gaga  dress, LOL... Pretty featureless besides of that, 2 laps that felt like ages and at the end I had no idea what time I did.

As a group we did the 4th place with 2:57:something, Emile did 20:57 and the only girl on our group a staggering 19:50... and  she is a Trail runner who just came back from an injury and has just started with road running with her boyfriend. Awesome.

As of me: The official time is 42:01, place 42 (what a coincidence). Thus twice above  Lady Gaga time :_(

So, here it goes: 

Gaga

Well, and here my week (note, I leave the "unofficial time" for the race)

Here is the official  link with the time: https://uitslagen.nl/uitslag?id=2018032521420&tl=nl&zk=Enric+Martinez

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, Mar 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
                              Tue 6.5 8:05 0:52 Evening Run 127 (68%) strava
                              Thu 16.5 7:57 2:11 Afternoon Run 137 (73%) strava
                              Fri 2.0 10:56 0:21 Lunch Hike 120 (64%) strava
                              Sun 0.9 9:07 0:08 Lunch Run 143 (76%) strava
                              Sun 6.4 6:55 0:44 Lunch Run 159 (85%) strava
                                32.3 7:59 4:18      

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Enric nice race report and excellent photo  that was an eventful day for you. Very good 10k time too.

Steve nice workout. You are hitting some fast paces there.

Keen Im not really a Lorde music fan but there was a photo of her with Steven Adams from OKC Thunder so thats how I found out she was there. Been a one man band I have to sell the security systems and install and maintain them and do the office work. The only part I hate is crawling around in attics running wires as Im getting too old. Luckily most houses here get wired while they are been built.

I need to get some decent mileage weeks in as my endurance is quite poor right now.