Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Jmac - the fact you can run there at night is amazing in itself Smile

Do you sometimes feel like hitting some of the places displayed in the TV series?

I keep thinking I’d like to visit that vietnamese restaurant they show in Mr Robot. The main actor said in an interview that their audience skyrocketed haha.

Rune - If it were the toilet break it could be something else. Marathons always bring some nice surprises.

Mark - that’s nothing, I went to a Roxette concert. Twice! All in the recent era also, now that Marie has lost her voice. Call it a teenager crush haha.

Steve - a 6 mile tempo at race pace would be a good way to know. As you know you’re lacking in training volume, but it may well be that you’re just very talented and you’re going to crush it.

That said, you're certainly in a good shape, so you might want to schedule a 5K and a 10K a couple of weeks after the half. When you're in PR shape you are in PR shape for all distances.

me - Question to yall! There's another 5K in the series in 3 weeks. Do you guys think I should stick to 5x1000, maybe go for longer 4x1200 or for a shorter 6x800? I somehow feel I could benefit from 4x1200 as it'd improve my speed endurance.

Also, I bumped on this video by Mark Cucuzzella about running form again today. His form is legendary (IMHO) and he talks a lot about the fact you should land below the center of gravity and that you should pull your feet up, not push against the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Good video Flavio. The term quiet feet I think refers to a quick soft landing which is something i try and achieve.

You could try 6x1000s at the pace you did 5x1000s. That will be progress if you can do that. I used to do 6x1000 when i was fitter and in my mid 40s 😀

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - what Piwi said re 10k tempo as a predictor.  Also what Flavio said re PB form.  I ran a 10km TT a week before the Auckland HM in 2016, ending up PBing by 30 seconds, then ran a PB in the HM too (by a big 1:40).

Flavio - I am a sucker for 5x1000 but I think pushing up to 1200's (or even 1500's) might give you some real benefits.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

running metalhead

Rune: Awesome RR, perfect for procrastinating at the office while stuff is "compiling" LOL.  I appreciate reading these reports as a way of mental training. I can't recall how it's called but reading  about running feels as if I were doing it myself. I am running Rotterdam in 2 weeks and aiming for 3:30-ish, thus very much the same paces. I run with a few buddies too. I just hope they don't sneak in any surprise miles Wink

Flavio: Sorry mate, bwaaahaaa. Thanks for the video, it just happens that I am trying to fix some issues with my form right now, nothing serious but I want to polish it a bit. Great!

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
          - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
          - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
          - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
          - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
          - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - Did some calculations based on my training / JD style workouts. I would say go for 4x1200 with 400 meter slow jog recovery. Based on your estimated 18:45 or so in 5K if your watch was right, you should be able to hit these in 4:25.

Edit: forgot to answer your TV question (also, yes, it's amazing how NYC has changed in the past 30 years that nobody would step foot in Central Park in the 80's yet now at 9 PM in the summer the park is PACKED with runners. Also great to get out there at night in the winter because there's nobody there and you have the park to yourself yet feel completely safe). Anyway, no not really for TV stuff, I've been in NYC now for over 10 years, pretty much seen it all. Often the best stuff to do is exploring new restaurants or going to the outer boroughs to experience more authentic dining experiences, e.g. Chinese food that Chinese people actually eat.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks all. This thread really is moving fast. I missed yesterday helping to move my grandparents to an assisted living center and I'm a couple pages behind!

Rune - Good RR. Bummer about the long race.

Jaime - Killer LR.

JMac - The 2x3 mi wasn't too bad. I've actually done at least 4 + 3 before, maybe 4 + 4 (with 1 mi easy between, though). I just really love running near LT. Maybe I'm just more suited to that than shorter/faster or longer/slower stuff - my HM PRs have almost always been objectively my strongest.

ETA: Poor weather the last couple days has put me on the treadmill. I queued up the new season of Better Call Saul and also opened up Zwift on my wife's old iphone (paired to Stryd).

One interesting thing I've noticed is that for most runs Strava will strip out the power data from the file sync'd from Garmin Connect, but not from a Zwift-sync'd run. Strava doesn't actually display the running power data when it comes from Zwift, but it's there in the background. I only noticed this because I sync my data to Strive.ai. It's an app that pulls data from Strava and analyzes running or cycling HR and/or power data and alerts you when you hold higher-than-previous efforts for various lengths. Getting an email about new run power thresholds after the Zwift runs tipped me off.

Also: bummer that Strava doesn't give out trophies for Zwift runs like they do for rides! 

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Do you like Zwift? Does it make running on a treadmill any more bearable? Because I have yet to find anything that allows me to get past 4 miles on one.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Enric - Thanks! Since you are running Rotterdam I figured I would mention some guys from Norway, they refer to themselves as "Super-joggers" or something like that, basically normal people with normal jobs and family who take their training very seriously. They formed a group they call Breaking 2:30, and Rotterdam is their targeted spring race. The real goal race is Berlin but Rotterdam is supposed to be a good measuring stick for how their training is going. One of the guys finished 49th overall in New York last year with 2:32:53.

In any case, it's really interesting following their training with lots of miles and lots of hard long runs. Too bad their posts on Strava/Facebook/Instagram are all in Norwegian so if you don't know the language you would have to use google translate to figure out what they are talking about.

Flavio - Killer 5k, and a great RR to boot. You really have some good speed in your legs. If you are looking for intervals, make sure you use the 5k result to find proper interval speed from Jack Daniels or somewhere else so you hit the right intensity target. But I think it is a good idea to not go over 5 minutes on your intervals as Jack Daniels suggests, otherwise the intervals get too hard to keep the right intensity level. And I will definitely look at that video in my lunch break today.

I woke up today and finally feel pretty normal again. There is still some lingering soreness in my left leg but I got out of bed and didn't really think about it today, while the previous two days I was really slow on my first steps of the day.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Well I decided to stick with the 60 minutes including 2x20 mins tempo last night rather than the 10km tempo but it turned out almost the same.

In those 40 mins I covered 9.72km, the 2 minute recovery in between was at 6:20min/km pace but my watch tells me at some point during the run I did a 41:53 10km which is just a few seconds quicker than the HM pace I'm targeting.  I didn't feel too fatigued and certainly could have gone faster during the tempo sections so I think I'm in good shape to have a crack at sub 90 - the last 5km is when I'll find out I guess, the lack of volume could punish me, but I'm happy to line up at the start knowing I'm in with a chance assuming nothing goes wrong in the next 10 days...

I'm spending most of Easter at Hagley Oval so will have to watch the beer intake.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Steve very nice. That will give you great confidence after nailing that workout. I will look out for you on TV at the cricket . The Aussies have fallen to some dark depths after the cheating they did.

Rune those guys are very fast for part timers  Its definitely harder with real life going on alongside training. Guys like that are still classed as sub elite I would think.

Keen Strava is far from perfect. My TomTom software has splits a couple of secs/km faster than it shows on Strava ?

I did 8kms recovery today keeping in mind Flavios video on form. Ended up running at 5.45/km 

MJ - longer than 20 minutes you say? who are we kidding 

You are from the country of the guarana and maca - but I guess you burn off all energy during your intervals like your crazy fast 5k today Wink

Joined the Strava March competition just to realize that the leaderboard starts with a guy with some 1600km in March...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Ive noticed on the sub 1.30 strava group that the mileage is dominated by russian guys with huge mileage 180-200 kms/week.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Honestly I don't pay much attention to Zwift when running on the treadmill; I've gone through the first 3.5 episodes of the latest season of Better Call Saul to hit Netflix to keep me occupied. If not that I probably would have been listening to Ten Junk Miles (podcast).
                            Zwift is dominated by cyclists, so seeing more than a couple runners is rare; and there has never been someone running a pace close to mine. Just for kicks I've been carrying my wife's old iphone with me with Zwift open even on the roads. I just want to see how high I can level up before they make runners start paying for it at the end of the year. I highly doubt that I'll actually sign up for a paying subscription when that happens. Currently running levels go to 21, and I'm at about 10.5 after not quite 250 miles.

Piwi - I think the Strava not liking running power is because they don't quite know what to do with it yet and that it messes with cycling power - there's currently no way to set a running FTP like you can for the bike. Maybe one of these days it'll change, since I really like the running power thing, especially for pacing hills.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

?

Marky_Mark_17

Keen / Piwi - there were a few guys over on the sub-3 forum (e.g. Iamdisappoint) that were really into the running power stuff and seemed to be really helpful for them.

Steve - good signs from those tempo sections.  I agree endurance will be the key thing for you so you'll want to be smart about your pacing strategy on the day and not go out too quick.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks Mark.  What do you think is a good strategy?

4:15mins/km until 10km then look to increase it?  Last year in ChCh I was right on 4:12mins/km until 16km then couldn't hold it so perhaps if I get to 16km 30-45 seconds slower I'll have enough in the bank.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024