Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

I would clip a tether onto Mark and then you will run sub 1.20 Steve 

Keen yes as Mark says Iamdisapoint ( Dan ) uses power extremely well. He was struggling to break 3 for a few years and is now a low 2.40s guy. Im too lazy to look into it and havent even ventured down the Heartrate monitor road yet.....

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

ha, this is true.  Sure it'll kill off his chances in the series but I'll take it

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Haha if there wasn't a PR and series placing on the line I might consider it!

Piwi, Flavio and Watson may remember the great debates that ensued back on the old (old) sub-1:30 thread at RW when I first joined and was running too fast too often.

Well on my Strava feed lately I've seen a very good local runner (who shall remain nameless) doing just that.  90-100km weeks at an average of probably 4:10/km, while also doing several crossfit sessions.  Said runner is also complaining about injuries.  Hmm.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Haha if there wasn't a PR and series placing on the line I might consider it!

Piwi, Flavio and Watson may remember the great debates that ensued back on the old (old) sub-1:30 thread at RW when I first joined and was running too fast too often.

Well on my Strava feed lately I've seen a very good local runner (who shall remain nameless) doing just that.  90-100km weeks at an average of probably 4:10/km, while also doing several crossfit sessions.  Said runner is also complaining about injuries.  Hmm.

I remember some of those discussions (although I joined a bit later) along with in the sub 3 thread. I'm amazed at the different speeds people run. I think so much of it has to do with mileage though, because I can guarantee you that professionals running 100+ MPW are probably running around your average workout pace and yet obviously run the half around 60 minutes. However, that's because their legs are just constantly dead from putting in so much mileage. I even noticed a bit of that myself: I couldn't crack 8 minutes a mile on easy pace when I was marathon training, and yet 2 weeks afterwards, I was easily doing 7:00 to 7:15 on easy runs.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mark its good to see you slow down to 4.12/km last week average  just kidding i know you look after yourself.

Happy easter everyone. 4 days holiday here and primo weather for running and surfing and fishing so Im in my element 

What y'all up to ?

runethechamp

Happy Easter to you too Piwi, and everyone else. I guess I better start running again some day. Legs feel good, although I'm still a little bit tight in my left hamstring. Since the weather turned and is nice I will probably take a bike ride of some sorts as well. IT's been waaay to long since I had the bike out, I just don't like riding in cold weather and/or rain.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Although our weather here is still garbage (we had 25 days in a row below average in March!), at least I know summer is coming.

I felt something in my quad last week in my repeats workout. I didn't think much of it because I knew I was taking 4 days off in a row. It felt good for the beginning of my repeat workout on Tuesday, but about halfway through my reps, I felt it again. I may have a very mild strain. I was able to get a tempo workout done last night with minimal pain, but it definitely feels off, so I skipped the repeats I was supposed to add on top of that tempo work. I don't have to run at that speed again until Tuesday, so we'll see how it does with my long run this weekend and whether it's truly just something that bothers me during "sprinting." I'm also working on a lot of rolling because I'm noticing pain away from that site, so it may just be some fascia getting all screwed up with the mild strain.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JamesD

JamesD

Glad to see so much activity on the board, and on the roads.  I had a good week mileage-wise.  My knee hurt a little more, but only in the last mile or so of runs.  Don't know whether that was mainly the result of longer long runs or of standing up a lot at a party we hosted last Sunday.  May take a down week, depending on how it feels after a rest day.

Sun - off

Mon - 9.3 miles easy

Tues - 6.5 easy to moderate

Weds - 27 minutes swimming

Thurs - 9.3 easy

Fri - 6.5 easy and slow, legs felt tired

Sat - 6.7 easy including 5.7 @ 8:20 and strides

Sat - 20 minutes swimming

Total - 38.3 miles

YTD Average - 30 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My week is done. As I mentioned, definitely have something going on in the quad. It didn't exactly feel great during my long run today, but wasn't really very painful. Sort of just a dull aching. I definitely think there are fascia issues though which I'll have to keep working on. I'm a little worried for my race next week because I don't want to cause this niggle to become a true sprain. I'm having a hard time determining whether I should back off or not. I'm probably going to try to do some strides on Monday to see how that feels, and then determine whether I will complete my planned 10x400 or not. Hopefully tomorrow's rest plus my mini-taper into my 10K will help heal it up. Question for the group though - how do all of you determine what level of discomfort on strains (since I've never had one before) is something you can run through vs you should stop? I feel like I'm still in the run through camp because a) it isn't getting worse and b) it's not a constant pain, just comes and goes during the run, but I don't want to necessarily make it worse, which is why I've abandoned anything above tempo speed for now.

Either way though, pretty happy with my week and progress. My 15 miler felt pretty easy today, which is much better than the difficult 13 miler I did 2 weeks ago. So some things up, some things down. I'd be pretty confident at going sub 39 and actually having an outside chance at PR next week if it wasn't for this bothersome quad.

Day Miles Description
                      Mon  -  
                      Tue 9 4x400, 1E, 4x400
                      Wed 4 Recovery
                      Thu 9 4E, 3T, 2E
                      Fri 8 Easy
                      Sat 15 Long Run
                      Sun -  
                      Total  45 Rolling 12 Week Average: 21.3 

Marky_Mark_17

James - nice week

Jmac - nice week but bummer re the quad.  I'd just see how you feel for the 10k.  A bit of rest and taper can work wonders and it's hopefully just something minor.

Me - semi-taper this week with 59km - following the approach from Coatesville which seemed to work well.  Wednesday's workout (3x12 min above HMP / 3 min rest) was my last big one before the race, aimed for 3:35-3:40/km and the first 2 reps were good but I was really having to push by mid-way through the 3rd.  It was kind of what I expected and is the sort of 'dig deep' approach I might need next Sunday.  Also finally managed to hit my sub-5 minute mile, with a 4:57 on the track this morning.  Taper time this week!!

M: weights

T: 12km easy

W: 16.3km incl. 3 x 12 min above HMP / 3 min rest

Th: weights

F: 10.5km incl. 3 x 2 min hill reps

S: 12.5km easy

S: 7.6km track workout incl. 1 mile effort (4:57)

Total: 58.9km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jmac I think once it alters your running gait its time to rest it. Im dealing with sore lower leg/achilles its quite dead and sore in there and Im not fully confident on it. Its actually been like this for several months.On my long run today towards the end i felt like my gait was getting compromised.

Mark congrats on the sub 5 mile. I guess that gives you an appreciation for sub 4 milers !

James solid week and even better for the swimming.

Rune good to hear you are recovering.

My week

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Mar 26, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 01, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Mon 6.2 8:06 Afternoon Run strava
                          Tue 7.0 7:55 Lunch Run with Corsta strava
                          Wed 6.2 7:41 Morning Run strava
                          Thu 5.0 9:11 Morning Run strava
                          Sat 6.2 9:32 pap hills strava
                          Sun 13.0 7:40 With Da Burrett strava
                            43.6 8:13    

Piwi: Nice consistent runs. I just feel for the kiwi who got beaten up by Joshua Wink And I was listening to an audiobook that mentioned that Cleveland lost the last final to Golden State (who I hear are moving to SFO soon?) because LeBron had been extremely fatigued & burned out, having played more games than anyone ever in the 3 years preceding the final.  I think it was Iguodala's defending magic though. Let's see what happens this year.

All others: great paces everyone. I am always extremely amazed. I hope it won't take another two or three years before I get to run my easy runs that fast and then run the repetition workouts consistently below 4min/km. As mentioned my goal race is at the end of September and I have a hm that I am trying to get in shape for in early June. But I am miles and miles away. I hope this makes you guys feel better Smile

Me: I had a good week for my standards, with 40mpw which is a nice plateau that I will try to hold until my first hm this year early June. I have included some indoor cycling to increase aerobic endurance and I only did 45minutes in order to see how my legs would react to it. I will increase this going forward. My long runs aren't really long, as compared to many of you. I try to stick to the 25% rule that JD sets out - I know as soon as my tendons and muscles can take more beating, I will increase this slowly. But slowly is key here for me. I will start to do more hills, so my average paces will drop further, but that is intentional as I am helping out a friend on a 11k relay which has a 300m climb - this will happen on May 5th. And tennis season is about to start. Great sport to get your tendons, ligaments and particularly the knee screwed up. But I cannot help it. I suck at it but love it.

Anyways, here's my week:

Mo  E-Day + 10 Strides 14,0
                            Tu 8xH for 3 min with 2 min recovery 13,3
                            We 4  Sets of 1.6km @ T w/ 1 min rest 13,0
                            Th Off 0,0
                            Fr Easy Easter 10k 10,0
                            Sa Indoor Cycling 45min at 130bpm 0,0
                            Su Long E run - max 120min & 25% 15,0
                            TOTAL   65,3

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - nice week and yeah crazy to think those 4 minute milers are going a full 20% faster!!

Mick - great week but yeah tennis is pretty rough for injuries.  Almost as bad as cricket... standing around for ages followed by short intense periods of action.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mick nice week. I think it took me a couple of years to cope with 80kms plus per week. Dont worry about your paces. Its all relative. I feel terribly slow compared to alot of my strava mates and there will be plenty slower than you. I will try and match your 40 mpw over the next month.

Mark sub 5 mile is about 3.05/km ? Thats some serious pace.