Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good luck again to the big boy racers.

Down here in the junior leagues, my 10K race forecast improved somewhat. It was going to be a mixture of snow/rain, with accumulations up to 3". That, to put it bluntly, would have been a disaster. Now, it's just cloudy but still cold (37F/3C) and some wind. Not good conditions but not as bad. We'll see what actually happens morning of, but I will report back as always.

I have no idea what to expect given my lack of racing, but I'll go out at 6:10/3:50 pace and see where it takes me!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

3:50 pace in a 10km is junior leagues????

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - I'd hardly say 3:50/k for 10km is junior league, particularly considering your injury layoff!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Steve - Is it possible this is from plantar fasciitis? If you sit on a figure 4 shape, and press your thumb against the bottom of your feet, especially around the big tendon, does it hurt?

I have similar symptoms (sore ankle) and it's almost always related to the sole of the foot.

Mark - I have been doing the functional training since November and I have really noticed how having a coach makes a huge difference in progress. I think it has a lot to do with the coach offering you a very varied training with many different stimuli which helps you improve. Plus all the customization and the ability to see things from a different perspective.

Without a coach we tend to do a lot of the same training over and over, quickly reaching plateaus.

Good luck to the racers!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Jmac I would love to get back to junior league standards !

Steve dont discount race day adrenalin as a numbing effect on soreness.

Flavio I am  guilty of doing the same training over and over without enough stimulus. I will try and vary it up once I have a small base to work off.

Mick I got that round the wrong way, order your US size in Adidas. I actually stuffed up and got US 9.5 instead of 10 but luckily they still fit fine as the upper is very forgiving.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - I don't think that's it, no soreness under my foot.  It seems to be slightly improving today.

Piwi - Yep, I still think it will be fine.  Worst case I'll use a painkiller but surely it won't impact the race.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - other possibility is peroneal tendon.  Have a google and see if it fits.  If so, a bit of taping might go a long way - easy enough to do if you have some k tape or rock tape.

Piwi - crazy how much shoe sizes can vary.  I am 12 in Mizuno and Asics, and a 13 in Saucony.  Actually probably a 12.5 in Saucony would be perfect but they don't do half sizes above 12.  The extra 0.5 just makes it feel a tad spacious but it doesn't cause me any issues and is still comfortable.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark are you enjoying the hockey , 6-2 up on Canada. Thats the trouble with buying shoes online, you must be sure of the fit and sizing.

Steve hope you guys have a great race. Weather looks great.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark, it sounds similar to what I'm experiencing.  A bit nervous about taping for the first time in a race...I might do some more icing and see how it feels tomorrow.  I refuse to believe it's serious.

Thanks piwi, everything looks to be lining up nicely with the weather

2024 Races:

jaimegu

Hi, guys,

I'm sorry I'm almost absent.  This trip is taking a toll  somehow

I want to wish best of conditions for the racers this weekend, including the one in junior league

Mark, Steve and Jmac

I don't feel like I'm qualified to comment on pink shoes or duck feet, if only you can spare us from the pictures of miniskirts that go along

Rune: the more the merrier, you have enough time to ramp up

Me:

Planning on joining the largest HM in the world: Göteborgsvarvet  (May 19)... a little expensive 900SEK or 110US.  Need to make my mind before Sunday because that's the deadline to submit my previous time and get seeded in the first waves

This week, almost nothing.. I need to put some miles in 3 days

Previous week:

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Mar 26, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 01, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Mon 6.1 8:11 The last one... Running errands strava
                      Thu 1.1 12:17 To the office strava
                      Thu 9.7 7:47 Skatås Motionscentrum 8k loop strava
                      Fri 12.3 7:38 Exploring the town strava
                      Sat 8.8 9:37 Easy turisten strava
                      Sun 17.1 7:58 To the sea... And back strava
                        55.1 8:13    

runethechamp

Good luck to Mark, JMAc and Steve!

I have to say I'm enjoying just noodling around this week, mostly running with our dog. And if you've ever seen your personal heatmap on Strava, I've decided I will start to fill mine out with the local streets around my neighborhood instead of just running the same routes over and over again. Makes the easy runs a lot more interesting.

This captures most of my local runs, with a couple of exceptions:

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Racers: good luck to you all. I'll be following the Auckland Half online somewhere just to see how Mark and Steve get through. I expect Flavio to post the bib info again Wink hint hint I just saw that you start at 6am haha good time for me to follow with a glass of wine or beer or both in my hand. And envy you for the trucker cap that you can chose as a gift. Cool stuff!

Rune: I am not sure I can view my personal heatmap on Strava (I use the free version) but I have the Suunto heatmap and its definitely something I want to do more of. But I just get lost so often its terrible...

Jaime: I didnt realize you would be staying in SWE this long! I quickly glanced at the route of the half and surprise surprise you ran it the other day as your long run. I had thought back then wow how does he know his way around that city if he's not from there. Now I know! So I guess you will shell out the 110 bucks and run the worlds largest half in May? Wink

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ha I meant junior leagues as in I'm running half of a half marathon! Didn't mean it in that annoying other way to read it.

Those heatmaps are cool, but mine would be useless as I run the same loop in Central Park every 9 out of 10 runs. I do have some trips coming up that I need to find new places to run. I find it's most difficult to get long runs in when you're in foreign places. You're either running some 1 mile loop 15 times, or you are just taking a chance that you'll remember how to get back home at some turnaround point.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

There are live updates but I'm not sure I want to post the link to mine....

Instead I'll be extremely presumptuous and post Mark's...

http://live.tiktok.biz/results/view/waterfront/2018/0089

In theory this should update from 7:30am NZ time at each km...I'm not overly confident though since they couldn't get the app ready in time.

JMac - Know exactly what you mean.  On my last US trip I found some great places to run (Central Park, Lake Michigan waterfront in Milwaukee, Burlington Bike Path) but also had times like in Portland, Maine where I ran about a 1km loop 15+ times.  Freezing cold wind and rain, did not enjoy that one.  The bourbon was nice afterwards though.

It is freezing cold in Christchurch today, seems to be scorching or freezing, but I guess it is autumn.  Looking forward to getting on the plane.  Going to try my 15 min jog on the ankle which is still sore.  It seems worse when I try to protect it than when I put all my weight on it so maybe running will be even better.

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Okay, did 15 mins with strides and felt fine.  Ankle only sore when walking so I'm going to take the plunge.

http://live.tiktok.biz/results/view/waterfront/2018/1523

If I'm at 42:30 at 10km and 1:07.30 at 16km then I'm in the game.

2024 Races: