Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Steve thats great news, good luck.

Jmac phew I was starting to feel slow 

Mick beer and wine thats just greedy lol.

Jaime how many in that half ?

Rune nice heatmap. I am also on the free version of strava.

Rest day for me. Went for a surf last night and this morning so got in some upper body fitness at least. Will aim for 21kms sunday to finish the week.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

runethechamp

Mick - Yeah, looks like the heatmap is a Premium feature.

Steve - Good luck in the race. I was thinking about outing your bib number but now you did yourself so it's all good 

It's raining here in some sort of last gasp of this year's winter. It's still warm (60F, 16C) and it should be done by tomorrow though so no big deal. My ankles still get sore from running but I'm not too worried (yet).

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Yep they are experimenting with having live tracking and splits every 1km on this race.  I think it's the first time anyone has tried it in a race down here.  This will actually be the third biggest timed race in Auckland (after the Auckland Marathon and Round the Bays) and has sold out at 2,750 (across HM, 10km, 5km and I think there's a kid's 2km too).  Even if the 1km splits don't work it's cool to see someone taking the risk on a brand new race with some new innovations so hopefully it does.

When I reviewed the course map the only issue will be possibly a bit of congestion because of the way the laps work.  Between ~14km-17km we will be passing slower runners finishing their first lap.  But not much can be done about that.  Other than that conditions looking ideal.

Piwi - yep the hockey was good but Ghana are easy beats tbh.  England and Australia will be the real challenge.

Rune - I remember when we were in San Francisco 3 years ago it had gone 45 days without raining so I guess you guys probably aren't too worried about a bit of rain!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Back on the old Runnersworld forums the sub 3 group tracked me at the Melbourne Marathon but it was very dodgy and I was on track for a 2.30 finish after the reading at 10kms . Hopefully new technologies are making tracking more accurate.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Rune - is it that easy to work out?

Made it to Auckland and the weather is perfect, albeit a bit warm this afternoon.  Just went down to the finish line and felt a flutter of nerves but I'm looking forward to it now, the work is done.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yep they are experimenting with having live tracking and splits every 1km on this race.  I think it's the first time anyone has tried it in a race down here.  This will actually be the third biggest timed race in Auckland (after the Auckland Marathon and Round the Bays) and has sold out at 2,750 (across HM, 10km, 5km and I think there's a kid's 2km too).  Even if the 1km splits don't work it's cool to see someone taking the risk on a brand new race with some new innovations so hopefully it does.

When I reviewed the course map the only issue will be possibly a bit of congestion because of the way the laps work.  Between ~14km-17km we will be passing slower runners finishing their first lap.  But not much can be done about that.  Other than that conditions looking ideal.

Piwi - yep the hockey was good but Ghana are easy beats tbh.  England and Australia will be the real challenge.

Rune - I remember when we were in San Francisco 3 years ago it had gone 45 days without raining so I guess you guys probably aren't too worried about a bit of rain!

It seems really well organised so hopefully they have thought of that and do some marshaling.

The live tracking is great, I've got a few people around the world following so that will inspire me/give me a kick.

2024 Races:

runethechamp

Rune - is it that easy to work out?

Well, if I assume your first name is Steve and look up one of your listed races in your signature, yes 

Good luck to you you and Mark!

Getting back into it

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Ha, of course, forgot about the signature.  I would have deserved to be outed if I chickened out anyway...I joined this thread for a reason.

2024 Races:

jaimegu

Hi, guys,

Piwi:  they have between 60000 and 65000 for the event, out of them 42000 to 47000 are running the HM

Mick:  It's my first time in Gothenburg... I spend quite some time trying to plan for routes.  I have offline google maps in my phone which I check sometimes during the runs.  For the last 2 runs I took the chance to run without my phone.  And yes, a midlong on Good Friday was close to the HM route.

JMac: I guess we all are pulling your leg

Re: Heatmaps> I think there are addons that can do that for you

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

I'll try to track the runners tonight... With a beer or two

Marky_Mark_17

It looks like I've done my usual 'big race' trick of sleeping badly, and waking up early in an excitable mood with way too much energy.  I'm resisting the urge to run around the house yelling 'ITS RACE DAY' as that would wake our 1 year old up.  And annoy the crap out of my wife, meaning I'd have to drive myself to the race.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I got about 6 hours with quite a few wake ups but I've had much less than that before a race before.  Now I'm eating my muesli and watching Rod Dixon in 1983 on youtube...luckily I'm staying at an AirBnB 2km from the start line.  It's so nice and cool right now.  Ankle feels fine and I'm now wondering if it was sore at all although I definitely remember the pain of walking!  So paranoid.

I might drive to about 1km from the start and jog from there, I doubt I'll be able to park much closer anyway.

2024 Races:

JamesD

JamesD

Good luck!

This was supposed to be a down week for me, but not this much of a down week.  I picked up a cold that has turned into a lingering sinus infection, so my scheduled Wednesday off day became a Wednesday-Saturday break.  Should be ok to go tomorrow, but that's what I thought yesterday about today, so we'll see.  My last few easy runs felt really good, almost effortless at times, so either the mileage bump over the last two months was starting to pay dividends or I was finally figuring out how to do them.  Hope they still feel that way next week.

Sun - off

Mon - 6.5 miles easy

Tues - 6.6 easy

Weds-Sat - off sick

Total - 13.1 miles

YTD average - 29 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

runethechamp

Anybody figure out the live tracking? I think the race started 20 minutes ago now...

Edit: Figured it out. Fast starts by both Mark and Steve! Mark on pace for 1:15 and Steve 1:30. Go guys!

Getting back into it

runethechamp

Slight slowdown by both but Mark in 6th after 13 on pace for 1:16! Steve past 11 in 47:04 which is still good for 1:30!

Getting back into it

runethechamp

Mark is about to chase down Chris Trent at 16 km, only 7 seconds back! It was 20 seconds 2 kms ago. Nervous about Steve, he's slowed down a bit the last 3 kms. Finish strong!

Getting back into it