Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

runethechamp

Piwi - Happy 50!

Mark - I see your buddy did pretty well at that trail half! Holy crap that's a fast time with all those hills.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Congrats on your recent upgrade to being the "young, fast guy" in your AG!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Happy Birthday Piwi! 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Thanks guys I really didnt want anybody to know.....

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Rune - yeah I think he actually won it?  Even though he walked up some of the hills!  I actually think the course measured quite short as his GPS was at 19.7km.  Still very sharp when there's 700m of elevation gain involved though.  And as for your Panama trip... yeah I think the choices there look like 'treadmill' or 'melt into a small puddle on the footpath'.

Marco - welcome!! It's definitely not too late to join - and thanks for the great intro.  With those short-distance times you must have a decent amount of speed (even if maybe a little less these days) so building the mileage and endurance will be the key and it certainly looks like you've been doing that.

Arvind - I admire how your 'slowly getting back' week is still bigger than my biggest mileage week of all time!

Piwi - I really like the clean sheet of paper for the PRs too!

JMac - I have to say the consistency of training is something I feel grateful for and definitely don't take for granted, especially after ~4 weeks of ITB-inflicted misery in Dec / Jan. As much as I do my best to do the things that help avoid injury - foam rolling, stretching, managing running load, supplementary resistance training, seeing the osteo regularly, etc., the reality is there's always some luck that comes into it and for the most part I've been pretty lucky so far.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

My consistecy has sucked 2017-2018.  The rest of 2018 is going to be good.

Marco - welcome.  Your youth PRs indicate fast twitch, good pace and volume will help.  200 mile months consistently will help you.

Piwi - happy birthday.

I also am in a new age group now (40-49), so I can atleast achieve old man PRs just by turning up to races.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

watsonc123

Arvind - nice week.  Plus post more please.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Happy belated bday Piwi!

I am sure you have some overall PBs in you. Your training has been pretty king these last couple of weeks.

Marco: Benvenuto. Great consistency and speed. Looks like you will be posting a fair amount of PBs here soon! Ps: I just returned from a 1 week Sicily vacation. Was great. Gained 4 pounds Sad and am currently only cycling since I am recovering my calf. So the gelati and pizze will remain with me for a while Smile

Jmac: I have done the hop test. My old bones hurt even when I am healthy Smile I feel it but its very minor. So I might have caught it on time. I think my mistake was to increase mileage during the JD Phase 3 which has tough intensive workouts. Well lesson learned. I had signed up for a relay on Saturday to help out a friend. This will be more of a easy run than a real race. Otherwise: the doctor didnt see anything on the xray and asked me to come back in 3 weeks and rest in between. Scumbag.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mick its hard not to go crazy when you are forced to rest. Cycling just never quite satisfies. How old are you ?

Watson your inconsistency is mostly due to important other life things which is totally understandable.

I was a bit silly today and doubled up after this mornings 13kms with 5x1000s. Did another 6kms while waiting for my son this afternoon and it wasnt good. Both achilles protesting and another pain surfacing in my foot. An old guy said to me I was going good and I laughed and said " you reckon ? " as i hobbled along at 6 min/km 

Anyway prob just need a couple of slow days to recover.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Arvind Balaraman

Arvind - I admire how your 'slowly getting back' week is still bigger than my biggest mileage week of all time!

Thank you Mark. Since my scarlet fever in Feb, I slowed down by 5-10 min on my half pace. Slowly trying to recover and improve my speed.

I ran 3 halfs this year so far

One in march where i struggled and managed 1:40 (last year I did 1:32).

Second one in MArch where I paced the 1:45 group successfully

Third in April where I did 1:37 (goal was sub 1:40). I did 1:30 last year

so my paces have reduced this year. Trying to improve before my full in Oct.

Arvind Balaraman

Will do Watson

Arvind Balaraman

Will do Watson

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - didn't we have a whole chat last year about how you tend to do this, i.e. build up too much too quickly, burn out, and then disappear for a couple of months? DON'T DO THAT AGAIN.

MJ - Unfortunately stress reactions don't show up on X-rays, so not surprising even if you did have something. He definitely does say not to increase mileage in Phase III, although I've been guilty of that myself. Overall, I'm not very happy with his 5K plan. I feel like it's pretty much exactly the same as the HM plan and I don't know that I'm getting enough shorter rep work in. I love both the HM and Marathon/2Q plan, but this 5K plan could use a lot of work. Next time I focus on this distance, I will probably try something else.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac: well you know I feel like if have read through the book 100 times and still didnt pay attention to this minor detail Smile I believe its the way my body reacts to too much too soon. Next cycle I will actually dial down during phase III. That will hopefully be around July/August if I get this over with within a month.

Piwi: If I am doing too much too soon then you are doing too much too late haha - sorry no more age related jokes here. You know what: I am a reverse Kenian when it comes to age. I am actually turning 38 in a few weeks but feel like I am 65. Smile Horrible. I hope this gets better with time. Can you confirm this?

Keen: I really enjoyed the RR and am just surprised that despite all the great work you didn't achieve a bigger PR. so it must have been the weather because  I pretty much had the impression of what you said somewhere else: the hay was in the barn. Where you following JD all the way? I am certain that if you could race another HM soon you'd be able to significantly lower your PB. Unless of course your previous PB was achieved with a similar effort?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

runethechamp

Piwi - Nice work on your 50th birthday! I actually did something similar, although with no intervals. 11 miles Saturday (with those drills), 11 Sunday, a double on Monday (5.5+2) and then 5.5 Tuesday morning. The mileage is not much to speak of but this was enough for my legs to feel completely beat when I was done Tuesday morning. Good thing is that I now got a full day and a half rest before my run tonight (Wednesday).

Mick - Yes, Phase 3 of JD is where the really hard work starts if I remember correctly, so the mileage should ideally have been built up before that (I'm trying to get to that in my Phase 1). Not entirely sure how this works on his 18-week 2Q program... Are the first 6 weeks Phase 2, the next 6 Phase 3, and then the last 6 Phase 4? If that's the case the program actually doesn't hit peak mileage until Phase 3 as Phase 2 is 2 weeks of 80% peak mileage and 4 weeks of 90%.

JMac - I haven't looked too closely at the 5k plan (doesn't JD throw it together with the 10k as well?), but I think the leap between a 5k/10k and a HM is less than the leap between a HM and a full marathon?

Arvind - Good to see you are recovering from your scarlet fever. Your mileage is very good already so I bet if you keep that up you will return to old heights in a little while.

Mark - Yes, Julian won that race. Although I don't know that course in particular, several of the local trails are so steep it's nearly impossible to run up, or just not worth it. Walking is just as fast and less taxing on your calves. One race I will try to do again this year has a hill with about 650 feet of elevation change over about 3/4 of a mile. And that's the average slope over that distance. Regarding length, I've found several of the trail races to measure a bit short on gps, but remember that gps only measures the projected distance onto a falt surface, and doesn't account for the added distance due to the steep hills. On streets this is rarely an issue, on steep trails I think it can add up.

Watson - Looking forward to the consistency!

I will be trying to get a medium long run in tonight, or whatever you want to call it. 10 miles or so, a couple with the dog to start, mostly easy, probably with some hills mixed in, maybe some drills. And I cut down on my coffee consumption from 3 or 4 cups in the morning to just one to see if it helps on my emergency bathroom breaks. And so far it seems to work, which makes me very excited. Now let's see how it works out tonight.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it