Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

runethechamp

Grumble, grumble, had a long reply to a lot of you done here and I accidentally closed the tab. I'll try again.

Mark - It's not easy to run fast when you are clenching your butt cheeks as hard as you can to prevent a disaster 

Piwi - My coffee mod still works. No breaks needed during my run yesterday!

JMac - Thanks for the math, turns out it has a lot less effect than I originally thought. Certainly not enough to make up 1.4 kms.

Mick - A formula I found a while ago seems to work pretty well. It says you will run grade times 3.3 slower for uphill, grade times 1.8 faster for downhill. So if your plan is to run 1 mile in 7:00/mile on flat ground, but it's a steady 100 foot elevation change over that mile, the adjustment will be 1+3.3x100/5280 = 1.0625. 420 seconds x 1.0625 =446 seconds, or a 7:26 mile. Downhill the adjustment is 1-1.8*100/5280 = 0.9659, or a 6:46 mile. So if you run two miles, first mile 100 feet up, the other one 100 feet down, you lose about 12 seconds compared to flat ground according to this. Not sure how this works when the hills get really steep though.

So I ran 10.6 miles yesterday for my weekly mid-long run. Started out with the dog for close to 3 miles, kept it easy for a couple more miles, then hit a hill that was steep enough that it was nearly impossible to keep an easy effort. I therefore decided to step up to a more moderate effort (a hair slower than tempo pace) and kept it for about 4.5 miles. Had to stop a few times for traffic lights and such, but towards the end it turns out I ran a strava segment that's 3/4 of a mile long at 6:48 pace. My legs felt great after a day and a half of rest and best of all, no bathroom breaks needed!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Rune - Running with a group is always better. However these small local races don’t have pace groups and sub 1h30 is less than 30 people.

Mark - maybe half Jesus hehe

Mark - is the coach local kiwi or from training peaks?

Piwi - great advice on the pace, I can see we think alike haha.

Yeah Kiprop bust is a long time coming he had his fair share of suspect performances.

Watson - My 10K workout last week had me running a 1h28 at 21c. My only concern is lack of endurance. I have 80km per week past 3 weeks then average 60km per week the 6 weeks before that.

MJ - I have a perfect formula for that. I look at past results and compare agains that same people racing on flat races.

Testosterone supplements, I’m rolling here laughing but really hoping I never need them.

Marco - unless you run the marathon as a long run, you should avoid any fast stuff on the month after.

As for the marathon, you don't have mental barriers, just lack of endurance/fitness. Miles and miles and miles will give you that edge.

And weight loss. Usually the miles take care of the weight loss.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

runethechamp

Flavio - A buddy of mine was studying people's efforts on the uphills and downhills of the previous Berkeley Halfs before the race last fall, and we talked back and forth a bit about what he found. He basically dug up the races on Strava that finished in the vicinity of 1:30 and plugged it into a spreadsheet. Interestingly enough we found that on average people started too fast, ran faster than my formula on the uphills, slower on the downhills, and slowed down at the end. But if you went to the top finishers that all changed. They all started slower than their average pace, were more conservative on the uphills, blasted the downhills, and kept their pace all the way until the end. So I always take what the average person does with a grain of salt . Your mileage is not that bad for your race, at least seem with my eyes. 40 miles per week for 6 weks, 50 miles for 3... I've never even been close to that 

Getting back into it

Rune as I read your post my wife just brought me my 2nd coffee and its only 7am 

Flavio Im about where you are with 3 weeks at 80kms and a couple at 70kms. Thats no where near enough base to be at our best but 1.28-1.30 will be a great result off that. You could sit at 4.15/km till 15km....then blast/limp home 

Marco thankyou. What I did in 2013/2014 when I ran my only 2 marathons was follow the Pete Pfitzinger 18/70 plan from his book advanced marathoning. Over 18 weeks it put me in my best running shape ever to run 2 sub 3s. I would not consider running another marathon if I did not have a 60 mpw base over 18 weeks prior.

Mick unless I read the story wrong that guy is Graham Green from England a well known masters runner along with his brother ?

Im not a supplement type person at all although I do take beer daily 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Rune - I usually pick somebody I know from other races. It's a relatively small racing scene Smile

Piwi - that said, Kiprop is innocent until the B sample test comes back and the trial completes.

As for the race on the one hand I know I'm lacking in endurance but I also have the 10K tempo in 4:09/km which brings a bit of confidence.

We'll see how the weather is on race day.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Flavio thats tempo sounds great good luck.

Im doing a Parkrun 5km tomorrow. Not sure where Im at but somewhere 18.30-18.50

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good luck Piwi! 18:30 would be very impressive given you only have a couple of Vo2 and that’s it for speedwork.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Good luck Piwi.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Rune: Wow ok I will see if I get the formula to work for me. Have to do the conversion. But then I am at the risk of screwing the multipliers up. So I guess I have to do it in miles first. For the Berkeley half top athletes your formula was a good fit?

Piwi: I was just jokingly referencing Yuri or Igor I don't recall his name but the guy who averages 400km in a week on Strava and was accused by someone from this forum of riding his bike Smile I wish I could look like an animal and run 2:36 marathons but you know what its not going to happen, ever. Beer is pretty strong on the hormonal side - as it is packed with estrogen and some women use it to soften the menopause. Might explain your tendency towards the girly colors when it comes to shoes Wink

All the racers this weekend: good luck. And: race reports please Wink

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi: I was just jokingly referencing Yuri or Igor I don't recall his name but the guy who averages 400km in a week on Strava and was accused by someone from this forum of riding his bike Smile I wish I could look like an animal and run 2:36 marathons but you know what its not going to happen, ever. Beer is pretty strong on the hormonal side - as it is packed with estrogen and some women use it to soften the menopause. Might explain your tendency towards the girly colors when it comes to shoes Wink

I approve of this post  Beer causes titties! Now let me go back to my bra selection process...

runethechamp

Good luck with that Parkrun Piwi!

Falvio - I'm convinced you'll be fine in your half.

I'm going to try those drills again tonight. Wish me luck, because I'll need it!

Getting back into it

Rune/Mick/Flavio if I give up beer and coffee my life will be nothing 

Just back from my Parkrun.

Parked about 1.5kms away and jogged to the start. Cool, overcast and no wind so perfect running conditions. Jogged another 3kms on the course to warmup. Got back to the start with about 15 mins to go. A decent crowd assembling over 100 people but all looked very non serious. Last week was their first Parkrun here and there were 250 runners but kids saturday sports was back on today as well as the Rotorua marathon which is only 1 hour away.

I ripped off my shirt before the start so I could just run in my singlet. Had my Nike Zoom Streak 4 shoes on, light and bouncy. Put myself at the front of the start and off we go.

KM1  3.38

Mostly on boardwalk quite bouncy with a plastic chequered grill mounted all over it. Another guy went out fast and pulled about 100m lead on me currently 2nd. He was wearing a Ford logo polo shirt with baggy grey shorts. He was skinny but just didnt seem dressed like a serious runner. Always hard to gauge effort/pace in the first km but I ran 3.38 which was perfect. At the 1km mark a loose dog ran out and jumped up and took a nip at me but no damage done 

KM2 3.46

Onto gravel track now not a bad surface but a bit rutty here and there. Not as groomed as I would have liked. The guy in front was slowly coming back to me and I passed him just past the 2km mark. Pace slipped out to 3.46 here and I was a little concerned.

KM3 3.41

Round a 180 degree turnaround and head for home. All gravel track. Passing all the others getting some support and dodging some who didnt hear the keep left rule at the briefing ! Couldnt hear the other guy behind me but I never once looked back.

KM4 3.42

Just trying to consolidate my pace and hold together for that final km. All gravel track once again.

KM5 3.45

Hurting a bit but managed to hold on to a 3.45/km pace. Onto the boardwalk again which felt way better than the gravel. Over the finish and didnt die 

Watch beeped perfectly just on the line so a legit Strava 5km for once. Time at 18.33 for 5.01km on my Strava feed.

Happy with that and a nice benchmark and my first 50 age group race done.

watsonc123

Piwi - nice work. 18:33 for a 50 year old is very good.  It is 10s better than my PR.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - great job and really consistent pacing, well done.  The gravel would've slowed you up a little bit too so definitely there is the potential to roll that time!  Conditions were really nice here this morning for running with no wind and relatively cool temps and sounds like you had the same.  Good to see there was a decent crowd there and it's always nice getting a bit of support from the other runners after the turnaround.  Am I right in saying you got first place overall as well??

Flavio - good luck for the half tomorrow!!!  Yes my coach is a Kiwi (actually Austrian originally but married to a Kiwi guy) - met her via my osteopath.

Rune - good luck for the drills!!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - great work! I didn’t realize the course wasn’t on pavement, so that makes it even more impressive. What a way to start your running in your 50’s with a first overall and an 18:33. I see even more great stuff coming later this year for you!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)