Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Therefore I conclude Piwi was not in the pain cave.

Exhibit A - He told the photographer  he was faking not being in pain.

Someone in a pain cave cannot emit sounds other than grunts.

It is possible however that Piwi thought he said that, but in reality what he said was *grunt *grunt *grunt.

We'll need video evidence to confirm, or at least testimony from the photographer.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Dwave - Fancy seeing you here! Setting up a Parkrun is something I really should look in to. That would be a really good thing for the area.

Flavio - What if I end up daydreaming on most of my daily easy runs? Does that qualify me for the pain cave?

Being a sail - This really came in to play today. ~30mph sustained winds this morning, though thankfully it was crossing most of my route. Felt like I was crawling on the (net downhill) first mile and like I was being shoved up hill when finally turning with the wind.

ETA: Absolute dumpster fire of a run this morning. Hitting the treadmill (in the garage) in the middle of the day (~80*) took more out of me than I figured.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - My pain caves involve intense nausea where I consider whether I should just pull over to the side of the road and vomit to get it over with. I have to take these anti-nausea pills during every single race I run to calm my stomach down for the last couple of miles when things get bad, but it still doesn't completely end the horrific feeling. If I didn't take those pills, I think I would vomit in almost 100% of the races I run. Also, there is a zero percent chance I could talk to someone, especially in a 5K. Marathons, sure, but not 5K.

Also, your fatigue definitely expected with a half. I've run one in a year now, but after my last one, I was still feeling the effects a week later even though my muscle soreness had completely gone away. Usually takes me a good while to recover if I gave it my all. Hopefully you can get a sub 40 10k, that would be crazy good for you to do that after coming off a sub 90 half.

Keen - I've had to do a few long runs in heavy wind lately, and I realized that it is so mentally draining. I have absolutely no idea how anyone ran Boston. 14 miles of wind made me so cranky, can't imagine 26 of it with rain and cold. I find headwinds to be the most difficult thing to run in, above cold and humidity, both of which I've learned to deal with.

Weight - 117 lbs is absurd at 5'8. I will say this though: weight plays an incredibly important role in times that I don't think I appreciated until recently. Obviously, fat guy = slow guy, but even at our thin weights, 5 lbs can make a huge difference. According to my spreadsheet, losing just 6 pounds would cut off a solid THREE minutes from my half marathon time. Three minutes would require months of training for me, why don't I just stop drinking and eating crap food and BAM! New PR! Ugh.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Quick check-in from Panama her . It's hot and humid and it shows on my paces and HR. A run at what's supposed to be easy pace got my HR over 160 a couple of days ago. A fair amount of drinking in the evenings doesn't help either 

Glad you like the pictures Mark, I figured it would be fun to get some footage of the scenery. Got stuck in a thunderstorm yesterday halfway through my run and a couple of miles away from the hotel at the end of the path I've been running on along the waterfront. Went under a freeway of some sorts for cover with a whole bunch of locals and stood there for a while hoping the rain would stop. When a couple of guys started looking at me more than I liked I decided it was time to just start running again, even if it was still raining pretty hard. My shoes are still wet.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Rune running from danger, i like it  Keep the Strava photos coming.

Flavio the belly fat is always the hardest to get rid of for us males. I get thinner round my face and ribs but theres alway those " love handles " left. My 2 beers per day is my main vice. Hope those trashed legs recover soon. Normally takes me about 4 days after a half.

I was definitely near full effort in that photo but when theres nobody else to race against it is harder to push to that next level.

Its an interesting topic, how deep in the hurtbox are you willing to go. Its possible as i get older Im not willing to hurt as much ? The guy who collapsed at the Commonwealth Games Marathon was been discussed by the commentators after the incident and they said a runner never really recovers from that and it keeps them from going deep into the paincave again.

Ive been close to vommiting after a race but never done so. That sounds nasty Jmac and its good you can control it with those pills.

We all have a healthy weight while running and it is what it is. Dont push below that !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The guy who collapsed at the Commonwealth Games Marathon was been discussed by the commentators after the incident and they said a runner never really recovers from that and it keeps them from going deep into the paincave again.

Yeah I think Heat Stroke is something you should never screw around with. It's hard in the moment to stop, but something I would always keep in mind if I was running a marathon in 70+ weather (guaranteed Boston 2019).

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

watsonc123

Caster Semanya at the end of races often looks like she has just decided to jog.  In reality the pain, muscle fatigue etc. is happening big time, she just does not look like it is.

Flavio is really quick for 17% fat.

I remember on RWOL Roadkill, a mid volume guy (40-65 miles per week) who was quite quick (1:16 half / 2:39 full) stating that he believed big volume benefits are biggest for those which caused weight loss.  But people like himself which stayed very light, big volume had less of a benefit.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The guy who collapsed at the Commonwealth Games Marathon was been discussed by the commentators after the incident and they said a runner never really recovers from that and it keeps them from going deep into the paincave again.

Ive been close to vommiting after a race but never done so.

I used to tolerate heat and humidity very well.  Then, as a new runner, I pushed too hard in an 8K and collapsed just after the 4 mile mark.

It took me about 2 weeks to feel OK after that.  And I discovered that my body just didn't tolerate heat well after that.

That was 10 years ago.  Over the years, I think my heat/humidty tolerance has gradually improved, but still not what I remember from before.

I believe that the body has shut off mechanisms to protect us from ourselves, and once you really shock the body, those shut off mechanisms get much more trigger happy.  As for whether it's mental or physical?  I think that's a false dichotomy.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Darkwave thats interesting. Luckily we don't get many hot races over here.

Watson Semenya is only running 800m though.

I dont know my body fat %. Is there a way to calculate accurately or do i just grab my flab round my stomach and estimate it 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - LOL, how can you draw such perfect rectangles while day dreaming.

Jmac - Oh, I’m glad that’s one symptom I don’t have, my stomach is ostrich level of hardness I reckon.

yeah, 1 minute per kg or 2lbs. I think exactly the same, I could be a 1h20 guy perhaps.

My half had me at 4:13 pace, which would be 4:01 pace for the 10k. We'll see. Weather will theoretically be better but now on trashed legs.

Rune - LOL, as you can see the developing world has new levels to every day situations.

Watson - that makes sense, i always shed 3-4kg when I can string 3-4 months of training and I’m sure that makes me really fast.

Some people have more control of the face muscles and are therefore better able to put up a poker face.

Piwi - I do have a feeling I’m no longer able to push as hard, I never had ideas of DNFing races before, now it’s a constant at every race, that feeling of bagging it and just jog to the finish line.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

watsonc123

Piwi - that's rather harsh on Caster, given she was born like that.  Unlike our now retired weightlifter Hubbard...

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Watson fair enough I will edit that to not cause offence. There is a distinct advantage though for athletes with extremely high testosterone levels otherwise we wouldnt have separate mens and ladies events.

I like the paincave grunt.  The photographer probably was thinking should I call a doctor or a dog catcher Smile

I was listening to the audiobook called Endure. The authors say that our body has a safety measure that lets us hit the wall during the race to prevent overheating. But that this can usually be overcome (dont know yet how since I havent been running and hence havent been listening). But they showed evidence in thousands of marathon split times that had faster finishing miles.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

jaimegu

Hi, guys,

Let me introduce myself,  my name is Jaime, and I'm currently in Sweden.

I used to run sub90 HM but now,  the only sub90 are my strolls as if longer it might hurt

I have been trying to get back to it since Boston but my knee turns sensitive walking or running, especially if there is D+.

Pain is under the knee cap, mostly on the lower side, and probably medial.  But I have to mention my vastus medialis (inner quad) turns very tender the next day after a run.

I won't try anything this weekend, but the next one I'll try to start by short and slow

Only one race in the future: Pacing duties in a 100mile ultra (it will be around 38Kms for me with lots of D+/D-) I think it's in early October.

Congrats on your races guys,  I have checked them on Strava.

Good luck Jmac

Mick, slow ramp up in June, nothing fast, nothing really long., and you get to really train in July-Sept.  That's 11 weeks... As I'm experiencing myself: Do not rush else, you won't train for your race

Weight: 1.80m (5'11") and 75Kg (165lb?) here

JamesD

JamesD

Thanks for the comments on warmups/cooldowns.  Another pretty good week for me - did another 12-mile long(ish) run and upped my tempo to 3 miles, though the speed was only the same as a year ago, not 6 months ago.  Knee isn't giving me much trouble, but my legs were tired on my easy days, and this is my 5th week in a row over 35 miles, so I think I'll take a down week.

Sun - off

Mon - 12.4 miles moderate @ 8:09/mile, temp ~70s/21-26

Tues - 6.2 very slow & easy

Weds - 24 minutes swimming

Thurs - 6.5 including 3 @ 6:42/mile, temp mid-80s/29

Fri - 6.2 slow & easy

Sat - 6.2 easy

Total - 37.5 miles

YTD Average - 31 mpw

Height/Weight - 6'0", 130 lbs (up from 125-126 last fall)

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32