Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

*ducks in to lurk for a bit on thread*

Ouch no way im putting chillies on my vagina 

*turns around and leaves thread*

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Guys, don’t worry about propolis. MickJogger was doing 2 google searches at the same time (propolis and also a certain medical condition) and he’s got his browser tabs confused 

jmac - got me haha! There was a day where I was barely walking. I’m thinking maybe lack of preventive work + all the walking flared up the fasciitis

MJ - to get the hips moving there’s a local drink called Catuaba. That’s what a friend told me.

Marco - thanks for defending my honor haha, yeah propolis is awesome Smile

Piwi - you must have elephant memory to remember what to say. Either that or I have gold fish memory Big grin

Mark - I can see you were kicking ass in races while I was on vacation. Great job as usual.

Matt - welcome aboard, it’s good to have another speedster on the group.

The best thing you can do for the terminology is to buy the kindle book from Daniels, it’s $13 on amazon.

Since you’re at also pick up Advanced marathoning from Pfitzinger and the one from the hansons brothers.

These 3 should give you a good idea about all the concepts and also introduce you to the different kinds of training schools out there.

For instance I could never use Daniels training plans, I’d get injured on the 2nd day and it frequently uses back to back intervals and stuff like that.

Pfitz also is not a good fit for me as it has a 39K long run in the marathon plan.

Hansons seems a perfect fit for where I’m at right now.

For each person one of these or a slight variation of them will be best.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

@matt - Sorry if you have already said, but do you have a coach? I'd imagine someone as fast as you could greatly benefit from one.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

matthewfschwartz

Flavio- I do not have a coach, I just recently graduated high school, so 1. I never needed one in years past because our school had a cross country/track coach and 2. I do not have the financial capability to be able to hire coaching, and I do not expect my parents to pay for that.

Maybe down the line, I could find a coach to get me to the next level, but currently, I am coaching myself. I am open to suggestions for the future.

PR's: 800 - 2:01.9, 1600 - 4:34.4, 3 mile - 16:00, Full Marathon - 2:54:49

Goals: Break 1:20 HM, Break 2:45 FM, Break 34:00 10k, Break 16:00 5k

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

runethechamp

Ouch no way im putting chillies on my vagina 

Is there something you haven't told us Piwi?

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - I don't do the book of faces thing, so that's out. I am really close to OKC, a 20-25 minute drive is all it takes to get there, but any more than once a week and that really starts to cut in to sleep/running/family time. I'm a pretty quiet/introverted guy though, and running solo the vast majority of the time suits me. A change every once-in-a-while is good, though.

Matt - What race distances are you looking for?
              As for Daniels, the R paced workouts are typically around mile pace and are there to improve speed/economy. Because of this the rest periods aren't specific times - take as long as you need to recover in order to finish the workout.
              I workouts are VO2Max stuff, typically about 4k-5k pace. These are there to improve aerobic power. Recovery times are fixed here in order to keep recoveries short enough that you get a good amount of time at VO2Max in order to prompt improvement.
              T work is the classic lactate threshold/1 hour race pace stuff to improve endurance.

M pace seems mostly there in order to help with the mental side of things, though when done for long enough can turn into a threshold workout itself. Daniels' M pace as an actual race pace seems pretty "optimistic" for most people, and the consensus around here seems to be that it would take a lot of time at 70+mpw or be really on the endurance side of the endurance/speed balance before it would like up to real life. All of the other paces seem to me to be spot on, though.
              https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/ - This will let you know what your training paces should be according to Daniels. Just be sure to use a race or time trial that represents your current fitness if you use the calculator.
              Personally, I find the I(nterval) work the hardest while I LOVE T(hreshold) work but YMMV.

DWave - Lol!

I tried out my new racing flats this morning. I almost went for a short, easy run instead since my right calf has felt a little tight lately. WU/CD I did in my everyday Escalantes, and just used the flats for the speed work. Impressions:
              WOW, those things practically disappear compared to my everyday shoes. They were comfy, but certainly not cushy, and I could really feel the track surface better than before. Very breathable, too. I'll definitely be wearing them for a 5k next week.

Surprisingly, my calf actually felt better while wearing the flats than it did before I put them on. Maybe the lesser weight helped?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Keen racing flats are so nice for fast workouts and races. The pink colour is the same as alot of the shoes I buy....on special !

I hear you on facebook and been introverted. Im probably a bit the opposite although I ran completely solo for about 5 years. Now when running with others I talk the whole way 😀

Darkwave oops sorry 😀

Rune I just couldnt resist....

Flavio bakeries and pastries always come to mind when I think of you 😀

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

The pink colour is the same as alot of the shoes I buy 

Does it match the chilli's? 

Keen - I am definitely a solo runner too for the most part.  It's nice to run with others sometimes e.g. I've been for a couple runs with Piwi when he's been up in Auckland.  But, mostly I just like to do my own thing.  As well as its many other benefits, running is a great way to just clear the mind and relax!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Good to have you back Flavio: I made a mental note on Hansons and Catuaba (not sure its legal here). I hope it has nothing to do with genitals and chilli peppers 😂

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I am definitely a solo runner too for the most part.  It's nice to run with others sometimes e.g. I've been for a couple runs with Piwi when he's been up in Auckland.  But, mostly I just like to do my own thing.  As well as its many other benefits, running is a great way to just clear the mind and relax!

How do those runs work? Do you slow down, does he speed up, or both? I think I could use you as a pacer this Sunday for a marathon pace run, it's equal to your easy run pace 

Keen - It's funny how someone can love certain paces. I have such a strong love/hate with T pace. I look forward to the workouts so much, but when you're on the third interval of a 3x2 mile T session, I'm in so much misery and wonder why I do this to myself. I never feel that way during I pace work, it just sucks for like 1 minute at a time, not an agonizing 5+ minutes.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Matt - got it. The e-books should be within reach. The authors do a better job explaining all the concepts than anyone here could.

DWave - we do have a talent for scaring the ladies away LOL

Piwi - I’m glad I bring you some good memories. I’ve been promising to cut back on the sweets for 5 years now, I should just stop LOL

MJ - thanks, I had a good laugh on your WebMd article 

On the World Cup, Italy didn't qualify and Germany is out. I reckon I'll have to cheer for Brazil now 

matthewfschwartz

Keen- Anything from 5k to marathon, I'll probably be racing a little of everything over the next four years to test the waters a bit. I'm mostly looking for something that isn't just your average local 5k fun run though, something that brings competition. Thank you for the explanation of the Daniels terminology, that makes more sense now. R pace is for anaerobic benefit while I and T are for aerobic benefit. We did mostly T efforts in high school, a bit of R type intervals, but almost no I type workouts, so the I is completely new to me.

Flavio- USA didn't make the World Cup, so I'm rooting for England this time around (my best childhood friend was from England and a big soccer fan)

PR's: 800 - 2:01.9, 1600 - 4:34.4, 3 mile - 16:00, Full Marathon - 2:54:49

Goals: Break 1:20 HM, Break 2:45 FM, Break 34:00 10k, Break 16:00 5k

Upcoming Races: 

Strava link

Marky_Mark_17

On the World Cup, Italy didn't qualify and Germany is out. I reckon I'll have to cheer for Brazil now 

It is pretty crazy to have a world cup with:

• No Netherlands (didn't qualify)
                            • No USA (didn't qualify)
                            • No Italy (didn't qualify)
                            • No Germany (out at pool stage)

There was almost no Argentina too since they only just scraped through the pool stages.  But overall I think it's good, I'm not a huge football follower but it's exciting to see some different teams there.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Ive only seen bit and pieces of the worldcup so far but its high drama. Soccer players never make a great impression when they pretend to be injured after a slo mo replay shows nothing and Maradonna has definitely had a few too many drugs 😀

Jmac obviously I slow down for Mark !😀

I usually jog at about 9 min mile to meet him and then try for 6.48 mile pace haha. Luckily last time we ran he was coming back from injury....

Mark/mick please dont get me started on the chillies again 😀

Matt yes it would be nice to see England go all the way. Im english and my mother is german but Im a kiwi now.

Flavio while you were away I was lazy too with 30 and 50 km weeks 😀

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

runethechamp

Keen- Anything from 5k to marathon, I'll probably be racing a little of everything over the next four years to test the waters a bit. I'm mostly looking for something that isn't just your average local 5k fun run though, something that brings competition. Thank you for the explanation of the Daniels terminology, that makes more sense now. R pace is for anaerobic benefit while I and T are for aerobic benefit. We did mostly T efforts in high school, a bit of R type intervals, but almost no I type workouts, so the I is completely new to me.

Keen explained this well, but I don't think R-pace is for anaerobic benefit as you never push hard on tired legs. The whole idea is to get some reps at mile pace, but on relatively fresh legs all the time to help on developing leg strength and running economy. If you look up some of Jack Daniels' seminars on youtube he explains it really well there.

I run on my own most of the time as well and just like Mark I enjoy the time to clear my mind. Every now and then I meet up with a running buddy for the long easy runs to make the time go by faster.

Mmm, pastries...

JMac - I've always liked the tempo runs, but these new combinations are new to me. Let's see if I still like them after my next tempo workout.

I watch as much of the World Cup as I can, and we always have a game on at lunch at the office as the second half of the late games coincides with the lunch break. I've been an Argentina fan since 1978 when my uncle gave me an Argentina t-shirt (although I have no memory from that World Cup), so I was happy to see them make into the next round. I still have very vivid memories of 1982 and 86 though. But I can't stand the fake crying and whining and diving, so I'm not a big fan of Ronaldo or Neymar.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it