Running in China (Read 707 times)

Anyone out there with experience running in China -- traveling or living there? I'll be in Guangzhou for 5 months this fall. Bright spot -- I found a hasher group there already.
      Yikes! I'll have to look the place up. Hey, do you have to drink beer to be a hasher? Will you leave before the Scandia Run? Cool Woods Lady
        I would say the risks of hashing in China include getting shot. Stay away from military sites.

Giant Flaming Dork

I found it very difficult to run there, mostly because of the air. It felt like about 1.5x effort. I was in a city and it was difficult to find a path that I felt comfortable running. Expect to get strange looks and people asking why you run. The food is awesome, and very different from what you normally associate with "Chinese". Very fresh. Check out the fresh food stands. Don't be afraid of the "1000 year tofu"... 再见!

http://xkcd.com/621/

Yes, I'm not worried about the food. Sounds like getting 40 mpw in will be a struggle, however. Sad Ma, if I run with the hasher group, you probably won't hear about it. How did you know they are synonymous with beer? You are a fast learner! (fyi to others, Woods Lady is my mom!) Doug B -- OK (writing note to self) "stay away from military sites."
            xor

How do you say 'on on' in Mandarin? (or is that the wrong region for Mandarin?)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Guangzhou language = Guangzhou-hua = Cantonese

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Ok then. Don't say on-on in Mandarin.

I will be speaking Mandarin....I've been told that anyone under 65 can speak Mandarin in Guangzhou. I don't have the time to train up in Cantonese! and I think it translates to...."on-on", with a downward tone.
                    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I was there in 2002. One thing I could never forget is how dirty the entire city was. I'm sure it's not any cleaner now. There were no blue skies. Just a constant haze from smog and construction dust. I'm not sure where you can run. There were people everywhere. The traffic was horendous. It's weird to see VW Jettas as taxis. On the bright side, the Chinese food was great! The exchange rate made everything dirt cheap. Life was good.
                      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I will be speaking Mandarin....I've been told that anyone under 65 can speak Mandarin in Guangzhou. I don't have the time to train up in Cantonese! and I think it translates to...."on-on", with a downward tone.
                        Everyone knows Mandarin. There are many migrate workers and they do not speak much Cantonese. However, since you'll be in Guangzhou, they'll be speaking Cantonese (Guangdong hua). The impression that I got was they rather speak English rather than Mandarin, and they don't speak English. You'll be fine with Mandarin because they love Westerners.
                        xor

Now I'm lost.

redleaf

Now I'm lost.
                            me too - it was fun to read but it's all greek to me.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Now I'm lost.
                              Now this reminds me of one of your ultra trail reports... Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I was there in 2002. One thing I could never forget is how dirty the entire city was. I'm sure it's not any cleaner now. There were no blue skies. Just a constant haze from smog and construction dust. I'm not sure where you can run. There were people everywhere. The traffic was horendous. It's weird to see VW Jettas as taxis. On the bright side, the Chinese food was great! The exchange rate made everything dirt cheap. Life was good.
                                in several countries in Africa, they use Mercedes as taxis (and often as "junk cars"). that was definitely a bit weird (and ironic).