Define 'Bandit' (Read 1314 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

WAIT. You mean that sometimes the way in which I take a post is sometimes different from the intent and attitude of the poster???
    Those words seem awfully short, and they hardly have any syllables -- I thought you were a renowned expert in multisyllabic discourse?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... I think there's a good argument to be made that my original question re: deliberately running much of the course at the time of the race is clearly in on the side of being a bandit because of knowledge and intent. ...
      Actually, what is "banditing" ? Where is that Jeff guy to clarify the definitional question for me (can I call this an ontological question? -- That word just sounds nifty -- ontological -- if I don't make my time goal for my race this weekend, one of my excuses is going to be that I think I have an ontological issue in my legs.) Is it knowingly running a course at the same time as the racers? I do that not infrequently when I'm working the race, actually -- run out to run in with someone I know, to cheer them on & encourage them. Or do I have therefore an implicit sanction which magically removes me from banditry. What if I am merely a spectator -- I also do this same thing then -- am I then banditing? Or do I have to run at least some fixed percentage of the course to be a bandit? What if I don't run the course at all, but run down the sidewalk next to it -- I've done that (with a camera) -- does that exclude me from banditry?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Is it still banditing if the race organizers offer bandit bibs?
        Yeah, suuuuure they do. Be very careful. The "bandit bibs" probably have tasty monkey treats smeared over them, and you'll probably be lifted up and carried away by feral flying monkeys not long after you foolishly accept these trojan bibs

xor

At least the ink on a trojan bib won't run in the rain.

Imminent Catastrophe

Actually, what is "banditing" ?
            Oh, for goodness sake, you know if you're a bandit. It's not that difficult. If it's a route you wouldn't run otherwise, and everyone else but you has numbered bib, then you're a bandit. If it's a route you would have run anyway and it doesn't require any extraordinary security procedures (like Central Park on a typical weekend) then you're OK.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh, for goodness sake, you know if you're a bandit. It's not that difficult. If it's a route you wouldn't run otherwise, and everyone else but you has numbered bib, then you're a bandit. ...
              So according to you, I'm a bandit even when I'm race director, and other people are successfully managing the timing, and I go out to sprint in & encourage someone as they finish. In that case of "banditing" I definitely say there is nothing gray or shady or morally reprehensible at all. (I hope it is obvious that I pick a fairly exaggerated but allegedly logical interpretation of your definition, to illuminate my view that it is not at all as clear as some have claimed -- and I suspect that you may not have really intended or realized or agree that your definition would cover this particular example.) See, we could have some slightly interesting and serious discussion here, if you idiots would refrain from dumb sarcastic jokes about osterducken burgers and flying monkeys; what is wrong with you people.

Imminent Catastrophe

So according to you, I'm a bandit even when I'm race director, and other people are successfully managing the timing, and I go out to sprint in & encourage someone as they finish. In that case of "banditing" I definitely say there is nothing gray or shady or morally reprehensible at all. (I hope it is obvious that I pick a fairly exaggerated but allegedly logical interpretation of your definition, to illuminate my view that it is not at all as clear as some have claimed -- and I suspect that you may not have really intended or realized or agree that your definition would cover this particular example.) See, we could have some slightly interesting and serious discussion here, if you idiots would refrain from dumb sarcastic jokes about osterducken burgers and flying monkeys; what is wrong with you people.
                I was appealing to common sense. That's all. And I'm not an idiot.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was appealing to common sense. That's all. And I'm not an idiot.
                  Did you make that stupid joke about the osterducken burger -- or about flying monkeys carrying people off? If you did, I apologize -- sincerely.

xor

And this is why bandit threads suck.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh I don't know -- I'm entertained that I managed to offend someone by insulting myself Smile

To the lay public, Potter Stewart may be best known for a quotation, or a fragment thereof, from his opinion in the obscenitybanditry case of Mamaofthree v. Runningahead.com (2009). Stewart wrote in his short concurrence that "hard-core banditry" was hard to define, but that "I know it when I see it."
                        xor

the lay public
                          Reporting for duty, sir. Red five, standing by. ("red five" is funny in this context, who knew)

Christ. That took me about 4 minutes of searching to find that reference. And a related theme even popped up on Lost tonight. But yes, it is funny.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Christ. That took me about 4 minutes of searching to find that reference. And a related theme even popped up on Lost tonight. But yes, it is funny.
                              It took me about 4 seconds, if even, to remember the reference. The brain is faster than the google.
                                srlopez should change his avatar to Dennis Miller. I never got his obscure references when he was doing Monday Night Football, but maybe its just me as I come from the shores of the unwashed masses.