2016 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 667 times)

I look my best blurry!

You know the forecast already? Do share.

I joke. Statistically you may have a point but that's not always the case. Wasn't last year. It was crappy all day.

Forecast?  LOL!!!  I thought last years race was crappy until I ran the Ocean Drive Marathon yesterday.  Holy Headwinds!!!  Straight into 20mph sustained headwinds with 30+ gusts.  Funny thing is I signed up at the expo on Sat knowing the forecast which included the possibility of snow, sleet, rain mix.   I figured it would toughen me up!

DukeDB

For table - goal is 3:30, training plan is BAA's, Wave 2 Corral 1.  Thanks.

jfa

3/4

Mostly harmless

Am I the only one having bad dreams about the Newton hills?

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

jfree

On race day the hills are manageable

Julia1971

Now that I've run them 3 times, they don't haunt me as much as they used to.  I respect them but want to run them better each time...  If it makes it any better, the crowd support in Newton is phenomenal.  They'll help you get through it.  Smile

Dreamn

The downhill at mile 21 looks far scarier than the hills based on the video that I watched lol.

jfa

I respect them, but I am not afraid. I have been thinking of them (and training for them ) since December.

xhristopher

The downhill at mile 21 looks far scarier than the hills based on the video that I watched lol.

It's not that bad unless your legs are already trashed at that point. If that's the case it's just depressing. The real hill you need to watch for is at mile 16 into Newton Lower Falls. Don't trash your legs on it.

bhearn

It's not that bad unless your legs are already trashed at that point. If that's the case it's just depressing. The real hill you need to watch for is at mile 16 into Newton Lower Falls. Don't trash your legs on it.

The typical Boston runner's quads are trashed at mile 21. They don't discover it until that point. If you've been smart, this is where you start flying by everybody.

Personally I think the descent into Newton Lower Falls is a place to run fast. It's the first half of the course you want to take easy.

mikeymike

I think mile 16 should be fast but feel like you're walking.

Last year it was my fastest mile up to that point, but I was holding back quite a bit and basically passed nobody on that mile. Miles 22-25 were all faster than 16 for me (because I had held back so much early on.)

Runners run

Genuine 2/2

Ready, go.

I look my best blurry!

No big deal if you train for them and stay within your training.  Now watch me crash and burn acting like I know it all and for saying that.  LOL

Mostly harmless

Taper: The brief period when the runner transitions from obsessing over any and all missed workouts to obsessing over the weather.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

jfa

You got that right Scott.

And since the forecast above looks perfect for race day, you know it will be 35* and raining with

n'oreaster blowing at us.

#reversejinx