2016 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 667 times)

HermosaBoy

Run well everyone -- will be watching on the interwebs...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Christirei

Wow, Baysa....just wow

Julia1971

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!!

'Member what I said in that other thread about "It's just wind".  I take that back.    Warm at the start, then warm and windy, then cold and windy.  I turned in my second slowest marathon time - 3:41:something.  I just didn't have "it" today.

Hope others fared better!  Off to my annual champagne toast in Southie!

Me either.   Maybe heat, maybe wind...result was 3:16:46, 17 minutes off pr and 25 off target.

'Member what I said in that other thread about "It's just wind".  I take that back.    Warm at the start, then warm and windy, then cold and windy.  I turned in my second slowest marathon time - 3:41:something.  I just didn't have "it" today.

I had the original goal of ~2:50 but quickly scrapped that due to the weather and just went for NYC qualifier time.. Congrats to all finishers today!

runnershawn

4:01:48  Wayyy off goal, but need to remember we finished the Boston Marathon.  Have fun in Southie!!

Cyberic

I don't know if it was the heat, or if the hills would have broken me anyways, but after the second hill I was not the same runner. 3:18 and I was going for 3:10.

jfa

I'm joining the group that struggled today. 3:50 something. A good 20 minutes off goal time. The winner was 7 minutes from his best time.If it was a fall marathon, we would be used to the heat.

Anyway, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Still an awesome experience. Those folks up there know how to put on a marathon!

Dreamn

Add me to the list who got their butt kicked my the heat. 3:44 for me. Way off my qualifying and goal time. I could not stay hydrated. Despite taking water or Gatorade at every aid station, and drinking water 16oz bottles of water given to me by friends, I was just so dehydrated.

It was my first Boston and I was expecting the downhills to be more significant. I only noticed 2 hills, one at 16 and heartbreak because so much was made of it. I loved the crowds and the entire race experience. Hopefully I'll be back one day. A fall marathon is highly unlikely for me.

onefatchick

Congratulations to all of you that put in all the training, qualified, put in even more training, and then ran yesterday under less than ideal conditions--- that in itself is no easy feat!  You guys and gals are awesome!!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm joining the group that struggled today. 3:50 something. A good 20 minutes off goal time. The winner was 7 minutes from his best time.If it was a fall marathon, we would be used to the heat.

Anyway, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Still an awesome experience. Those folks up there know how to put on a marathon!

I like your last line - so true!   Marathons are such a crapshoot, and this was evidently a tough one. Of the dozen or so RA runners I followed, only one (BadDawg, an amazing and awesome runner) made his goal.  Hope the journey and the Boston experience made up for the crappy weather for all of you!  Congratulations on your accomplishments!

I look my best blurry!

Holy crap I am 50 so didn't put any pressure on myself to pull something fabulous out of a hat.  After the first few miles I didn't even look at my watch and went on feel.  I enjoyed the sunshine, the breeze was refreshing and I smiled and high fived everyone with a hand out.  I really enjoyed the wet paper towels too.  I got a cute little rubber band bracelet from a preteen girl and will always remember her smile and struggle to put it on my arm.  Even though it was not my fastest, by far, I think I felt a similar euphoria to the day of my PR.  It was great to see some of my favorite RAers.  I missed some of them too but they were in my thoughts.  Boston is always emotional and always worth doing again.  I hope to be back next year!

dallison

registered pw

Congrats to all of the finishers. i was watching it at home and was looking at the weather and thought there may have been issues.

We had a few runners in our group that were dehydrated and their times were slower as well.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

If you want the play-by-play of my experience, here is my race report. It was a tough one for me, but I consider it a huge victory to have qualified for and run the Boston marathon- staying strong throughout.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Holy crap I am 50 so didn't put any pressure on myself to pull something fabulous out of a hat.  After the first few miles I didn't even look at my watch and went on feel.  I enjoyed the sunshine, the breeze was refreshing and I smiled and high fived everyone with a hand out.  I really enjoyed the wet paper towels too.  I got a cute little rubber band bracelet from a preteen girl and will always remember her smile and struggle to put it on my arm.  Even though it was not my fastest, by far, I think I felt a similar euphoria to the day of my PR.  It was great to see some of my favorite RAers.  I missed some of them too but they were in my thoughts.  Boston is always emotional and always worth doing again.  I hope to be back next year!

Congrats wannabe!  I guess you accomplished your goal as well! Smile