2016 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 667 times)

LRB

At 3:55.56, I finished with a 5 minute personal worst and 40 minutes off my PR. It was an ugly bitch but I got it done, and now I don't ever have to run another marathon for as long as I live!

jfa

I consider it a huge victory to have qualified for and run the Boston marathon- staying strong throughout.

Well said and well done.

DukeDB

24 minutes off goal, only a few seconds faster than my first and slowest marathon.  I can't blame training, course, or weather, I've hit the wall hard in my last 3 and turned in awful times - I have a lot to figure out.  But I got to hug my family across from the Newton Firehouse during the BOSTON MARATHON and then managed to struggle in and fetch a finisher medal for the boys.  If I re-qualify, I will return again.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If you want the play-by-play of my experience, here is my race report. It was a tough one for me, but I consider it a huge victory to have qualified for and run the Boston marathon- staying strong throughout.

I enjoyed your race report. It really captures a lot of the same things I went through two years ago: the overconfidence at the beginning, the grind through the hills, the painful finish, and the dizziness and the allure of the wheelchair at the end. I didn't take the wheelchair; I just drank the protein drink and lay down on the grass for 20 minutes.  Anyway, congrats on a great accomplishment!

Cyberic

If you want the play-by-play of my experience, here is my race report. It was a tough one for me, but I consider it a huge victory to have qualified for and run the Boston marathon- staying strong throughout.

Loved the RR. Thanks for sharing.

bhearn

I'm still struggling to accept the fact that for the first time since I started running in 2004, I wasn't there. It was surreal to watch it on tv.

Most of all I hated not seeing everyone. Congrats to those that toughed it out in the heat.

Julia1971

My race report is up.  I'm sad to say the writing is even sloppier than usual because I rushed to get it up quickly.

Hope everyone is recovering well!

Julia1971

I think I remember seeing you at the PRR "Meet Meb" event for Cherry Blossom.  And then I saw you somewhere else this weekend.  I was going to say, "Hi" but then I remembered I didn't really know you.  LOL!!!

Nice race report!  Our races sound pretty similar.  Smile

flauta

I am just catching up on this thread and it is pretty amazing to see so many have the same experience I did.  At 3:39:44, 15 minutes off my goal time and only 14 seconds better than my Boston qualifying time for next year (which probably will not be enough to get in).  Like many others, dehydration from the start, some heat, wind, leg cramps the last 5 miles, and I don't know what did it to me.  But ultimately I felt almost as much satisfaction pushing through a pretty tough day.  And like everyone else, I had a great time and feel lucky to have run it again.

Congrats to everyone.

ophiolie

Reading this thread, I'm finally turning from disappointed with my time to being o.k. with being 10 minutes off of my goal pace.

This was my first Boston, 50th marathon (+) race and first marathon I went into tapered in quite some time (I like b2b races and using marathons as ultra training). I thought I was on track for a good strong 3:25, but ended up with a 3:35. First half of the race went really well, hit the paces on my course adjusted pace band pretty much spot-on. Second half of the race, my right quad started cramping on the uphills, forcing me to slow a bit more than I typically have in the past.

Still, my 4th BQ in 2016, so I guess I can't complain too much...

Great racing y'all :-)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

I enjoyed your race report. It really captures a lot of the same things I went through two years ago: the overconfidence at the beginning, the grind through the hills, the painful finish, and the dizziness and the allure of the wheelchair at the end. I didn't take the wheelchair; I just drank the protein drink and lay down on the grass for 20 minutes.  Anyway, congrats on a great accomplishment!

Thanks for reading. I wouldn't really call it overconfidence-- I had trained really well, was in excellent shape, and you need to be confident to have any hope of success! I knew that there was a very real possibility that the heat would get me as it's done in the past, but at the same time, I didn't want it to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Part of the struggling when weather conditions are tough is knowing how to adjust, without mentally sabotaging yourself before you even start.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

I think I remember seeing you at the PRR "Meet Meb" event for Cherry Blossom.  And then I saw you somewhere else this weekend.  I was going to say, "Hi" but then I remembered I didn't really know you.  LOL!!!

Nice race report!  Our races sound pretty similar.  Smile

I just "officially" commented on your blog. I loved your report. The way you were describing it I expected your paces during the last 6 miles to be slower, but you really held on pretty good! Most people had a dreadfully extreme positive split, but you really didn't slow down all that much, so kudos to you! And yeah, next time we see each other in person, say hi! I go by Elizabeth in real life too. :-)

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Cyberic

My race report is up.  I'm sad to say the writing is even sloppier than usual because I rushed to get it up quickly.

Just read your report. Very good report, fun to read.

flauta

Just read it on too - a good read.  Congrats.

rmcj001

My experience was similar, maybe a bit more extreme. I was 40 minutes over my BQ time and ended up in the med tent as well. Took about an hour and an IV to get me going again. I started cramping pretty early in this race, but some how managed to get up Heartbreak Hill before I started walking. Managed only shuffle walk after that - my saddest marathon finish in over 20 years!  Nothing but kudos to the spectators and race people - they were AWESOME! Fortunately for me, I've already qualified for 2017..tho, not sure that's a good thing, yet... 

Congrats to all the finishers!

Ray