2016 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 667 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

Got a side cramp--such a stooooopid thing.   One thing I learned from decades of being a Red Sox fan is how to say, with feeling: "wait'll next year!"

Below signature is another view of Boston--not a race report, hope you enjoy it.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks for reading. I wouldn't really call it overconfidence-- I had trained really well, was in excellent shape, and you need to be confident to have any hope of success! I knew that there was a very real possibility that the heat would get me as it's done in the past, but at the same time, I didn't want it to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Part of the struggling when weather conditions are tough is knowing how to adjust, without mentally sabotaging yourself before you even start.

You're right.  "High expectations" would have been more accurate.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

My race sucked from the beginning, and fell apart after Heartbreak Hill.  Calves started cramping, had to run/walk from there to the finish.  Missed goal time by about 15 minutes (3:37 vs 3:22).  I blame insufficient training and not adjusting for the weather, but mostly insufficient training.

onefatchick

I enjoyed reading the race reports and must say I have even more admiration and respect for all the dedicated and determined runners here.  You guys and gals are amazing!

TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

My race report is up.

Nice report and I enjoyed your playlist I listened too and knew almost every song.

Good job.

mikeymike

I was pacing a friend who was going for sub 3, but it was clear by 10 miles in that it wasn't going to happen on that day. She dropped back and I just tried to limit the damage and finish in decent shape. By the second half I had given up all pretenses of racing and was just trying to enjoy the day--as much as you can enjoy running 26.2 miles in scorching heat with a 15 mph headwind. I got home in 3:07:32. A solid 10 minutes slower than last year, but suffered no ill effects so mission accomplished.

If I don't run another marathon before then, next year will be the first time my qualifying time is not faster than the men's open standard, a fact that makes me feel old and has compelled me to book a hotel room in Burlington, VT for memorial day weekend. I'm an idiot.

Runners run

RunnJoe

I might have you all beat. My time was a scorching 1:10. That is 1 minute and 10 seconds when I pulled my hamstring and was forced to stop. I could see the expression on the face of the guy next to me as it happened as if he was thinking "that's not good"! Although it took me a good 4 hours to reach the finish. Good news is I submitted an upgraded time for 2016 which is still good for 2017 so I'll be back.

LRB

What do you guys think of the shirt?  Love it or hate it?

It is unlike any event shirt I have ever seen. I'm not sure I will ever run in it!

Julia1971

It is unlike any event shirt I have ever seen. I'm not sure I will ever run in it!

(Clearly, I had an opinion since I asked.  )  I like the design - the diagonal stripes are pretty cool - but wasn't sure about the fabric.  I thought about running in it today (50 degrees) but at the last minute, switched to a lighter shirt.  It's a weird weight (and cut).  IMHO.

LRB

(Clearly, I had an opinion since I asked.  )  I like the design - the diagonal stripes are pretty cool - but wasn't sure about the fabric.  I thought about running in it today (50 degrees) but at the last minute, switched to a lighter shirt.  It's a weird weight (and cut).  IMHO.

The cut seems to fit me okay. The fabric would probably work best for me (as a stand alone running top) in 28 - 38 degrees. Any higher than that and I would likely go poof.

Cyberic

I like its look, it is the nicest looking race shirt I ever got, and was planning on running 4-5 miles with it today to check if I like the fabric.

xhristopher

I think it looks a little bizarre and uniform like. I kinda regret taking it from packaging as I'd have considered selling it in packing.  Dunno if I'll wear it. Six years running and still no jacket!

Race was a mixed bag. Physically I had a good day but needed better conditions to have run goal. After about mile 16 the headwind kept increasing so I decided to pace it in for a solid BQ and avoided any damage or risk if a crash.

3:07:30 for me. This was my 4th time at Boston between 3:07-3:09 yet my placing was much better this year despite a stronger field each year. That's a real testament to the difficulty of the day.

mikeymike

I ran in the shirt. It's a decent weight for running and fits me well, but it feels like I'm wearing a Sweedish National Soccer team jersey or something.

Runners run

Cyberic

it feels like I'm wearing a Sweedish National Soccer team jersey or something.

jfa

It's a little weird, but I'll wear the shirt.

This was my first Boston and I had high hopes. McMillan put me at 3:32 based on my half PR a month ago. I finished in 3:52. I had a very strong training cycle.

I was very disappointed at first ( 2 years of this day being on my mind), but feel better about it now.

I at least recognized (mile 10ish) that this day could end really bad if I'm not careful.

Dialed it back over the Newtons and had enough legs to take me down to Boston in good shape. Had some smiles and fun along the way.

Boston is not supposed to be easy. As a matter of fact, marathons are effing hard.