2022 Running Game *** Sign-ups Are Closed ** (Read 194 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yep, we changed it from a pace bunny to a static goal bc it really screwed runners who used IR.  It also gave a huge advantage to runners who were way ahead of goal late in the year because they could run big mileage on a low goal.

The annual goal is always AnnualGoal/52.142857. 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

CalBears

Yep, we changed it from a pace bunny to a static goal bc it really screwed runners who used IR.  It also gave a huge advantage to runners who were way ahead of goal late in the year because they could run big mileage on a low goal.

So, what is better for a Team advantage perspective - to set goal to 3000 and then, at the end to run only 2000 miles. Or... To set goal to 1000 and then at the end to run 1500?

Yeah, I know - it sounds like I wanna cheat, but I do not understand the mechanics of the game, who wins and why and that's why I am asking.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

So, what is better for a Team advantage perspective - to set goal to 3000 and then, at the end to run only 2000 miles. Or... To set goal to 1000 and then at the end to run 1500?

Well the second case is definitely better. But it's not ideal to be that much over, because once you hit your annual goal, you no longer get credit for hitting your weekly goal. Meaning, hurting the team's chances of winning the 6 points awarded for highest % of members hitting their weekly goal.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yeah, I know - it sounds like I wanna cheat, but I do not understand the mechanics of the game, who wins and why and that's why I am asking.

It depends? If you have a 3000 mile goal (57 miles per week) and struggle each and every week to get 40 miles, you hurt your team in 2 ways. Using that example, your team will need to make up 17 miles somewhere to have a chance to reach the team goal (worth 10 points) and then you would count against the number of team members reaching their individual weekly goal (6 points).

If you had a 1000 mile goal (19 mpw) and then run 28mpw, in the short term, you help you team with the extra miles. Long term, you reach your yearly goal in September or October. When that happens, your miles still count towards the 10 points, but your team cannot get 100% for team members reaching their individual weekly goal. This can really impact the playoffs. It didn't come down to it, but my team had a path to winning our round if each person just ran 100% of their weekly goal for weeks 2 and 3 because all 8 of us had not reached our yearly goal. our competition had 2 runners who already reached their goal, so best they could do was 75% (8 runners, 2 counted against the team).

Now the wild card. If you had a 3000 mile goal, went on IR for a lengthy period and then ended the year with 2000 miles, it could have no impact or even help your team. Basically, you would have one or two weeks pre-IR that hurt in the short term because you need 1 week with 0 miles. Once on IR, the team goal adjusts, so you can recover from injury. If you then come back and pick up running 57+ miles per week, it doesn;t hurt the team and since you don't run out of miles at the end of the year, you potentially help.

I tend to pick my yearly goal based on a weekly goal that I feel I can force myself to do most weeks.

Except in leap years. 

The side benefit of eliminating the pace bunny method is that the current way is much less confusing mathematically imho.

Dave

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

We have 50 people signed up --- 47 for teams and 3 individuals. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Monday update: 52 team participants and 4 individuals signed up.

Team Sign Up Deadline is this coming Sunday night. December 12.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I tend to pick my yearly goal based on a weekly goal that I feel I can force myself to do most weeks.

I set my goal but now has me rethinking: I run with crazy high variance in my weekly numbers. If you want to check, look at my 2021, I am going to be right around 2K miles. However, I had almost every week until April being in the teens, and then almost every week in July being 60+. What goal am I supposed to set there? I feel like maybe I'm not the best teammate if my goal is 40 miles per week, but I miss that goal half the time and the other half I'm blowing it out of the water

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I set my goal but now has me rethinking: I run with crazy high variance in my weekly numbers. If you want to check, look at my 2021, I am going to be right around 2K miles. However, I had almost every week until April being in the teens, and then almost every week in July being 60+. What goal am I supposed to set there? I feel like maybe I'm not the best teammate if my goal is 40 miles per week, but I miss that goal half the time and the other half I'm blowing it out of the water

So set a goal that is lower to start the year and bump it up in June. If your first half of the year is going to be 20 miles per week average bc that's what you can do, then set your goal at 1000 miles. Bump it up to 2000 miles in June. Every single person in the game should realize there are up weeks with training peaks/better weather/good running and down weeks for taper/illness/busy life/recovery. We ask you to set a challenging but attainable mileage goal. And when you are on a team, that means working together so in weeks where one person knows they will come up short, someone else can help cover those miles. It's not a perfect game, but hopefully it gives everyone the push to get out on days where they need that extra push.

Does that make sense, JMac?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That makes perfect sense. I will set my goal to be what I expect to average weekly through June 30.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That makes perfect sense. I will set my goal to be what I expect to average weekly through June 30.

I know I'm not going to be able to run 28 miles a week through February when the windchills hit -40. I set a lower goal for the first half of the year as well. I get it. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

It depends? If you have a 3000 mile goal (57 miles per week) and struggle each and every week to get 40 miles, you hurt your team in 2 ways. Using that example, your team will need to make up 17 miles somewhere to have a chance to reach the team goal (worth 10 points) and then you would count against the number of team members reaching their individual weekly goal (6 points).

If you had a 1000 mile goal (19 mpw) and then run 28mpw, in the short term, you help you team with the extra miles. Long term, you reach your yearly goal in September or October. When that happens, your miles still count towards the 10 points, but your team cannot get 100% for team members reaching their individual weekly goal. This can really impact the playoffs. It didn't come down to it, but my team had a path to winning our round if each person just ran 100% of their weekly goal for weeks 2 and 3 because all 8 of us had not reached our yearly goal. our competition had 2 runners who already reached their goal, so best they could do was 75% (8 runners, 2 counted against the team).

Now the wild card. If you had a 3000 mile goal, went on IR for a lengthy period and then ended the year with 2000 miles, it could have no impact or even help your team. Basically, you would have one or two weeks pre-IR that hurt in the short term because you need 1 week with 0 miles. Once on IR, the team goal adjusts, so you can recover from injury. If you then come back and pick up running 57+ miles per week, it doesn;t hurt the team and since you don't run out of miles at the end of the year, you potentially help.

The important parts in bold. The playoffs are when things can get really serious and all of a sudden teams are putting up 8/10 runners hitting their goal, and if they're already down one runner literally everyone has to hit their goal. I'm pretty sure everyone tries to get 120% of their goal leading into the playoffs, then again IN the playoffs.

JMac You're overthinking it. It's just running. Just go run, and you'll figure out how you're doing it wrong when you do it wrong. It really is that simple. Perhaps average 2019 mileage, factor in what races you'll be running and the training load you've done previously, and see where it puts you for an annual mileage. I'd think you could hit 2,500 for the year and get by without upsetting your team. Not everyone gets their weekly mileage. Plenty of people still take vacations, or just don't hit the miles. I think one year a teammate's goal was something like 7 miles a week and it was frustrating to see him never check in and rarely hit his mile.....while Ryan Root was blasting everythign out of the water.

oh yeah, races count for points too. I think there is a Longest run, highest total weekly mileage, fastest race, and a few other top 3 people can earn to get their team bonus points.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

oh yeah, races count for points too. I think there is a Longest run, highest total weekly mileage, fastest race, and a few other top 3 people can earn to get their team bonus points.

Race points have been suspended since 2020 and we will start the new year with race points suspended.

We ask everyone to read through all the information threads where this is detailed.  Longest run is not worth points.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Update: We are at 58 runners signed up for teams and 5 runners signed up for the individual game.

Deadline to sign up for teams is SUNDAY, DECEMBER 12. That is this weekend.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

UPDATE: 63 team runners and 5 individual runners!! Sunday is your last day to tell us you want to be put on a team!

>>> 2022 Game Registration is here <<

Half Fanatic #9292.