how long does it take to become a trail runner (Read 262 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

I'm interested in trying a trail half marathon. I've run about 18,000 miles over the last 7 years, but all on asphalt or treadmills. How long do you think it would take to be able to run a half on a difficult looking trail. They say it's marked, but has some interesting features, including a big hill. Others' experiences in making the switch?

How long is the drive to the trail?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      JimR

Better get out on some trails and practice.  Trail running has a certain 'knack' to it for looking down, up and ahead all at once, lest you find yourself sprawled out on a pathway and limping home.  Are you in Canada and is this one of the 5 Peaks series?

rlopez

There are trails and then there are TRAILS.  I'd be interesting in learning what "big hill" means.

Anyway, if it truly is gnarly, it is nice to practice a few times.  Definitely learn how to carry your own hydration. Trail races have great aid stations (usually) but they are farther apart than you are used to.

As for how long it takes...

I've been running a mix of roads and trails since about 2002.  I've been running trails almost exclusively since 2012.  It is 2015.  I'm still not sure if I'm a trail runner. Or I totally am.  Point is, you just go out and try and learn.  You'll like it.  Well, you might not.  But you might.

How long is the drive to the trail?

How long does it take you to put your shoes on?  You can do as much or as little training on trails as you want but there is no reason you can't just go run the race.  It just may not be easy.

The two biggest factors in trail racing are elevation and technical difficulty.  Elevation can be trained for via roads or treadmill, it's the technical stuff that takes practice.  It.doesn't mean you can't do well without practice.  My wife's first venture into trail running was Ice Age 50k and she took 2nd OA female.

northernman

Fight The Future

It's the Moab marathon (but just the half version). Elevation looks big, to me, but maybe not for you all.

elevation

Also, I'm a sea level person, so oxygen might be a bit of a problem.

mikeymike

O2 Shouldn't be an issue at those elevations.

Runners run

I'd never run trails and entered a trail half marathon a few months ago and it was a blast.   But a heck of a lot harder than I had expected.  My time was about 50  minutes slower than normal HM time and I fell down 5 times.......those pesky rocks, roots and water crossing (and I think a few gremlins too) will grab you when you least expect it...

I'd advise a little trail practice and not going cold turkey like I did but on the other hand its only 13 miles so you could handle it.    If you've got some decent trails with some rocks and roots (I think the term is 'technical') on them perhaps you could hit them once per week before the race just so you know what you're getting into....

Also, although runners in general are really friendly and supportive, I found the trail runners to be especially supportive and positive....

Champions are made when no one is watching

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I did a face plant up until my 6th race.Now I only fall every other trail race.Run some steps to get use to climbing hills.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

northernman

Fight The Future

I did a face plant up until my 6th race.Now I only fall every other trail race.Run some steps to get use to climbing hills.

I wonder if it's medically contraindicated for me to take up trail running. Last year after I broke my arm, my endocrinologist told me I have moderate osteoporosis, and gave me the advice "Don't fall down anymore". It sounds like falling down is a required part of trail running.

hog4life

I started running some trails this past fall, and love it. It's a different kind of running that I wish I could do more of. Keep your eyes on the ground, you will probably fall too. Expect your paces to be much slower. Try to do a few practice runs, it's quite different with a lot of lateral movement trying to dodge the roots and rocks.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I wonder if it's medically contraindicated for me to take up trail running. Last year after I broke my arm, my endocrinologist told me I have moderate osteoporosis, and gave me the advice "Don't fall down anymore". It sounds like falling down is a required part of trail running

I believe it is a rule.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Keep your eyes on the ground, you will probably fall too.

Look up. Fall down.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

jmctav23

2/3rds training

as long as it takes you to buy a buff and a pair of salomons....