RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

I thought it was fun, definitely underrated, but not in the same league as Fargo. I'd still put Blood Simple at the top of the Coen brothers list. That's what (justly) put them on the map in the first place.

Fargo it is. I'll never look at a wood chipper the same again.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Fargo it is. I'll never look at a wood chipper the same again.

Ha, we live in a neighborhood where new lots are being cleared on a weekly basis.  I find myself REALLY running wide around all the wood chippers!! Shocked

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SheCan

I thought it was fun, definitely underrated, but not in the same league as Fargo. I'd still put Blood Simple at the top of the Coen brothers list. That's what (justly) put them on the map in the first place.

I've now added Blood Simple to my must see list, and am baffled at how I somehow have overlooked it.  I always think I must have been missing the joke or something on Fargo, it just never did it for me.  I even re-watched it thinking i'd figure out the appeal, and never did.  The wood chipper scene didn't even thrill.  I mean I didn't hate it or anything, just didn't feel the love.  Weird, because I DO like most of the Coen brother films so much.

That said, I watched Cloud Atlas.  I found it a rather interesting movie, one that forced me to pay attention.  It was fun trying to identify the actors in the various scenes.  The birth mark was a good touch.  I was left thinking "What does it all mean though?"  My daughter said she felt she understood more with the 2nd watching.  I dunno if I want to do it again just yet.

The Trouble with the Curve--- really not a bad movie for something with so little action.  Then again, I like all the actors in it-- Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, John Goodman, Justin Timberlake.  I'm not a big baseball fan, but I dunno, it still wasn't bad if you don't have a lot else going on, but considering the talent in this movie, it could have been much more.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

The Trouble with the Curve--- really not a bad movie 

FYP.

I found that one practically unwatchable. The handful of decent lines & scenes were all in the trailer. And I'm a huge baseball fan; it really wasn't much of a baseball movie. And I do otherwise like all the actors as well.

Back to the Coen Bros, specifically True Grit. Never saw the original, not much interest in old westerns in general. But the Coens' version was brilliant. Jeff Bridges' performance was something truly special. My parents were talking about seeing that when it was in the theaters; I told them they had to wait till it came on video. My dad is pretty hard of hearing, I told him there was no way he'd be able to understand any of Bridges' dialogue & would need the closed captions.

Dave

RunJasonRun

I shook the dust off a couple of old 1970s favorites today...

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry

This is one of the most fun car chase movies in history, and there's nothing like watching this sort of thing from the days before CGI effects.

Race with the Devil

This has always been one of my favorite 1970s flicks.  While vacationing in an RV in a rural area, two couples witness a witchcraft cult performing a human sacrifice, and then find themselves chased and harassed by the cult for miles to come.  This is the ultimate late night popcorn movie, complete with killer car chases, violent showdowns, creepy backwoods personalities, and even a rattlesnake attack.

I love this sort of old-school grindhouse cinema.  The type of movies that one might have found in the moldy back room of a video rental store in the middle of nowhere.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

zonykel

Went to watch "now you see me" with my 11-year old son. he was looking forward to this movie and he enjoyed it. Me? I thought the beginning was OK, but the story got weaker as it progressed.

CT JEFF

Spirit of the Marathon II - Movie Premier

Wednesday, June 12 @ 7pm

Spirit of the Marathon II

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Spirit of the Marathon II - Movie Premier

Wednesday, June 12 @ 7pm

Spirit of the Marathon II

Just got home from seeing it! My 21 yr old dd went with me--she's interested in starting running now. Smile

BeeRunB

Listened to The Doors' first album a few times this morning while working.  One of those records where there are no throwaway tunes. "The End"  always reminds me of Apocalypse Now. The use of the song in that movie was just perfect, as if both were made for each other, a decade apart.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

SheCan

Transcend 

That looks really interesting.  I like how they seem to put it in context of world events, rather then show the competition in a vacuum.

Went to watch "now you see me" with my 11-year old son. he was looking forward to this movie and he enjoyed it. Me? I thought the beginning was OK, but the story got weaker as it progressed.

My DD saw that one recently and said the exact same thing.

I watched Beyond the Candelabra this past weekend.  I was really impressed by Michael Douglas's performance.  The characters came across as very real.  My DH wasn't that comfortable sitting through it, and snuck out on me.   I however, thought it was very engaging and watched the whole thing.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

R.I.P. James Gandolfini.

Honestly, I thought he looked rather ill in "Killing Them Softly"   Still so sad, I thought he was a fine actor.

Cherie

only 180 or so sleeps until the return of Ron Burgundy & Co:

mta pic

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

zonykel

Just saw "World war z" with my 14-year old today. Decent popcorn movie. But I can't help but notice many holes in the logic. But then again, we're talking about zombies here.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Just saw "World war z" with my 14-year old today. Decent popcorn movie. But I can't help but notice many holes in the logic. But then again, we're talking about zombies here.

I've been afraid it would be that kind of movie.  I'm currently reading (well, listening to) the book,  and rather than a single narrative about the genesis and progression of the outbreak, and how it was solved, it's presented as a archive, recorded after the "war,"  of experiences related by individuals from all over the world, from many, many different angles - political, medical, societal, military, economic, and yes, a few stories about individuals trying to get to safety.  The voice acting in the audio book (which I just learned from going to that linked site is still abridged, arrgh) is absolutely top-notch, and really emphasizes how differently a "zombie apocalypse" would be viewed by, say, the head of a pharmaceutical company manufacturing a "preventative" and an astronaut on the International Space Station working to keep the satellite network running before his supplies run out.

From what I understand, the movie is pretty much, "hey, here's Brad Pitt, and a LOT of zombies!  Like, more than other zombie movies have!  Zombies!"

To be fair, I don't think any one movie could do the book justice.  If you think about a real event like World War II, there isn't a single movie that I can think of that gives the whole picture of that war as a linear narrative.  It was so complex and nuanced, I don't know how it could be done without being a) ridiculously long, and b) fairly boring.  What we have instead is a pretty good representation (as far as I know) of what that time was like, as told from hundreds of different viewpoints in hundreds of different voices.

That's really what this book needs.  It does such a good job of painting a picture of this fictitious event as a global epic, fully deserving of the title "World War," it would really need to be a sub-genre in itself, like we have with "World War II movies."  Or at the very least, a few collections of shorts like Animatrix.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people