1/2 marathon pace HELP (cash on the line) (Read 1043 times)

I need to break 1:45:00 (8:01 pace) in 10 days in Nashville (cash bet) and was looking for help with my pace. Running 20 mph for last 6 months with one month off due to injury. Current races are a 21:53 (7:04 pace) 5k and a 49:47 (7:37 pace) 1/4 marathon. My thoughts were to run an even pace for 10 miles then race a 5K but I don't know how fast I can race a 5K after 10 miles. My thoughts: 10 miles @ 8:10 for 1:21:40 then a 5K in 23:20 (7:32). I would love the opinions of some seasoned racers. Do you think this is a good plan? Is a 7:32 pace too aggressive based on my history and training? Thank you each in advance for your time.
    mikeymike

Start at 8:10 but work downt o 8:00 pace over the first 4-5 miles then just run. You'll either get it or you wont' based on your fitness. Trying to get too fine on planning exact mile splits will mess you all up. Planning to go from 8:10 to 7:32 pace at the 10 mile mark sounds a bit extreme anyway. Might be a good workout, but if you consider 8:00 for 13.1 to be the edge of what you're capable of, that's NOT the best way to try and do it.

Runners run

Even or slightly negative splits is definitely the way to go. Trying to bank too much time early or leaving yourself with too much to make up in the end is probably a mistake. I think you have your work cut out for you. No doubt you could do it with lots of room to spare if you'd run more mileage, but you haven't. You've allowed yourself some wiggle room, though, so you might make it. With enough milege your 5k says you could run in 7:40's for HM. If I were you I'd get in one more long one as soon as possible so that you'll have time to recover--like today or tomorrow. If you wait it would be too close to your race, but if you don't get one in you could be short on endurance. Let us know how this turns out. I'm curious. Good luck.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          I need to break 1:45:00 (8:01 pace) in 10 days in Nashville (cash bet) and was looking for help with my pace. Running 20 mph for last 6 months with one month off due to injury. .
          If you are running 20 miles per hour maybe you should be running the 100 meter sprints in the Beijing Olympics Tongue

Prince of Fatness

I agree with the others in that you have your work cut out for you based on your weekly mileage. I also agree that you should try for even or slightly negative splits. Going out fast is probably the worst thing you could do. You may want to make yourself a pace band with 8 minute mile splits on it, and try to stick close to those numbers through the race.

Not at it at all. 

Start at 8:10 but work down to 8:00 pace over the first 4-5 miles then just run.
              I agree with this race strategy. I also think you'll run a sub 1:43. Thats my bet. Having something on the line more than just you against the clock will give you more willpower than you realize.
                Thanks everybody. That was exactly what I was looking for. I'll try to keep my splits between 8:00 and 8:05. If I feel good with 2 miles of so left then I will let it fly. When I started training the goal was a 1:52:00. After a few double or nothings (sub 50 1/4 marathon), the bet is down to 1:45:00. I really don't think I've bit off more then I can chew but we'll see. Thanks again! I'll post my time after the race on this thread.

Right on Hereford...

If you are running 20 miles per hour maybe you should be running the 100 meter sprints in the Beijing Olympics Tongue
                  Nope, you would need to run at least 22 miles per hour for that!
                    1:41:34 (7:45). Very very very happy.
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, great job! What were your splits? You need to write a race report!
                      JimR

Hey, that's good! Happy about the time or the cash?
                          Yeah, we need a report. And bet details. Way to go.
                            Wow, great job! What were your splits? You need to write a race report!
                            1st of all thank you for anyone who had any doubts about me hitting 1:45:00. I love all the motivation I can get. As for a quick report: Wanted to run 8:00 to 8:05 through out and then race the final 2 miles (in maybe 7:30-7:40's or so). I just wanted to make sure I didn't go out too fast (like always). Well, I went out what I thought was too fast and continued that trend. At about mile 7, I felt great, was way ahead of my goal split, and confident for the remaining 6. I ended up running negative splits for most of the day. Overall it was just a great day. 1:41:34 has really made me want to break 1:30:00 (a make I though once impossible for a Clydesdale). 5K- 24:52 (8:01) 6mi- 47:55 (8:00) 10mi- 1:18:44 (7:53) 13.1- 1:41:34 (7:46) Splits are as follows: 1- 7:55 2- 7:59 3- 8:06 (hill) 4- 8:01 5- 7:50 6- 8:04 7- 8:14 (hill) 8/9- 15:11 (missed the 8 mile marker) 10- 7:25 11- 7:38 12- 7:28 13- 7:45 (hill) As for the cash, it was a lot. More then you think.
                              You had very good game plan going into it; your 5k time was easily good enough, now a couple of questions, did you wear a heart rate monitor or what was your overall exertion feeling, really pushing it or comfort level till you knew you could do it at mile 9 or 10 and then pushed it; do you feel you left anything in the tank, and what shoe did you run in?

Prince of Fatness

Wow! Congratulations!

Not at it at all.