Training for my 1st half...a ? or 10;) (Read 470 times)

HappyDuck

I am traning for my first half sometime this spring. I JUST ran my first double digit on Thursday 10.50 miles in 90 minutes. That was on my treadmill, I live in northern Iowa so that is just sane to run inside. I have done one 5k, one 10k and am moving up to the half now. I only run everyother day, and usually do one long run a week, two if I get stressed! I have read a LOT about training, but I see lots of the programs say "a 10 mile run is enough, the last three miles during a race will come easy". I dont buy it. I felt great after my run on Thursday, I could have kept going but I want to finish strong, not just finish. Any comments on the miles I should have behind me for the half? Also, I can not drink water while I run (upsets my tummy Wink that is no bother to me now, but will it be an issue during the race? Dehydration concerns me. I am 5' 6" and only weigh 94 pounds so I dont have that much water to loose. I use candy corn while I run because you have to drink when you use gels......well, that and it gives me an excuse to eat candy corn!! Any other snack ideas to carry with me for a quick boost? One more ? I cant stand belts to carry snacks in, does anyone have a specific pouch that they can share the info about? One that does not bounce around. Thank you so much for your help with all of my newbie issues. Ang
    Somewhere someone out there is training when your not and when you race him, he will beat you!
      I don't think the final 3 will come easy, but I say, if you can do 10, you can do a half. I think you'll have to experiment with drinking on the run. How much you need depends on many factors, including weather and how well you're hydrated ahead of time. If you are getting an upset tummy, perhaps you're drinking too much: Try a mouthful or two. I've taken gels sans water many times. As for belts and your dislike: Perhaps you can find shorts with pockets. I have several Adidas shorts with a zipper pocket in the back. Stuff doesn't bounce. I'd put the snacks in a zip snack sized bag. Good luck!
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

There are also wrist band pockets.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

If you just want to complete a half then 10 miles is probably okay. But if you want to get the best time you can then you'll probably find yourself fading over the last few miles, regardless of how reasonable you think your pace is at the start. Of course if you're just aiming to finish you won't care about this. Doing long runs of 12+ will really help you maintain a good pace through the last few miles. But one step at a time, it may be smart to complete a half first and then up the long run mileage a little if you want to beat that time. I also have difficulty drinking when running. This is another reason for trying some longer runs of race distance (or race duration) - you can experiment with different options. You may find you can drink if you stop, or you may find that you can slowly acclimate your stomach. I've learned that I can drink a little if I come to a complete stop. I do this in the one longer race I do (2 hours). Since I'm planning on running a marathon I'm practicing on longer runs by doing two 8 mile loops and stopping for thirty seconds to take on fluid at the half way mark. Results so far have been variable...... It is perfectly possible to run a half marathon without taking on any fluids, I've done the last couple like this and I prefer it to the stomach cramping I get when drinking. On long runs (of a couple of hours) I can lose around 8 or 9lbs if it is warm without feeling unduly thirsty (either before or afterwards). (I'm 6'2 and 160lbs). If I lose much more than this, if the weather is hotter, then I tend to develop a thirst that is hard to quench afterwards. But beer works well.... I think I read somewhere that not losing more than 5% body weight was one rule of thumb. If you want some hard data then Noakes (Lore of running) has a whole section. The historical data is interesting - he cites the great Jim Peters 'every effort should be made to do without liquid' and the various IAAF rulings that discouraged marathon runners from drinking (IAAF rules used to prohibit refreshmentst before the 15km mark). Drinking water during the race was, apparently, seen as a weakness. Noakes also cites Jackie Meckler 'To run a complete marathon without any fluid replacement was regarded as the ultimate aim of most runners, and a test of their fitness.' Apparently when Meckler won the 90km Comrades Marathon in South Africa he had his first drink at 60km ! Times have changed.... I'm not recommending not drinking, I'm just pointing out that it is a possible strategy if you know your limits.
          Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

HappyDuck

That is great insite. Thank you so much for the advice. I will try to drink a bit, but to tell you the truth.....I really have no interest in running with cramps for mile after mile. I guess if no liquid is what works for me then that is just the way it is. I will stick with my candy corn and be happy that I am getting my training in. Thanks again for the resources. I will check them out. Ang
            Somewhere someone out there is training when your not and when you race him, he will beat you!
              The water stops, can provide a mental relief more than the actual need to have water. Something to look forward to and possibly a small walk break at the water tables. If you can't handle fluid ingestion just pour water over your head/face, will feel amazing after the 10 mile mark (just make sure you use water and not gatorade if that is offered in the race). During fall/winter training I do my runs upto 90 min without any water, but above that I'll carry about 16 oz.