Olympic Marathon (Read 1594 times)

As a Canadian, i must admit some degree of envy for the strength and depth of the U.S. running team, and even the access to information about Olympic trials etc. There is a new Canadian running magazine now, which is most welcome, and there has been some buzz on Canadian running boards about Tyler Alexander in the 400m, and Jon Brown and Steve Osaduik for the marathon. Unfortunately, Canada is requiring marathoners to reach not just the A Olympic qualifying standard, but the A plus, and it seems Osaduik may not achieve this. Brown is originally English born, though a Canadian citizen, and resident here since the early 1990's with two kids born in Canada, so fully eligible to compete for Canada. Because of the conditions the finishing order MAY be a bit of a lottery, but if I were betting I would expect the temp/humidity/pollution to slow the entire field about equally, so the finishing order should not be too weird. As to the original question, I suppose logic would dictate the finishing order of the American men would be likely the same as at the trials, provided they are all healthy, but you never know. I find Sell and Hall quite a contrast in running styles, Hall is poetry in motion, flows as smoothly as water downhill, Sell is working very hard and it looks like he is working very hard. I admire the guts of Sell as much as the grace of Hall, Ritzenheim has a steely determination too, so can't be counted out, but perhaps a more natural 10,000 runner at this point in his career, in my opinion. I know less about the U.S. women, I suppose Deena Kastor is the best hope for a medal, but can't help hoping Paula Radcliffe makes up for the disappointment of Athens. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Simon - I think Canada rivals Kenya in this way only...a horrible Olympic team selection process! Kenya has such amazing depth that someone is always going to be left off the team that could medal but they should still pick the team sooner and in a more forthright manner...it seems the athletes are always guessing at what will be the selection criteria. Canada - I just don't know why they don't want to send as many as possible that meet the qualifying standards. Very silly in my opinion!
        Thanks, Chris. The finishing order in a marathon are very difficult to guess. Before the US Olympic Trials I would have guessed Meb Kefflezighi (sp?) and possibly Culpepper would have been likely to be in the top three, so given how unpredictable performance on a given day can be, it makes sense to send as many runners as possible. Our programme is focused on reaching the podium, rather than building depth, or developing younger athletes. This has been the subject of much discussion about short and long term goals. I suspect some countries are basing teams on which runners are willing to act as pacers and work together as a team rather than pursue individual goals. I cannot picture anyone asking Brian Sell how he'd feel about pacing Ryan Hall for 38-40kms then letting him go by! Who knows? Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

When you add oppressive heat and terrible pollution it turns the race into a complete crap shoot. The best runner probably will not win. Why they contest important races such as these under such horrible conditons I will never know. It's anybody's guess which of our guys will finish highest, even though Hall is clearly best--possibly even good enough to contend for the gold under normal conditions.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Bugs

between runs, they did almost nothing but lie around, sip tea, eat, and sleep.
            That's how I'd like to train, esp. the eating part. Smile

Bugs

The Greatest of All Time

That's how I'd like to train, esp. the eating part. Smile
              You and me both. Between runs I just lie around at work, sip coffee and eat. Unlike you, I don't have a closet at work to nap in. Wink
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Bugs

You and me both. Between runs I just lie around at work, sip coffee and eat. Unlike you, I don't have a closet at work to nap in. Wink
                No closet? That sucks. You better get even my stealing pencils.

Bugs

When you add oppressive heat and terrible pollution it turns the race into a complete crap shoot.
                  I agree. I think the person who wins in Beijing just might be someone with a decent PB (2:07-2:08) who is very good in the heat and can handle the surges. There's a very good chance that we'll have never heard of him. One person I would pick for the win is Mubarak Hassan Shami, who's coached by Renato Canova. He was 8th in the heat at Mombasa last year, compared with 32nd in cool weather at Fukuoka and 23rd on Sunday in Edinburgh. He also won silver in Osaka and has a PB of 2:07.
                  Hannibal Granite

I agree. I think the person who wins in Beijing just might be someone with a decent PB (2:07-2:08) who is very good in the heat and can handle the surges. There's a very good chance that we'll have never heard of him. One person I would pick for the win is Mubarak Hassan Shami, who's coached by Renato Canova. He was 8th in the heat at Mombasa last year, compared with 32nd in cool weather at Fukuoka and 23rd on Sunday in Edinburgh. He also won silver in Osaka and has a PB of 2:07.
                    So Mubarak can't win now b/c you have heard of him Smile Kidding aside I think at least 2 of the 3 medalists will be guys who are solid performers who few pick before the race. The winner will be capable of running at least 2:06-2:07 (even if he runs 2:11) Basically, look at the top-10 rankings last year add in a couple names who weren't there, but that you've heard of (Paul Tergat for example) and one of them will get a medal of some color. The other two will be guys who have finished top-10 in a few major races, but who haven't yet broken through. Fortunately, Ryan Hall was ranked in the top-10 in the world last year so is in that first group, Ritz and Sell would both fall into the second group so maybe America gets 2 medals Smile Okay probably not, but that would be really cool. I honestly think America's best chance at an Olympic medal was 4th in the trials (Khalid Kannouchi) and will only get to go if Ritz decides to do the 10,000m instead. Of the three who made the trials Hall has by far the best chance at a medal, followed by Sell who is tough, can grind away and will be catching people late who go out to fast, but may have to many people between him and a medal when the racing starts.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

I love Brian Sell, but I'll be shocked beyond words if he medals. Top 5 or top 10 would be a more reasonable goal. Hall is the best chance for America. Khannouchi isn't that best chance because, well, he keeps getting older and older. I think he's arguably the most underrated marathoner ever (2:05 twice, beat Geb and Tergat in the same race), but his day was unfortunately a long time ago. Injuries and age have brought him back down to earth. He did manage a 2:07 while semi-fit two years ago, but even that was two years ago.

Imminent Catastrophe

With Geb out, here's my prediction: Hall takes the gold, but is disqualified for wearing an iPod.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

JakeKnight

Hall takes the gold, but is disqualified for wearing an iPod.
                          I just snarfed Diet Coke out my nose. Who should I send the bill for my new keyboard?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

kcam

Just got back from Beijing. Got a look at the stadium and it looks like they have a long way to go. This was as close as we could get. BTW, I have been to Beijing several times before this and the air pollutioin was the worst I've seen (or actually smelled) it there. It reminds me of the smell of carburator dip. I think it WILL affect the marathon.

shonan marathon, girl

I agree about the pollution in Beijing. What an ugly stadium. I can't imagine anyone running a marathon there. I also can't imagine the 10k open water swim competition. I wouldn't be surprised to see athletes pull out from this year's summer Olympics due to the pollution. By the way, every year skies in Japan are polluted from winds carrying tons of sand, dirt and dust all the way from China.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

kcam

I thought it was ugly as well. It's supposed to be a bird's nest. Hopefully, Hall and the other Americans won't lay an egg there.