Need midfoot strike shoes - but not Newtons - Suggestions? (Read 3347 times)

I just sprang for some Mizuno Wave Precisions....I don't know what number they're up to now,,,,11?

They've got a flexier sole than some other performance trainers but more cajones than minimalist flats....and were about $100.00. I got a little over 400 miles out of the last pair I had. I also liked the Brooks Racer ST's, but they were shorter-lived than some other shoes in that style.

And, what Mikey said.

Tiefsa

Thanks for all the ideas.  I don't like running barefoot by the way.  It just isn't comfortable unless I am on some nice grass field, plus here in Wisconsin, it's kinda cold in the winter to be barefooting it.  I kind of like the feel of shoes when I'm running.

Hobby Jogger Especial!

I have the Saucony Grid Type A4, Inov8 F-lite 195 and NB Minimus trail.  I like them all for different things.  Although the NB Minimus trails are narrow. I also just ordered a pair of Saucony Hattori (zero drop) from running warehouse. If you go on runblogger.com and click on the running warehouse icon, you can get 10% off.

On both the Saucony Grid Type A4 and Inov8 F-lite 195, I have about 150-200 miles on them. They're both wearing very well.  The only draw back I see for the Grid Type A4 is that rocks get stuck in the drainage holes on the soles, so I only wear them for the road.

Tiefsa

I bought some Saucony Kinvaras.  They were only $80 and they feel nice.  Thanks for the help.

Turbolegs

Does anybody know if Saucony ever made the Kinvara or Kinvara 2 in width 2E?

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

promanic

No idea on Kinvara and widths, but a good low-heal flexible shoe is the Nike Free 3.0 v2. It offers some cushion, super flexible, doesn't have an over-stuffed heal, and the feel isn't squishy like the Kinvara or the Lunars. It isn't hard like a racing flat either. It's a nice compromise.

You can generally find it in the $75-$80 range. They hold up for about 400+ miles and I use them for almost all of my road miles including a slew of 20+ mile runs. The low toe to heal rise and the flexibility make it easy to run mid-foot. The grooves in the sole even made it reasonable in the snow on roads this winter. One issue I did have was that the road salt did not play nice with the mesh portion of the uppers and that is the reason I averaged 400 miles at most on a pair.

ilp

I switched to New Balance Minimus road shoe and they have been great. They are firmer in the foot, so if you like a very cushy ride (like the Gel Asics), then it takes some getting used to. I also test-ran in some Saucony Kirvanas and was actually fairly happy with those, as they felt softer, more like your standard running shoe.

So far no problems. My shoe progression: Asics GT-2130/2140 (nice and cushy, but seemed to wear down quickly, like 300 miles or so) -> Nike Lunarglide 2s (a lil' less cushy, but maintained good feel thru 600 miles) --> NB Minimus (at 200 miles now and feeling fine/no problems).

I've only ever mid-foot-striked, so it's been nice to get rid of the bulky wheel. The shoes are more compact and weigh a little less. Flexibility is great, I can do quick direction shifts and things feel natural.

Never tried barefoot running or Vibrams, so can't compare to that.

ilp

I bought some Saucony Kinvaras.  They were only $80 and they feel nice.  Thanks for the help.

I think you'll be happy with these. Good choice.

My kinvaras are awesome so far but they only have 100 miles on them  It will take a few more hundred to tell how they hold up.  So far so good.  I also have a pair of the New Balance minimalist road shoes and they are good for my faster tempo runs.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

I don't get it.  I've always thought that one of the advantages of having a natural mid-foot strike was that I can wear just about any lightweight neutral trainer or racing flat.

+3.  Why don't you try to learn to run mid-foot strike instead of relying on shoes to do that for you?  Otherwise, suppose you find the perfect shoes for you and, the following year, they decide to discontinue that particular model--which would most likely happen anyways--, and now you'll go back to heel-strike again.

By the way, my favorite is ASICS Piranha.  Hard NOT to run mid-foot.