Replacing Garmin watch battery (Read 857 times)

Baby bean!

I have a simple Garmin 50 and had to replace the footpod battery right out of the box.  But that was easy.  Now the watch battery has died and that's NOT so easy.  Can I just take it to any jeweler to replace the battery? Thanks!

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

Ojo

I don't know about the 50 but for the 350 you have to send it to them.  My battery starting going (it dies out at around 3 hours) so I called them about replacing.  I was told that Garmin has to replace the battery!  They are sending me a "new" watch for $79 and then I will send them mine.  Seems ridiculous to me but since my watch was 3 years old maybe I'll be getting a newer watch.

Sara

MM #2929

I don't know about the 50 but for the 350 you have to send it to them.  My battery starting going (it dies out at around 3 hours) so I called them about replacing.  I was told that Garmin has to replace the battery!  They are sending me a "new" watch for $79 and then I will send them mine.  Seems ridiculous to me but since my watch was 3 years old maybe I'll be getting a newer watch.

I believe it will be a refurbished watch

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Blowin Hard

Sushigirl

I too have a 50 and the battery in the watch went very soon after getting it.  It is possible to change it yourself but easier to get the man in the shop to do it for you.  It takes a very standard battery.

Still Blowin Hard

My 205 stopped charging, but it was so sudden that I don't think it is the battery.  I think I probably lost one of the contact connections, and Garmin wanted $79.00 for a "standard repair fee".  Since the things aren't incredibly durable anyway, I opted to spend another $50.00 and get a new one from amazon.com.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

an amazing likeness

Garmin wanted $79.00 for a "standard repair fee". 

Just an fyi, based on my experience, the "standard repair fee' means "..we'll ship you a refurbished unit", which is a good thing to my opinion.

I've never gotten the unit I sent back from Garmin. (based on serial numbers)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Just an fyi, based on my experience, the "standard repair fee' means "..we'll ship you a refurbished unit", which is a good thing to my opinion.

I've never gotten the unit I sent back from Garmin. (based on serial numbers)

That's what I figured, and I didn't want to inherit someone else's problem.  Apparently the cases don't have any screws, they are glued together.  Since I have nothing to lose, I'll open it up and take a peek when I get a chance.  I might be able to get it back in service as a backup.

Looks like the price dropped a little more for the 205, it's down to $125.97 with free shipping.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

an amazing likeness

The refurbs have been good as new, and include full set of accessories (chargers, cables).  I wouldn't fear them based on my experience. 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

That's what I figured, and I didn't want to inherit someone else's problem.  Apparently the cases don't have any screws, they are glued together.  Since I have nothing to lose, I'll open it up and take a peek when I get a chance.  I might be able to get it back in service as a backup.

Looks like the price dropped a little more for the 205, it's down to $125.97 with free shipping.

Out of warrantee for a 205 is 69 dollars and includes return shipping. You DO NOT inherit any ones problems. The unit is basically new, you could not tell the difference. It is also loaded with the latest software.

I accidentally closes my car trunk on my 301 and broke the screen. garmin replaced it for 69 dollars and it looks new. Absolutely no signs of any use. Send it in and if you want something new, put it on ebay and make a few bucks.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

The refurbs have been good as new, and include full set of accessories (chargers, cables).  I wouldn't fear them based on my experience. 

I just sent my 301 in about a month ago and was told that I should not send any accesories (charger, cable, extender strap) with , they just want the unit. They actaully said if I sent any accessories, chances are I would not get them back.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

oly_runner

I have a simple Garmin 50 and had to replace the footpod battery right out of the box.  But that was easy.  Now the watch battery has died and that's NOT so easy.  Can I just take it to any jeweler to replace the battery? Thanks!

Just in case you have not figured it out. Here is the link on how to:

http://gnjmch.com/public/tips/GarminF50.Battery.html